PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions on Wand/scroll use

Grayson01
2014-05-10, 05:59 PM
Okay Question 1: Can a level 1 wizard cast a Wand of fire Ball (CL 5) Or a Scroll of the same without a UMD check?

Question 2: Dread Necromancer with an Imp Familier, can the Imp use a wand of Ray of enfeeblement even if the Dread has no ranks in UMD?

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 06:17 PM
1) No: as per the SRD

...and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.
2) No. The imp has no ranks in UMD. UMD is a trained only skill.

With a box
2014-05-10, 06:29 PM
well , The 1st level wizard can use wands

SRD Wands (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm):
Wands use the spell trigger activation method

Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell compleetion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activat it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

But he cannot use scolls

Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 06:36 PM
Mmmm missed the wand bit in the first question.
yeah wands are cool to be used

The Grue
2014-05-10, 06:38 PM
1) No: as per the SRD

Per the passage you quoted, the answer is actually Yes, the Wizard can activate it without a UMD check. It does, however, require a DC 6 Caster Level check instead.

2) No. The imp has no ranks in UMD. UMD is a trained only skill.

If the DN has ranks in UMD then the Imp, following the rules for Familiars, uses the master's ranks. But that doesn't work unless the master has at least one rank in UMD, thus,

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/technically_correct_futurama.gif

Captnq
2014-05-10, 06:49 PM
Of course you could pay to psychic reformation your imp to re-spend his skill points and give him UMD.

I suggest reading Familiarity, the section on familiar handbooks in the EVD. See my sig for details.

Whoops. Just noticed one of the mirror dropped my files. wait 10 minutes for me to re-upload.

Grayson01
2014-05-10, 08:13 PM
Is there a way to get UMD as a class skill with out multiclassing?

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 08:30 PM

The Apprentice feat springs to mind.

TuggyNE
2014-05-10, 08:33 PM

You don't actually need it as such, since (if all you care about is a single rank) it's only two skill points away. And that's probably cheaper in almost all cases than spending a feat.

Grayson01
2014-05-10, 08:55 PM
The Apprentice feat springs to mind.

That's not a bad Idea and from the wording if I take Spellcaster as my Mentor according to the Feat I know and extra Spell of first level, is that right?

Grayson01
2014-05-10, 09:27 PM
You don't actually need it as such, since (if all you care about is a single rank) it's only two skill points away. And that's probably cheaper in almost all cases than spending a feat.

Don't you still have to make the DC? Will one rank be enough?

Gildedragon
2014-05-10, 09:35 PM
That's not a bad Idea and from the wording if I take Spellcaster as my Mentor according to the Feat I know and extra Spell of first level, is that right?

Extra spell -known-

Grayson01
2014-05-10, 09:48 PM
Extra spell -known-

Yeah Yeah that's what I ment not and. So I could pick any Wizard or CLeric Necromacy Spell of first level then.

TuggyNE
2014-05-10, 10:56 PM
Don't you still have to make the DC? Will one rank be enough?

Yes, and maybe. There's no real penalty for failing the check except a wasted action, so the Imp's +3 modifier is sufficient to activate wands of up to third-level spells, albeit only with a 5% chance. Depending on whether you can get skill-boosting equipment, Cha boosts, and so forth it may be more or less useful to spend skill points at normal cost.

Basically, there's no set answer for that.

ericgrau
2014-05-11, 02:26 AM
While the wizard cannot use the scroll without a check, he can use the scroll with a rather easy check. DC 6 (scroll CL + 1) caster level check. If he fails he must make a DC 5 wisdom check or face a mishap. He must still have a 13 int (10 + spell level) no matter what he rolls.

Rule here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell