PDA

View Full Version : New Playstation 2. What should I get?

melchizedek
2007-02-12, 02:29 PM
I just got a Playstation 2 from a friend who didn't use it. I've always been a PC gamer, and have never actually owned a console before. On the PC, I generally play RTS and RPG games. I was just wondering what PS2 games I should get. I don't know the games very well, and I was hoping some people here could give me some advice.

rabish12
2007-02-12, 02:58 PM
Guilty Gear X2 Slash is good if you like fighting games and can deal with the controller, and Soul Calibur 3 is good too. There's also Devil May Cry 3, which is one of the best action titles out there (if you like that sort of thing); Okami, which is like a very original and incredibly good take on the 3D Zeldas; Resident Evil 4, which strays from the horror of the series but has extremely fun and intuitive gameplay; and Shadow of the Colossus, which is one of the most atmospheric, emotional, and epic games ever made. You may want to rent that last one rather than buy it though.

But you said that you like RTSs and RPGs, so let's cover those. The first is easy enough, as there aren't really many quality RTSs on most consoles (the only really good ones I can think of are the Kingdom Under Fire games and Ogre Battle, all of which are hybrids and none of which are available for the PS2). For RPGs, there's a lot to choose from assuming that you like JRPGs, games like Final Fantasy and the like. If you do, the system's got titles like Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy (of course), and several others. I'm sure someone else will know more of those than I do, since I'm not particularly interested in that style of game.

Now, if you like other kinds of RPGs, you might have a bit of a problem. I know that there's Final Fantasy XII, which plays almost like a single player MMORPG, and that might interest you. Aside from that, however, I haven't played many and can't think of any besides the hack-and-slash games like Dark Alliance and X-Men Legends.

Jack Squat
2007-02-12, 03:03 PM
May I be the first to suggest Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. They aren't neccessarily RPGs, but they could be considered it. Besides that, they're extremely addicting

DArKandEViL
2007-02-12, 06:36 PM
I figure you should get Radiata Stories in the RPG's, not so sure about RTS, though

Inigo_Carmine
2007-02-12, 09:14 PM
It's not a bad time to be a PS2 owner. With the next-gen consoles taking over (are they current gen yet?) prices are dropping on PS2 games. Plus, they're coming out with some bargain collections.

Instead of Devil May Cry 3, get all 3 in one set for about $30. The second one is pretty awful, but I still like the first better than the 3rd (though the third has much better graphics).

Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City/ San Andreas is also all available as one pack for about $30. it's a love it or hate it type of game, but if you love it, it's well worth the money.

There's a few noteworthy RPGs. Final Fantasy X is a technicaly marvel (graphics, gameplay mechanic-wise), though I found the plot and characters uninteresting for the most part.
I've heard nothing but good things about Dragon Quest VIII, but haven't gotten to play it yet.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Greatest Hits collection. Most can be gotten for $15-20 off amazon.com. Even some of the good newer games can be found for under $40.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-12, 10:20 PM
Well all I can say is yor safe with buying any of the final fantasy's or a kingdom hearts game. My best advice would be to rents the rpg's first than decide if you want to buy them.

melchizedek
2007-02-14, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll check some of these games out.

Shikton
2007-02-14, 03:15 AM
Get Suikoden 5. Awesome RPG, with tons and tons of characters. That goes for anyone else who doesn't have this either. Go get it.

Airk
2007-02-14, 11:33 AM
Bah. Dodge FFX. It's incredibly overrated. FF XII is pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure I like the MMO-esque combat system.

If you lean more strategically, you may want to see if you can find La Pucelle Tactics, or Disgaea (Or Disgaea 2, which is new and relatively findable.). They're strategy RPGs and pretty darn entertaining to boot. You might also want to try out Front Mission 4, though you might find the pace a bit slow if you're a twitchy RTS gamer. ;)

I'm also firmly of the opinion that no one should own a PS2 and -not- have Katamari Damacy and Okami. Those two titles are so innovative and entertaining that they really should not be missed by anyone who enjoys fun. ;)

Jothki
2007-02-14, 03:29 PM
I'd recommend Shadow of the Colossus, it's completely awesome. It is kind of like Zelda, but it is primarily a combination of boss fights against enormous enemies and wilderness exploration. The plot is simple (but not weak) and there are no real dungeons, no item upgrades (outside of a time attack mode after you beat the game) and no lesser enemies to fight, so don't go into it expecting those kinds of elements or you will be disappointed.

I second Katamari Damacy. I'd recommend getting both it and its sequel We Love Katamari, but playing the first game completely through before touching the sequel, since We Love Katamari vastly improves some of the mechanics to the point of making the original less fun. Plus, you won't be able to fully appreciate the sadism of We Love Katamari's cowbear level without playing through the original game first.

Bah. Dodge FFX. It's incredibly overrated. FF XII is pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure I like the MMO-esque combat system.

