PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some help with the newest version of Firefox?

Starwulf
2014-05-11, 12:39 AM
So, apparently Firefox decided it was going to download the newest version of Firefox, and then installed it when I just reset my computer a few minutes ago. Now all the tabs are like...greyed out in such a way that it's hard to read them, especially since they now all seem to blend together in one gigantic tab(they are separate, but visually it looks like one giant tab). Also, my refresh button is now attached to the url bar and is tiny, which I hate, and my "stop" button is entirely gone. I HATE refiguring this crap out every freaking time, so I figured I'd come and post here and hopefully get some help getting this stuff figured out a lot faster.

edit: HOly crap, where in the freaking bleep bleep bleep bleep, BLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP(sorry, I'm cursing an awful lot at the moment) is the "File" tab?!?!? it's GONE. How in the hell are you supposed to access all the options FOR the browser? Grr, now I"m just really ticked off ><

factotum
2014-05-11, 01:29 AM
The menu with all the options in it is the three bars on the right-hand side of the URL bar. If you still want the old-style menus you can access them temporarily by pressing ALT, or turn them on permanently by right-clicking an empty part of the tab bar and checking "Menu bar". The refresh button being in the URL bar has been there for months, so not sure how you haven't run into it before, and the refresh button becomes a Stop button while the page is loading and then changes back to Refresh once it's fully loaded.

Starwulf
2014-05-11, 01:41 AM
The menu with all the options in it is the three bars on the right-hand side of the URL bar. If you still want the old-style menus you can access them temporarily by pressing ALT, or turn them on permanently by right-clicking an empty part of the tab bar and checking "Menu bar". The refresh button being in the URL bar has been there for months, so not sure how you haven't run into it before, and the refresh button becomes a Stop button while the page is loading and then changes back to Refresh once it's fully loaded.

is there no way to make the refresh and stop button separate? I'm pretty sure the last time Firefox updated itself it did the same thing, but I eventually figured out how to separate it from the url bar and make it BIG, same with the stop button, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it this time. I don't like it small, it ticks me off ><

Anyway to stop the tabs from being all greyed out like they are? They did have plenty of definition, you could tell each one was it's own separate tab, but as I said, now they are all one blurry/conglomerated looking mess ><

Max™
2014-05-11, 03:30 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

You're welcome.

Thiel
2014-05-12, 05:32 AM
is there no way to make the refresh and stop button separate? I'm pretty sure the last time Firefox updated itself it did the same thing, but I eventually figured out how to separate it from the url bar and make it BIG, same with the stop button, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it this time. I don't like it small, it ticks me off ><

Anyway to stop the tabs from being all greyed out like they are? They did have plenty of definition, you could tell each one was it's own separate tab, but as I said, now they are all one blurry/conglomerated looking mess ><

Pressing escape stops the page from loading if that helps.

Rockphed
2014-05-15, 05:08 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

You're welcome.

That helped, but the title bar is still wonky. Also, it now has both the annoying menu and the non-annoying menu. I want it to look like firefox 3.6. Okay, what I actually want is for some other modern browser to look like firefox 3.6, but I will settle for firefox looking like firefox 3.6.

EDIT: Also, while I can move the stop and reload buttons away from the address bar, I cannot seem to move the back button.

Edit 2: Okay, under customize, I selected small icons and title bar, which got things 90%. Now I just need tabs to nolonger be on top.

Toastkart
2014-05-15, 05:44 AM
speaking of things screwed up by the update, I've been having a problem with links not opening the way they used to. In the previous version I had things set up so clicking links opened them in a new window. That doesn't work anymore, everything opens in the same window. Right clicking and selecting open link in new window does open the link in a new window, but it's not maximized and no amount of fiddling on my part so far has been able to get it to open maximized.

I don't use tabs, so please don't suggest I just switch to that.

Grinner
2014-05-15, 06:54 AM
Have you tried right-clicking on the tab area and selecting "Menu Bar"?

FLHerne
2014-05-15, 10:26 AM
Edit 2: Okay, under customize, I selected small icons and title bar, which got things 90%. Now I just need tabs to nolonger be on top.
In the 'Classic Theme Restorer' preferences, 'Main' tab, the second combobox under 'Tabs' has that setting. :smallsmile:

Nope, I have no idea why the about:config setting is now ignored. :smallannoyed:

Max™
2014-05-16, 02:39 AM
To rearrange the bars a bit more, I use this along with classic theme restorer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/

Let's me put all of my stuff in one row:
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o396/maxarutaru/singlerowfirefox_zps01ce43ca.png
I use the hamburger button for new tab/addons/open file/find/history since I couldn't get the new tab button to sit between the home button and tabs like it used to.