PDA

View Full Version : Silly Encounter Idea: the Psionic Weapon

Lemur
2007-02-12, 04:24 PM
I've had this absurd idea in my head for a while about a potential encounter for a party to face. I have my doubts about its true effectiveness, but I think it would be a fun thing to throw at a party.

The concept is this: take a high level egoist, who can manifest Greater Metamorphasis. Have him transform himself into an adamantine weapon, and have a combat oriented NPC, like a fighter, use him. This would be a particularly fun thing to do to a party that isn't very familiar with psionics, as their first assumption would be that the weapon is some sort of special magic item. If you want make things more interesting, you can add other egoists to transform into other pieces of equipment, like shields, off-hand weapons, or armor.

The fighter's task is simple: attack normally.

The egoist helps support the fighter, by using powers like Empathic Transfer and Psionic Restoration (possibly even Psionic Revivify, if it was feasible to use it and heal the warrior before the PC's could react- a potential use of quicken power, perhaps). In addition, he'll store touch attacks, like Hostile Empathic Transfer to get back hitpoints after healing the fighter, or just generally use various powers in his repetoire to confound the party. Ditto for any other egoists the warrior NPC is wearing (although those transformed into non-weapon shapes wouldn't use touch attacks).

In return, the Egoist(s) are fairly well protected, having hardness 20, and being wielded by another person makes hitting them a bit more of a difficult prospect, as well as non-intuitive, since the party probably won't expect such a bizarre tactic. Also, if you use point buy to make NPCs, it would be easy to min/max, since the psion would only really need Int and Con, and maybe some Wis for will saves.

Obviously, this would have to be a high CR encounter, due to multiple high level combatants. The main fun with this encounter wouldn't necessarily presenting a real threat to the party (although it still might) but rather getting to watch their reaction as they tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

It also makes for a good recurring villain(s), who pops up in different weapon forms, used by different people. If they manage to kill the warrior without realizing his weapons are also people, they might be peeved to find the uber treasure they thought they were going to get suddenly teleport away.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out of my system. If you have any other silly encounters you've thought about, or actually faced or made a party face, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Replacement
2007-02-12, 04:28 PM
I just had a vision of Egotist/Voltron/Irongolems!

Ramza00
2007-02-12, 04:43 PM
First you don't need Greater Metamorphsis, Metamorphsis is enough.
Lets see, assuming an erudite so you can easily grab powers of different disciplines (or a psion with some expanded knowledge feats.)

First choosing a weapon that is used in battle directly probably won't be a smart idea. Those magical enchantments really help battle :smallwink: A pair of Adamantine Gauntlets will be a better idea. Your npc won't be using you directly yet you are still there. Anyway who targets the gauntlets.

Second read the description of this power
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm

You won't be needing a "npc" persay just a general person you have dominated and are now controling with "control body"

Now you will be psionically controlling this person, but the power duration is concentration. Since its concentration it makes a good choice for this power.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm

Now you can psionically concentrate (as a standard action with your second mind) while still having a full round action to use to cast other powers. From a pc perspective the single npc is also a psion and is raining destruction on them.

------------------------------------

Of course there is another way you can do all this that is far simpler and more efficent.

Metamorphsis into your best battle form. Cast control body on yourself. Cast solicit psicrystal, now your psicrystal will psionically control you while you now use your intelligence modifer to greatly enhance your combat stats BAB, Damage, AC

Lemur
2007-02-12, 06:04 PM
First you don't need Greater Metamorphsis, Metamorphsis is enough.
I originally thought this, but upon reading the power text more closely, I found that if you use metamorphosis to transform into an inanimate object, the power ends after the first power you successfully manifest in that form. Greater Metamorphosis, however, has no such restriction.

The idea behind turning into a weapon was so that the egoist could store a touch attack, that would go off once the wielder scored a hit. That might sound like a bit of a stretch, but it makes sense to me (besides, DMs have some freedom to do stuff like that). Although, you are right, that turning into armor, or a piece of armor, like gauntlets, would be much safer for the psion (I'm not sure it's even possible to directly attack armor someone is wearing, except possibly with certain targeted spells).

The idea of the psion using control body, or psionic dominate (gained through the Expanded Knowledge feat) hadn't occured to me, but using tactics like those could make the battle even more confusing, as well as provide material for several different kinds of fights you could set up, meaning he'd be pretty aggrivating as a recurring villain.

Quietus
2007-02-12, 06:23 PM
I personally love the idea... I'd have to think about it and make some alterations, but I may just adapt that idea at some point if I ever run another high-level campaign. Currently I have a few going, but they're all just starting out; One of them hit party level 2 last week!

I do think that that's an awesome idea for a recurring villain, though - and a VERY annoying fight for the players. It's made better by the fact that psionicists aren't limited by verbal/somatic components.

Jothki
2007-02-12, 06:29 PM
If you don't want to worry about keeping someone dominated, you could use a cohort instead.

Would it be possible to actually make a viable PC this way?

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-13, 10:39 AM
I love this idea. (swipes for himself) this is a great way to bring a psion villain into a campaign.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-13, 10:56 AM
This isn't that silly at all. This is awesome. Megatron used to do the same damned thing with Starscream, and that was never anything aside from a really cool effect.

This is SO stolen, too.

NullAshton
2007-02-13, 11:06 AM
An even better idea? When the party defeats the fighter, and the parties fighter picks up the weapon... death urge! The funny part is that it's the psion himself hitting the fighter, since the fighter us using the psion to try killing himself. :D

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-02-13, 02:39 PM
A very cool way to do a recurring villian, once again showing just how great psionics is! I prefer using the posession rules from Eberron myself, it's a bit less contrived and easy for new players to grasp.