PDA

View Full Version : E6 Looking to populate a list of Legendary Creatures

Seerow
2014-05-11, 12:21 AM
So some context. Using a random generator, came up with a tapestry depicting a number of legendary creatures. It was intended as a throwaway descriptive device, but the players took a liking to it as they are wont to do and looted it.

Not sure yet if it will actually play any sort of role going forward, but when players bite on a hook like that it's worth at least considering. So for now I want to actually get a list of "Legendary" monsters for an E6 world. I randomly determined there are 14 monsters being depicted on this tapestry, and want to populate it semi-randomly.

Rather than finding a big list of monsters and rolling dice, I figure the more fun option is to come to the forums and ask for favorite monsters in the CR9-13 range, ideally ones that are visually distinctive. Any source, environment, etc is acceptable, as long as it is something that could be readily identified from a picture on a tapestry.

ngilop
2014-05-11, 12:45 AM
Well as I am a sucker for greek/egyptian mythos i HAVE to suggest a few from there

SPhinx

Gegenees

Pheonix

Apep

Uraeus

Cerebus

Colossus

Gorgon/Medusa

Hydra

Cyclopes

Efreet

Djinn

Lammasu

thats off the top of my head.. sorry if the list is short :(

ben-zayb
2014-05-11, 12:52 AM
My favorite staple of fantasy settings are good old Golems (Iron or Stone) and Dragons (Juvenile to Adult I think, for CR9-13).

Hydras and Dread Wraiths are visually distinctive too.

Baroknik
2014-05-11, 01:09 AM
The list of iconics I think would fit best:
(1) Basilisk (use the Abyssal Greater) CR 12
(2) Chimera CR 7
(3) Some Dragon (if you don't want true Dragons to exist in your e6 world use a Dragonne CR 7)
(4) Gorgon CR 8
(5) (9-headed) (pyro-) hydra CR 10
(6) Kraken CR 12
(7) Razor Boar CR 10 (but call it The Gaming Beast)
(8) Roc CR 10
(9) (Andro-) Sphinx CR 9
(10) Wyvern CR 6
(11) Medusa CR 7

Note the last three I view as iconic enough you could use with advanced HD

(12) Cockatrice CR 3
(13) Griffon CR 4
(14) Manticore CR 5

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-11, 01:12 AM
Mountain Troll (CR 10, MM3) - an old-fashioned northern European opponent.

Rage Drake (CR 9, MM3) - the embodiment of brute strength and anger.

Razor Boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) (CR 10) - king of an island or valley populated by boars and dire boars.

Legendary Tiger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/legendaryAnimal.htm) (CR 10) - a hunter, known for catching any who seek it by surprise.

Advanced Underdark Landwyrm (15 HD, elite array, Improved Rapidstrike: Claws, CR 10) - a cunning creature that demands tribute from the subterranean races.

Twelve-Headed Hydra (CR 11, MM) - an old-fashioned Greek opponent.

Kraken (CR 12, MM) - of course.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-11, 01:27 AM
A retriever demon would be pretty distinctive-looking.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG47.jpg

The tapestry might make it look like a giant ant, but in reality its an ant-shaped laser-shooting robot from the abyss. Maybe a forge-god made it out of anger, and set it loose upon a hated underground civilization.

deuxhero
2014-05-11, 01:49 AM
Carp
Elephant
Cat

Slipperychicken
2014-05-11, 02:05 AM
Zombie Carp
Zombie Elephant
Zombie Cat

Fixed that bit for 'ya.

TiaC
2014-05-11, 02:40 AM
How about putting the Lord in Lords of Madness?

Ulitharid
Beholder
Shadowcloak Elder Cloaker
(Advanced) Aboleth

In core there are Naga and Rakshasas. You could go planar with Formian myrmarchs, Salamander nobles or genies. Or to undeath with an Atropal Scion.

For more bestial options, I like the elementals or the two worms from MM1.

Socksy
2014-05-11, 03:27 AM
E6? ADVANCED RUST MONSTER!
I can't find my Monster Manual with a few minutes of hunting so some of these may be off.

Erinyes

Sphinx

Dragon Turtle

Awakened something-large-and-carnivorous, if there used to be powerful magic in the past

Beholder

That's all that comes to mind.