PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Suppress Spell [Metamagic] - Need help with spell level adjustment.

Tryxx
2014-05-10, 09:49 AM
Here's the feat:

Suppress Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
You can suppress a spell with a Dismissible (D) Duration, allowing you to effectively dismiss the spell and reactivate it anytime during the original duration of the spell. While a spell is suppressed the duration of the spell continues as normal. Suppressing and reactivating a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. A suppressed spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Spells whose duration's are not Dismissible or do not have a Duration of Concentration cannot be suppressed.

I was thinking it deserves at least a +2 adjustment - maybe even +3. It will infinitely increase the ability of many spells, and probably have a noticeable impact on spells per day. Plus, tricks like a suppressed Antimagic Field just sound scary.

Anyway, as the title states I'm looking for opinions on what the adjustment should be - thoughts?

Zaydos
2014-05-10, 10:51 AM
While suppressed the duration doesn't tick off I'm guessing? The requirement to reactivate it during the original duration makes it seem unlikely that it actually lasts longer than normal, but without that it's definitely not a +3 adjustment.

Let's look at some spells you can use it on.

Alarm: Useless if it still ticks down while suppressed, barely notable if it doesn't.
Alter Self: Barely useful if it still ticks down while suppressed, but still worse than Extend Spell. If it doesn't then well since you have to reactivate it in the original duration... still worse than Extend Spell.
Animal Shapes: If it still ticks down while suppressed a little useful, but not useful enough to bring it up more than 1 spell level. If it doesn't tick down while suppressed maybe +2, maybe +1 still.
Antilife Shell: If it ticks down while suppressed then suppressing it gains you little (you can push the barrier against a creature to get them in if you want to). If it doesn't maybe +1.
Antimagic Field: This is the gold spell for this feat. Even if it ticks down it's a noticeably better spell now, but still not something I'd want to use as a mage. Even so I'd say +1 metamagic.

Let's compare it to Extend Spell. Even if it doesn't tick down while off, you've got the need to reactivate it within the original duration meaning that if you cast Alarm at Lv 3 and suppress it after 3 rounds you still must reactivate it within 6 hours and then just have 5 hours and 597 rounds. Extend spell just gives you 12 hours.

This has certain tactical uses (Animal Shapes and Antimagic Field) that Extend Spell doesn't, but it is enough more limited I'd say you could get away with +1.

Now if you could cast a spell, suppress it, and leave it hanging for 4 days... that would just be broken as it allows you to turn theoretically limitless amounts of spells from downtime into spells for an adventure.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 11:15 AM
So if the spell ticks down while suppressed: +1 it is comparable to extend spell or silence in usefulness
If it does not tick down but can only be toggled during the time the spell would last if running normally: +2 might be hitting the right spot.
If the spell doesn't tick down and can be toggled while there is time remaining in the spell: +6 it is up there in utility with persistent spell

Tryxx
2014-05-10, 01:02 PM
My intent was for it to continue to tick down while suppressed (the original thought that spurned this feat was basically a wizard playing "peek-a-boo" with greater invisibility).

Looks like the consensus for that behavior is +1, so maybe I overestimated it's value a bit. I'll edit the wording for the feat to be less ambiguous.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 01:57 PM
So you wanted Kinda Slow Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm)