PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Field and Etherealness

Tryranus_Magus
2007-02-12, 04:56 PM
AMF is an abjuration spell, and therefore affects creatures on the Ethereal Plane per the description of the Ethereal Plane and rules governing it. So if someone was under the effects of a spell that has a duration allowing them to travel on the Ethereal Plane and are then emcomassed in an AMF from a source on the Material Plane, then the magic is suppressed and they are returned to the Material Plane. Of course, they would return to the Ethereal Plane if they where extricated from the AMF before the duration of the ethereal travel spell wore off.

Now for the tricky questions...

What if the creature travelled to the Ethereal Plane by means of a portal that does not have a duration time? They may feel the effects of the AMF from the Material Plane in terms of other magic ceasing to function, but would they be shunted back to the Material Plane?

The way I see it, spells that 'summon' or 'transmute' beings bring magical affects into existance that the AMF supresses. This is why summoned creatures or ethereal(ness or jaunt) are negated by the AMF.

However, 'called' or 'gated' beings are affects that are instaneous. The AMF can do nothing to effect this because the magic that was called has already taken its affect. Much like AMF can't undo damage done by a fireball.

Take a look at this and let me know if my logic is sound here.

Also if you could add any other sticky scenarios with AMF and Etherealness, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm running CotSQ and I want the finale to be both memorable and technically accurate.

Thanks,
Magus

http://boards1.wizards.com/images/misc/community/progress.gif

Jack Mann
2007-02-12, 05:09 PM
Bingo. If you're not being held in the ethereal plane by an ongoing effect, the anti-magic field will not send you back to the material plane. There's nothing for the field to suppress.

Arceliar
2007-02-12, 05:17 PM
If the duration on the spell or effect in question is measurable or permanent, I believe antimagic would suppress it. If the duration is Instantaneous (such as walking through a gate, some permanent natural or magic portal, and the like) then I believe an AMF on the material plane would not force the person back to the material, though it would still fully affect all magic items and spellcasting abilities.

At least, that's my interpretation of it. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong and site any source..this is the kind of thing that's going to bug me if we don't find a definitive answer.

oriong
2007-02-12, 05:22 PM
Nope, it's correct. There is nothing innately magical about the ethereal plane, therefore simply being on the ethereal is not a magical effect. The spell simply suppresses any magical effects that do keep you on the plane.

Thomas
2007-02-13, 12:59 AM
Yeah, so ethereal jaunt and etherealness would be suppressed, but if you used, say, a color pool, or plane shift, to get into the ethereal (or if you happen to be a ghost), AMF won't affect your etherealness. (Although it would prevent a ghost's manifestation ability, since it's supernatural.)

Antimagic field is an abjuration, so it does extend into the Ethereal Plane.

Tryranus_Magus
2007-02-13, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else that your logic is in line.

After the finale' of City of the Spider Queen on Saturday, I'll post the play by play of that epic battle. I've re-statted Irae T'sarran and worked up some great tactics that she's developed using her spell selection, the Ethereal Plane, and the Material Plane to shape the battle field to her advantage. Since my players read this board I have to stop there.

Thanks again,
Scout Sniper