PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magus->3.5

geekintheground
2014-05-10, 01:06 PM
im about to play a game using primarily 3.5 material, but my DM has OKd both magus and dervish dance from PF. i've seen it suggested that the spell list should be altered a bit, i was wondering what spells should be added/removed? also, would it be worth it to PrC into abjurant champion?

Snowbluff
2014-05-10, 02:00 PM
Abj Champ? Yeah, grab it.

The spell list should be fine. Just take out any PF ones if the DM doesn't allow them, ask for similiar spells in return. Maybe add the "Swift" spells, like Swift Haste.

T.G. Oskar
2014-05-10, 02:11 PM
im about to play a game using primarily 3.5 material, but my DM has OKd both magus and dervish dance from PF. i've seen it suggested that the spell list should be altered a bit, i was wondering what spells should be added/removed? also, would it be worth it to PrC into abjurant champion?

Revising the Magus' spell list will require some time. As a start, focus on those Magus' spells that also exist in 3.5, and pass them normally (no need to change them); keep the PF spells on a separate table. Note that some of the Magus' PF-specific spells are [polymorph] spells, so that means you'll have to add the Polymorph spell at some point. Then, raid the Spell Compendium and figure which Sorcerer/Wizard spells would fit the theme of a Magus. Finally, check the Player's Handbook II and raid the Duskblade's spell list for most of its spells, since Magi and Duskblades are two sides of the same coin (think Paladin and Inquisitor).

As for Abjurant Champion: the first few levels will probably be useful (you only get Shield to provide you with bonuses, though; note that you're a prepared spellcaster, so you *might* be able to cast Luminous Armor if you're good-aligned to increase your armor), the Extended and Swift Abjurations will work with Dispel Magic and whatever abjurations you add (which I reckon won't be a lot), but the "capstone" is lost on you (your CL will always be higher than your BAB) and the ability to turn spells into bonuses won't conflict, but neither will expand what your Arcana offers. At most, you'll take it for the extra BAB and reaching BAB +16 to become a better Gish, but at the cost of the last 5 Magus levels (which means one less bonus feat, one less Magus Arcana, the expanded spell list and the capstone).

geekintheground
2014-05-10, 03:06 PM
thanks guys! really useful

geekintheground
2014-05-10, 09:04 PM
wait, should i change the spells/day too? it seems really low compared to... everyone else.

Snowbluff
2014-05-10, 09:16 PM
No. You have spell recall. Suck it up.

geekintheground
2014-05-10, 09:32 PM
oh yeah! i actually completely forgot about that somehow :smallredface: :smalleek:

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-10, 11:25 PM
Magus gets Snowball, so adding all the orb and lesser orb spells seems reasonable.

Maybe add a bunch of the other touch spells. There's one on the duskblade list that short range teleports anyone you touch with it that could be cool...

Snowbluff
2014-05-11, 08:01 AM
The spell version of D Hop? :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2014-05-11, 08:35 AM
Yeah, looking at duskblade list in general is helpful for ideas.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Dervish Dance is the best option in a 3.5 environment where Spectral Dagger (weapon that's always a touch attack) exists given your damage is mostly from spells anyways.