PDA

View Full Version : Player Help templates with invisibility.

Oddman80
2014-05-10, 01:20 PM
Are there any +0 or +1 templates, besides primordial that offers invisibility as an EX ability?

I'd like to build a stealth archer, so the large size wouldn't be very helpful in this case.... Actually, it would be a hindrance.

Ansem
2014-05-10, 01:35 PM
I doubt you'll find it on any template lower than LA+4 (maybe LA+3), better is to get the Shadow Creature template (LA+1) and use Hide in plain sight (Ex)

Forrestfire
2014-05-10, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure something like that exists, so I thought I'd point out some other options, just in case.

A single level of Binder and the Improved Binding feat gets you Malphas and his invisibility ability once every 5 rounds, and two levels of Monk can get you Invisible Fist, an ACF that lets you turn invisible as an immediate action once every 3 rounds for a single round.

EDIT: The Dark Creature template is LA +1 and gives you Hide in Plain Sight. The Shadow Creature template is LA +2 and gives you Shadow Blend, granting total concealment in anything other than direct sunlight.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-10, 01:41 PM
Are there any +0 or +1 templates, besides primordial that offers invisibility as an EX ability?
Primordial doesn't offer Invisibility as an Extraordinary ability; that's Spell-like.

Afgncaap5
2014-05-10, 01:51 PM
You might be able to approximate something like that if someone played an invisible stalker (not a template, I know, but still.) The invisibility is listed as a Supernatural ability, but the fluff of it and the description of what it looks like when visible is vague enough that I'd say it's believably tricky to see even in places where magic wouldn't function. (Granted, it'd be nice if it had a Spot check DC like a Gelatinous Cube when it becomes visible, but... ah, well.)

I thought for a second that the Ninja class might work, but Ghost Step looks like it's Supernatural as well.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 01:53 PM
Invisibility as Extraordinary.
I don't think there is any way for that...
Maybe it could be got by having a druid/cleric with Invisible Spell metamagic reincarnate/resurrect you ... maaaybe

note also that a Primordial Giant's SLAs are keyed off of racial hitdice: 0 or 1 for most PCs

Oddman80
2014-05-10, 03:05 PM
Primordial doesn't offer Invisibility as an Extraordinary ability; that's Spell-like.

Sorry - newbie error. Invisibility as Su or Sp ability is fine just as well.

Urpriest
2014-05-10, 03:55 PM
Sorry - newbie error. Invisibility as Su or Sp ability is fine just as well.

If it just functions as Invisibility and not Greater, though, that's not really going to help you as an archer. You need multiple attacks to land to get your full complement of damage after all.

Hide in Plain Sight is much more useful for this sort of character, especially if you can obviate both the concealment and observation requirements.

Oddman80
2014-05-10, 05:00 PM
If it just functions as Invisibility and not Greater, though, that's not really going to help you as an archer. You need multiple attacks to land to get your full complement of damage after all.

Hide in Plain Sight is much more useful for this sort of character, especially if you can obviate both the concealment and observation requirements.

I thought the +20 to hide while moving and the +40 while staying still that comes from being invisible, would be invaluable.
Trying to hide after an attack gets a -20 mod to the vs. Spot DC, so if you stood in one place, shot an arrow, and continued to stay in one place, while invisible, wouldn't you still have a +20 to hide before even counting ranks and ability mods?

TuggyNE
2014-05-10, 07:38 PM
I thought the +20 to hide while moving and the +40 while staying still that comes from being invisible, would be invaluable.
Trying to hide after an attack gets a -20 mod to the vs. Spot DC, so if you stood in one place, shot an arrow, and continued to stay in one place, while invisible, wouldn't you still have a +20 to hide before even counting ranks and ability mods?

The point is that invisibility, the spell, ends automatically after any attack, period. So you would no longer be invisible at all.

Oddman80
2014-05-10, 08:53 PM
The point is that invisibility, the spell, ends automatically after any attack, period. So you would no longer be invisible at all.

But the template for primordial giant says that the invisibility sla could be used "at will". Doesn't that make it a free action that could be used after the ranged attack, but before the end of the round?

Jack_Simth
2014-05-10, 08:57 PM
But the template for primordial giant says that the invisibility sla could be used "at will". Doesn't that make it a free action that could be used after the ranged attack, but before the end of the round?

No. It maintains the original casting time (1 standard action). That just tells you how often it can be used.

Urpriest
2014-05-10, 09:25 PM
No. It maintains the original casting time (1 standard action). That just tells you how often it can be used.

Yeah, if "at-will" meant as a free action, think about how often monsters with at-will attack SLAs could use them!

Oddman80
2014-05-10, 10:11 PM
Yeah, if "at-will" meant as a free action, think about how often monsters with at-will attack SLAs could use them!

Ahhhhh.... Ok... Well then, per Urpriest's
Comments earlier, are there any templates that give you Hide In Plain Sight upfront? The earliest I see it coming in any standard class build is at 14th level scout.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 10:19 PM
Dark Creature from ToM
LA +1, hide in plain sight: as long as you're not in daylight or daylight

Curmudgeon
2014-05-10, 10:23 PM
Dark Creature from ToM
... and you still need cover/concealment to be allowed to Hide.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 10:29 PM
... and you still need cover/concealment to be allowed to Hide.

Or high bluff

Malroth
2014-05-10, 10:40 PM
its also possible to get hide in plain sight with a feat and a 1 Lv Warlock/Dragonfire adept Dip

Baroknik
2014-05-11, 03:07 AM
If you can find a way to turn into a willowisp you can turn invisible (as the spell) as an Ex ability. Not sure if that helps or not though...

Urpriest
2014-05-11, 07:45 AM
Ahhhhh.... Ok... Well then, per Urpriest's
Comments earlier, are there any templates that give you Hide In Plain Sight upfront? The earliest I see it coming in any standard class build is at 14th level scout.

Dark Creature from ToM

This is probably the easiest option. There's another version of the template from an FR adventure (Corymyr, the Tearing of the Weave IIRC) that gives you the same ability but with the added benefit that you no longer need concealment. Otherwise, you'd need some additional ability that gives you concealment, like a Smoking weapon.

If you can find a way to turn into a willowisp you can turn invisible (as the spell) as an Ex ability. Not sure if that helps or not though...

A good choice in general, but not a great one for an archer since willowisps lack arms.

Oddman80
2014-05-11, 08:32 AM
Winner winnner winner. Thanks Urpriest!