I personally liked FFX. The thing about it is that it isn't much of a Final Fantasy game, not in terms of quality but in scope. It is a game about a journey, with the world design, plot, ability system, and even the mechanics of the game reflecting this.

In my opinion, there are a number of things wrong with FFXII, the least of which is the combat system. I haven't beaten it yet, but the more I play it, the less I like it. It seems like the designers made a number of questionable decisions and squandered many of the opportunities they had that would have vastly improved the game.

For example, Why the heck did they make it so that Basch was actually innocent? They had the perfect opportunity to actually make an interesting character, but they decided to make Basch into generic disgraced hero #54642, without making any attempt whatsoever to give him any sort of personality. Imagine if the development team of FVII had decided to make it so that Barret wasn't actually a terrorist but was merely being framed by Shinra, that's pretty much what they did with Basch here.

rabish12
2007-02-14, 04:00 PM
In my opinion, there are a number of things wrong with FFXII, the least of which is the combat system. I haven't beaten it yet, but the more I play it, the less I like it. It seems like the designers made a number of questionable decisions and squandered many of the opportunities they had that would have vastly improved the game.
Eh, I was fine with it. Actually, it was the first Final Fantasy game that I've been "fine" with since Final Fantasy Tactics, likely because the plot is more politically charged than the rest (which prevents it from turning into an excessively dramatic soap opera of a game) and because it actually feels like you're playing the game rather than watching it.

For example, Why the heck did they make it so that Basch was actually innocent? They had the perfect opportunity to actually make an interesting character, but they decided to make Basch into generic disgraced hero #54642, without making any attempt whatsoever to give him any sort of personality. Imagine if the development team of FVII had decided to make it so that Barret wasn't actually a terrorist but was merely being framed by Shinra, that's pretty much what they did with Basch here.
They didn't need to do that with Barret to ruin him because they already wasted his character by basing him entirely on racial stereotypes. Besides, it's not really the same. What you're suggesting is that Barret turning out to be a manipulative villain would be the same as Basch being a regular old good guy, which isn't really that great of a parallel.
Still, I have to admit that they shouldn't have done that. Kind of took me out of the game for a little bit when it happened. Not that it really matters all that much - as I mentioned, the plot is more politically driven than character driven, so minor details involving the character aren't really nearly as important as the major events they're embroiled in.

Airk
2007-02-15, 01:24 PM
I personally liked FFX. The thing about it is that it isn't much of a Final Fantasy game, not in terms of quality but in scope. It is a game about a journey, with the world design, plot, ability system, and even the mechanics of the game reflecting this.

I don't know. I found FFX irritating on almost every possible level - Characters? Annoying. Plot? Made no sense. Combat system? Not fun. Advancement system? Once you get over the humor value of being able to make Lulu into a melee combat hoss if you want, more annoying that entertaining. Plus... OH GOD THE LINEARITY. x.x

Your example seems...well, a little nitpicky to me. Though obviously, these things have different import to different people. In addition, if they had done as you suggest, how would they actually have connected the character further to the plot? He'd have just ended up as a generic villain for you to bump off, I think.

Admittedly, the bazaar goods system is TERRIBLE (It's like the VP2 system, only more annoying! Yay!), but that's pretty minor. And I do prefer the politically motivated, somewhat smaller scale plot to yet another "OMG, the evil force will destroy the world!" thing.) And I definitely agree with Rabish that for the first time in some time, it's not a soap opera.

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-16, 12:15 AM
The Bard's Tale, Disgaea 1 and 2, Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari, Zone of the Enders 2: the Second Runner (it has a recap, or you could get ZOE 1 which isn't bad but not as great as ZOE 2), Final Fantasy XII. If we're talking PS1 games too, Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

Krytha
2007-02-16, 12:23 AM
godammit now I want a PS2 so I can play Okami. How much do those things cost anyway?

Shikton
2007-02-16, 06:11 AM
You get REALLY cheap PS2's nowadays. I bought mine for $100-ish (ok, sure, it was on sale, but the price is now stable at something like $120), had it modified (Pimp my Playstation :D) and they threw in a laser fix while at it. Having all sorts of fun with it now. Well, when my friend doesn't borrow it to play his import games that HIS modded one won't play.

prufock
2007-02-16, 07:13 AM
Not RPG or RTS, but you really can't go wrong with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. The whole series is gold. God of War is in the same style, though a bit more "kill everything" and less puzzle-solving. Also, the Lego Star Wars series is thoroughly enjoyable. Virtua Fighter 4 is a good fighting game, and I've heard good things about Star Wars Battlefront II's single player mode, though I've only played the multi-player mode, and didn't like it.

I don't really play a lot of RPGs or TBS games

prufock
2007-02-16, 07:18 AM
Oh, and I will second 2 suggestions other posters have made: Shadow of the Colossus and Bard's Tale. Bard's Tale is probably the best sleeper hit for the PS2. I mean, the bard is voiced by Cary Elwes. His commentary alone is worth the $20.

