PDA

View Full Version : Augmentation Crystals

Legoman
2007-02-12, 04:22 PM
Now, I like the idea of the augmentation crystals, part of the upcoming magic item compendium, but I don't feel like dropping 30 bucks for another book to be hauled around, that is really just going to be used a couple of times for ideas.

So, time to go-go home-brew! I propose the following guidelines for augmentation crystals. The spoiler below is some scattered thoughts as I developed the guidelines ... don't really worry about em unless you want to.

First, All masterwork items have one socket. The Least property of a crystal is activated on masterwork items, the lesser with +1 items, and the greater with a +3 item. This only works with items that have a +3 enchantment bonus, not bonuses that come from special properties. +5 items can generally accept a second crystal.

Wizards says that adding or removing a crystal is a move-action that provokes, I'd change it to a full-round action.

{table]We're using the Truedeath Crystal as a reference, here, since it's the most clearly cut, it was also released here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a)
{table]Least: Emulates Disrupt Undead (0-level spell) | 1000
Lesser: Emulates +1 ability. | 5000
Greater: Emulates Feat, that could be taken at 5th-level (Razing Strike) | 10000[/table]

No surprise, the Continuous Disrupt Undead follows the magic weapon guidelines for item creation exactly: 2000 x Spell level x Caster level.

The Emulate Ability (Ghost Touch) is a bit hairier: It grants a +1 bonus to a weapon that is already +1. This is a difference between 8000 and 2000, which should normally cost 6000gp. However, because it requires a +1 weapon to work, we subtract from the cost the cost of the Least.

The 'Greater' ability is also a little out there: it emulates a feat that could be taken at 5th level - and costs 10000gp. If we follow the same pattern of subtracting the Lesser ability, it should cost 15000gp, and we reverse engineer the price of Emulating a feat to be 3000 x Entry Level of Feat.

Creation Guidelines:

{table]Level | Cost | q*
Least: | Up to 1000gp | Same as Cost
Lesser: | 5 x Least. | 6 x Least
Greater: | 10x Least. | 15 x Least [/table]

* Where q = the RAW cost of a magic item, as per DMG p285.

So, Some sample Crystals, loosely applying those guidelines:

{table] Name: | Effect | Cost
Fire Agate (Least) | Your weapon deals an extra 2 fire damage per hit | 1000gp
- (Lesser) | Your weapon deals an extra 1d6 fire damage, as per flaming weapon | 5000 gp
- (Greater) | Your weapon is effected by the Flaming Burst property. This replaces and superceeds the lesser ability. | 10000 gp
Acid Opal (Least) | Your weapon deals an extra 1 acid damage per hit | 500gp
- (Lesser) | 3/ day, you may speak a command word as a swift action, causing a burst of acid from the weapon, dealing an extra +3d6 damage. Use this ability only after a successful hit. | 2500 gp
- (Greater)| 1/ day, you may speak a command word as a swift action, forcing the victim of your most recent successful melee attack to make a DC 18 fortitude save. On failure, they are paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. | 5000gp
Bloodstone Ore (Least) | The attached weapon is gains a +2 bonus when confirming critical hits. | 1000gp
- (Lesser) | The attached weapon deals +1d6 damage against flanked or flat-footed foes, as the Rogue's Sneak Attack ability | 5000gp
- (Greater) | The attached weapon deals 1 point of Con damage on each successful hit, as the Wounding ability | 10000gp[/table]

Discuss, comment, and add your own.

Legoman
2007-02-12, 11:33 PM
Bump: I guess no-body cares about item customization.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-13, 09:37 PM
Feat that could be taken at fifth level? What feat that could be taken at fifth level? There's a fifth level feat that lets you sneak attack undead?

Legoman
2007-02-13, 10:03 PM
I think it's called Razing Strike - you need to be able to cast 3rd level divine spells.