PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

cucchulainnn
2007-02-12, 04:34 PM
What is a black guard? I used to play AD&D, is the black guard like an anti paladin or is it an anti paladin guild?

rabidzora
2007-02-12, 04:39 PM
Judging by what I've seen posted here, I think a blackguard is basically an evil paladin, maybe with slightly different feats. (For example, "Smite evil" and "Detect evil" would need changes...)

Kesnit
2007-02-12, 04:39 PM
Very similar to an Anti-Paladin. Blackguard is a presteige class. Requirements are:
- Any Evil
- Base Attack Bonus +6 (Equal to a THAC0 of 15)
- Hide 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks
- Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack
- Must make peaceful contact with an evil outsider

TheOtherMC
2007-02-12, 04:45 PM
Not only that but you can "trade in" paladin levels when you take the class to get even more godly benefits. That makes it pretty much ideal for fallen paladins.

rabidzora
2007-02-12, 04:46 PM
Curses. I remembered the outsider part about a minute after I posted, but you beat me to it.

Wait. Miko will probably get chucked in the AM cells just in case she's hiding anything- They won't want to take any chances. Sabine is there. It's not as if they're gonna be fighting in there... Uh oh.

Alysar
2007-02-12, 04:59 PM
Stats are listed in the DMG

Official description:

Blackguard: The blackguard epitomizes evil. He is nothing short of a mortal fiend. The quintessential black knight, this villain carries a reputation of the foulest sort that is very well deserved. Consorting with demons and devils and serving dark deities, the blackguard is hated and feared by all. Some people call these villains antipaladins due to their completely evil nature.

Pantler
2007-02-12, 05:09 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm

Alysar
2007-02-12, 05:12 PM
Thank you. That's the link I was looking for.

cucchulainnn
2007-02-12, 07:46 PM
thanks.
that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was a class or something like the thieves guild. i can't see miko joining a guild of bad guys but i can see her becoming extremely evil to fight anyone she believes is evil.

Alysar
2007-02-12, 08:09 PM
Check this out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny)

cucchulainnn
2007-02-12, 08:59 PM
Wow
They really filled out the classes since i played.

When I used to play I frequently played a paladin. At the time I was really into Arthurian mythology and played them as knights errant. I hate to say this but the most fun one I played as a religious fanatic that thought the gods would protect form all evil. He was the kind that would run into a room full of demons to slay relying on his god. We did use a lot of house rules. Our DM let me get away with a lot.