Logic
2007-02-16, 07:19 AM
My Recommendations:
Final Fantasy X, XII (I dislike almost the entire rest of the series)
Front Mission 4 (A turn based strategy RPG)
Ace Combat 4, 5, 0 (Combat Flight Sim)
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (Action RPG)
Devil May Cry 1, 3 (Action)
Armored Core: Nexus (Giant-Fighting-Robot Action)

DeathQuaker
2007-02-16, 07:52 AM
Get Suikoden 5. Awesome RPG, with tons and tons of characters. That goes for anyone else who doesn't have this either. Go get it.

First of all, Suikoden series overall: yes. Especially if you like strategy and RPGs--Suikoden combines them both. Good stories and characters; the object of all the games basically comes down to finding/protecting a powerful magical artifact and recruiting people to your "army" (you use them in both RPG style party combats and larger scale strategic battles).

Second: I would recommend getting the older Suikoden games first, if you can find them. Though you can play 5 on its own, you'll appreciate a number of the characters and themes more if you play the previous games--plus it's much easier to get used to the game play if you've played some of the older ones.

I and II are hard to find, but worth it if possible (I think there are versions for the PSP now though). If not, read a good summary of them--several characters from I and II are significant characters in V (V is a prequel to I and II, so you're seeing them before they appear in I and II).

Suikoden III definitely try to find. It's one of the best ones IMHO, and the fact that you have some choice over who your hero is is nice. And overall, the game contains some of the most interesting The party combat system is a little frustrating, but beyond that it's a solid game, and I enjoyed the strategic army combats in this one the best.

Suikoden IV gets lambasted by a lot of fans, but personally I enjoyed it for the most part. It's actually also a good game to play if you're new to Suikoden because some of the commands are simplified, and it's one of the easiest games to recruit people to your army. The biggest problems with the game are that travel is very sluggish, with a high random encounter rate (R2 button IS YOUR FRIEND--makes you and your boat go faster), and that it's a rather short game--some of the char devel comes up short but there's still a lot of interesting story to be found, IMO. Also, there are a number of brief but very interesting references to SIV in SV, so playing it first again broadens your experience of playing SV. And since it is a relatively short game (for an RPG... about 60 hours if you're thorough), you may as well play it through before you get the payoff of the longer and more detailed V.

Suikoden Tactics is kinda sucky. It's a tactical game, obviously, but combat moves sloooooooooow.... some interesting story elements (also which get mentioned in SV) but you can probably do without it unless you want to be completist. Tactics wraps up some loose plot elements from IV, so if you did play IV and liked it, you might be interested to play a little just to see how some things turn out. But you could also read a story summary and get that.

And then of course SV. Awesome game, awesome followup to the previous. If you do get it, absolutely get a recruitment guide though--it's the very worst game for trying to find your recruits, with many of the requirements for recruitment being very random, arbitrary, or just plain nonsensical.

So that's me, babbling about Suikoden. One thing I don't like about the series is that it relies on the old trope of "invisible random encounters" and the frequency rate is waaaaaay too high in many of the games, especially IV and V.

Other RPGs for PS2: Shadow Hearts . That series is AWESOME and underacclaimed. Very very good characters, very good balance of humor and drama. The combat system takes a little getting used to but I like it. Also, like many JRPGs, it has random encounters, but the rate of occurrence is far less frequent and therefore more reasonable and makes it much easier to enjoy the game overall.

Also, if you like D&D based stuff, the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series is fun... it's formatted to be a little more action based, but it has a lot of good fantasy and RP elements. Demon Stone isn't bad either, but it's definitely more of an action game and certain parts get tedious. It also has Drizz't in it, which can be a plus or minus depending on the player.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 09:01 AM
Off the top of my head...

Final Fantasy XII
God of War
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero II
Metal Gear Solid 2 (Substance, if you can find it)
Metal Gear Solid 3
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: Second Runner

A few golden gems which most people haven't mentioned:

The Jak & Daxter series, which is platforming at it's greatest. Just pick up Jak & Daxter, and I promise you won't be able to stop yourself from snagging the entire series.

Red Faction (though you've probably already played it on PC). Avoid RFII like the plague, though. It was absolutely terrible. Likewise Black is awesome.

You can't really go wrong with Shadow of the Colossus, though I'd recommend Ico, the previous game by the same team. Ico serves as a sort of an introduction to some of the plot points in Shadow of the Colossus (which started as a sequel), and it's a pretty fun game in it's own right.

If you can find it, Bujingai: The Forsaken City is a sleeper action game with a really kickass battle system. Likewise, Shinobi is awesome (though you'll want to give it's sequel Nightshade a miss).

On the RPG front, I'll second Suikoden. Shin Megumi Tensai and it's sequel are pretty cool, too.

I bolded them up there, but I can't recommend the Metal Gear Solid series enough. It's a lot of fun sneaking up behind guards, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance will give you hours of entertainment in it's abstract Missions Mode alone.