PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Heavy armor melee blasters [3.5]

Teapot Salty
2014-05-10, 10:30 PM
Hey guys. So, despite the over-the-top name of the thread, it's pretty accurate, I want to make a heavy armor melee blaster, and I was wondering if any classes support this. (I'm actually homebrewing something that might work but until then...) I'm looking for a full base attack bonus, and I'd rather not go cleric or druid. I'm going in blind, I have no idea what the other members of the party will be. (I always try to make my characters fit for a solo adventure anyway) Kind off specific I know, but thanks, and as always, go nuts.

Red Fel
2014-05-10, 11:12 PM
Hey guys. So, despite the over-the-top name of the thread, it's pretty accurate, I want to make a heavy armor melee blaster, and I was wondering if any classes support this. (I'm actually homebrewing something that might work but until then...) I'm looking for a full base attack bonus, and I'd rather not go cleric or druid. I'm going in blind, I have no idea what the other members of the party will be. (I always try to make my characters fit for a solo adventure anyway) Kind off specific I know, but thanks, and as always, go nuts.

I'm confused. You say "blaster," which usually suggests damage-oriented spellcaster, then you mention "heavy armor," "melee" and "full base attack bonus," which usually says pure melee. Gishes usually fall somewhere in between, but generally aren't blasters. For example, a Duskblade gets full BAB, and can use medium armor and heavy shields with no ASF chance, but he's not generally considered a "blaster."

In fact, "full BAB" and "blaster" generally don't go well together, because unless you're specifically using spells that require a ranged or touch attack, your BAB is generally not relevant to blasting. (Unless you're going with an Orb-based blaster, of course, but that falls under "ranged touch attack.")

So what is it, exactly, that you're asking for? Blasting? Casting? Gishing? Orbs? Cool armor on a dwarf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344798-Soul-and-Steel-A-Guide-to-the-Ironsoul-Forgemaster-%28WIP-PEACH%29)?

Teapot Salty
2014-05-10, 11:23 PM
I'm confused. You say "blaster," which usually suggests damage-oriented spellcaster, then you mention "heavy armor," "melee" and "full base attack bonus," which usually says pure melee. Gishes usually fall somewhere in between, but generally aren't blasters. For example, a Duskblade gets full BAB, and can use medium armor and heavy shields with no ASF chance, but he's not generally considered a "blaster."

In fact, "full BAB" and "blaster" generally don't go well together, because unless you're specifically using spells that require a ranged or touch attack, your BAB is generally not relevant to blasting. (Unless you're going with an Orb-based blaster, of course, but that falls under "ranged touch attack.")

So what is it, exactly, that you're asking for? Blasting? Casting? Gishing? Orbs? Cool armor on a dwarf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344798-Soul-and-Steel-A-Guide-to-the-Ironsoul-Forgemaster-%28WIP-PEACH%29)?

Ah sorry for the confusion, I guess I really didn't specify or anything did I. At the end of the day, what I want is a melee character who blows stuff up, plain and simple, I like heavy armor but meh. For example, I remember a class, but I can't remember the name, they where a melee class that gained the ability to do touch attacks with their sword and reduce their arcane spell failure chance. Something like that would be ideal.

Demidos
2014-05-10, 11:28 PM
Ah sorry for the confusion, I guess I really didn't specify or anything did I. At the end of the day, what I want is a melee character who blows stuff up, plain and simple, I like heavy armor but meh. For example, I remember a class, but I can't remember the name, they where a melee class that gained the ability to do touch attacks with their sword and reduce their arcane spell failure chance. Something like that would be ideal.

Here is the duskblade (http://dndtools.eu/classes/duskblade/) Red Fel mentioned. Sounds like just what you want.

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-10, 11:28 PM
Cleric with Persist DMM shenanigans?

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-11, 12:09 AM
I read "So I have no idea what a Duskblade is"

It's literally what you described.
Player Handbook II

It has;
Full BAB
Full Caster Level
Medium armor & heavy shield at the very least
A very high number of spells a day
The ability to combine a melee strike with any touch spell they know.. The one way, outside of ToB and DFI, that a whip can be good.
It's the Intellectual's Fighter.

Play a human, with this feat selection
1. Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
3. Obtain Familiar
6. Improved Familiar (you now have an awesome mount, that's capable in combat due to it's reliance on your abilities)
9. Combat Reflexes
12. Robilar's Gambit
15. Arcane Strike
18. Arcane Disciple (Magic)

Get a guisarme, a poky thing on your Gauntlet, a flying familiar big enough to be your mount, and you'll be set

Maybe some Prestiege Classes to, but I'll just leave that for now

Seerow
2014-05-11, 12:13 AM
I read "So I have no idea what a Duskblade is"

It's literally what you described.
Player Handbook II

It has;
Full BAB
Full Caster Level
Medium armor & heavy shield at the very least
A very high number of spells a day
The ability to combine a melee strike with any touch spell they know.. The one way, outside of ToB and DFI, that a whip can be good.
It's the Intellectual's Fighter.

Play a human, with this feat selection
1. Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
3. Obtain Familiar
6. Improved Familiar (you now have an awesome mount, that's capable in combat due to it's reliance on your abilities)
9. Combat Reflexes
12. Robilar's Gambit
15. Arcane Strike
18. Arcane Disciple (Magic)

Get a guisarme, a poky thing on your Gauntlet, a flying familiar big enough to be your mount, and you'll be set

Maybe some Prestiege Classes to, but I'll just leave that for now

Don't forget, since Heavy Armor is very important to him, the Battle Caster feat will bump that Medium Armor casting capability up to Heavy Armor casting capability (though you still need proficiency with it, which means either a dip into another class with proficiency or a feat).

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-11, 12:19 AM
A level of Crusader at appropriate levels nets him Thicket of Blades, and the necessary Heavy armor proficiency without costing hardly a thing to his CL.

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-11, 12:25 AM
Alternatively, play a dwarf wizard (although I prefer Warmage with Prepared Caster feat), take a heavy armor proficiant class, such as crusader, fighter or paladin, and take the Runesmith from Races of Stone, which lets you prepare spells as nifty runes on your Mechanus Gear armor.

After that (if you've taken abjuration spells with Eclectic Learning) take levels of Abjurant Champion, then Spell-Sword.

ColdFire2112
2014-05-12, 03:31 PM
Don't forget, since Heavy Armor is very important to him, the Battle Caster feat will bump that Medium Armor casting capability up to Heavy Armor casting capability (though you still need proficiency with it, which means either a dip into another class with proficiency or a feat).

Duskblades are already proficient with all armors, but only ignore arcane spell failure in light and medium by default, so no dip or feat is required for the proficiency. That said, the Battle Caster feat will allow you to cast in heavy armor and ignore arcane spell failure. You can also get Mithral heavy armor, which is treated like medium armor if you want to save the feat.