PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can I "paint" the wall of force to block gaze attacks?

With a box
2014-05-10, 05:26 AM
SRD: Wall of force
A wall of force spell creates an invisible wall of force. The wall cannot move, it is immune to damage of all kinds, and it is unaffected by most spells, including dispel magic. However, disintegrate immediately destroys it, as does a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or a mage’s disjunction spell. Breath weapons and spells cannot pass through the wall in either direction, although dimension door, teleport, and similar effects can bypass the barrier. It blocks ethereal creatures as well as material ones (though ethereal creatures can usually get around the wall by floating under or over it through material floors and ceilings). Gaze attacks can operate through a wall of force.
1. Can I "paint" the wall of force to block gaze attacks?

TuggyNE
2014-05-10, 06:06 AM

What would you paint it with? A box? J/K

Gemini476
2014-05-10, 06:09 AM
What would you paint it with? A box? J/K

Paint, presumably?

Although some liquid metal coating that makes it into a mirror might be better.

With a box
2014-05-10, 06:25 AM
Paint, presumably?

Then, it wiil be a wall of mirror?
polish a wall of iron might be cheaper for make a wall of mirror (xp cost to permanency a wall of force:vaarsuvius:)

Fouredged Sword
2014-05-10, 06:42 AM
Yes, but only because the material used to paint the wall of force blocks line of sight. The wall of force doesn't, but nothing stops the wall from holding up another line of defense.

TuggyNE
2014-05-10, 06:43 AM
Paint, presumably?

I'm not sure you can make paint stick to something so ridiculously smooth (and semi-physical) as a wall of force, though.

malonkey1
2014-05-10, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure you can make paint stick to something so ridiculously smooth (and semi-physical) as a wall of force, though.

Meh, depends how your campaign handles it. Some have them as perfectly smooth, others basically make them nigh-indestructible glass.

Gemini476
2014-05-10, 08:03 AM

Mix some Sovereign Glue in the paint as you go?

Maybe you need to paint some slabs with the glue and then hold them against the Wall. Tile it.

Feint's End
2014-05-10, 08:09 AM

It's one of those cases where you should ask your dm.

On the other hand I can't really think of that many situations where you actually want to do this. I mean the time and work you put into making this trick work could be equally used to just kill whatever you are trying to hide from.

SimonMoon6
2014-05-10, 09:20 AM
You could probably put up some sort of illusion in front of the wall of force to make it look like a wall. (Will an illusion stop gaze attacks? I don't remember. At least it would stop someone from trying to use a gaze attack, I bet.)

Or use a cantrip to change the color of the wall.

ericgrau
2014-05-10, 10:43 AM
The wall is flat but not necessarily smooth. A lot of people assume it's a perfect plane since it's force, infinitely smooth and flat. But it isn't infinitely flat either. It's an inch thick.

It is hard to paint a surface that isn't rough though, nor sandable. Adhesion could be poor. While I think paint could stick it may be easy to peel off. Mixing in sovereign glue is a nice idea but then you better splash the paint within the next 6 seconds. Maybe you could major creation a cloth drape and hang it over both sides so it doesn't fall off.

You could probably put up some sort of illusion in front of the wall of force to make it look like a wall. (Will an illusion stop gaze attacks? I don't remember. At least it would stop someone from trying to use a gaze attack, I bet.)

An illusory wall, rather than a mere silent image is both permanent and won't be see-through even on a successful save (he'll only think there's nothing in his way...). On a successful save an image is partially transparent.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-10, 10:47 AM
Well, if you think of it, everything is made up of force, a wall of stone is made of bulkbits of sundry types held together in and out by force, while a wall of iron is mainly motes of iron unclefts held likewise. Or so some mad sages say.:smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 10:47 AM
Prestidigitation the WoF.
You gotta recast it every hour or so but maybe a pesisted extended prestidigitation?

Oh! Or the feat spell thematics. Theme: mirror! That ought do it

Bronk
2014-05-10, 10:49 AM
There was a magic item somewhere that created small, temporary force planes that you could use as steps... that would imply that walls of force might have enough friction on them to hold a coat of paint.

You could also put another wall up behind it... either with 'wall of stone', dirt with 'move earth', a big piece of paper, or something like that.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-10, 10:50 AM
Prestidigitation the WoF.
You gotta recast it every hour or so but maybe a pesisted extended prestidigitation?
As long as you are soiling it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm), you don't need to recast it.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-05-10, 10:51 AM
Throw a blanket over it?

Kazudo
2014-05-10, 11:14 AM
I second throwing a second wall behind it of some material. Like stone or iron. The wall of X would be there to keep you protected against gaze attacks while the wall of force is there for...well, everything else.

Alternatively, even ONE of the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil's wardings would also work, since it says (in multiple locations, specifically the "personal" and "area" applications, that it can be seen through by people inside the barrier, but not outside. It doesn't extend this to the "wall" application, however, which MAY be a problem.

And if you've got a kind enough DM who will read it as granting concealment (which negates Gazes, fortunately), then maybe they'll also grant the ability to put up a warding, then cast Wall of Force, then put up a warding behind it.

Green outside the wall, blue inside would work rather nicely. But that's probably not how anyone's going to read that as working.

toapat
2014-05-10, 11:42 AM
There was a magic item somewhere that created small, temporary force planes that you could use as steps... that would imply that walls of force might have enough friction on them to hold a coat of paint.

You could also put another wall up behind it... either with 'wall of stone', dirt with 'move earth', a big piece of paper, or something like that.

most force effects dont create the same force.

Either way its impossible to paint the wall of force (unless the surface is intentionally fractal-pitted) because even if its heavily textured on the surface, the surface is still composed of a wholly non-reactive substance. It isnt "there is poor adhesion", its that the paint cant adhere to the surface at all.