PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Augmented Subtype and Racial Feats

sakuuya
2014-05-10, 11:12 AM
If a template changes a creature's type, they gain the (augmented [type]) subtype in addition to whatever subtype(s) they previously had. How does that effect their ability to gain racial feats?

For instance, let's say I have a half-fey gnome bard. His type is "fey (augmented humanoid, gnome)," right? Could he still take Trivial Knowledge feat (from Races of Stone) which requires the gnome race?

Kazudo
2014-05-10, 11:20 AM
If a template changes a creature's type, they gain the (augmented [type]) subtype in addition to whatever subtype(s) they previously had. How does that effect their ability to gain racial feats?

For instance, let's say I have a half-fey gnome bard. His type is "fey (augmented humanoid, gnome)," right? Could he still take Trivial Knowledge feat (from Races of Stone) which requires the gnome race?

Typically, the template section will say whether the creature is still treated as the race for purposes of prerequisites, etc. Aside from that, I got nothin'. :smalleek:

Zweisteine
2014-05-10, 11:27 AM
Typically, the template section will say whether the creature is still treated as the race for purposes of prerequisites, etc. Aside from that, I got nothin'. :smalleek:
I am not aware of any templates that say that.

Common sense, though, seems applicable. A half-fey gnome would probably still be able to do anything a normal gnome could.

Kazudo
2014-05-10, 11:30 AM
Just for clarification's sake, this is where I saw it when I was passing through this thread:

For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon and a member of her original race.

I know that not all templates have a line like that included, but it's what makes me think that (barring total transformation) you still retain your racial prerequisites unless told otherwise.