PDA

View Full Version : Monk Martial Art

RingofThorns
2014-05-11, 05:21 AM
I know this is a second thread asking for help on something that I have started, but a friend of mine was wanting to run a short campaign based around something like old kung fu and wire fu movies, to that end I was wanting to make a monk. However I noticed that there are particular weapon styles a person can take as a feat and I wondered if there might be unarmed weapon styles a monk could learn and if so in what book(s) could I find them in? Thank you all for your help.

Yanisa
2014-05-11, 05:28 AM
Unearthed Arcana has Monk Variant: Fighting Styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les). (Which is on the SRD, for free.) I don't have any experience with it and it doesn't seem to get talked about often. Basically they are just the normal feats, but slotted together to fit a theme. You also get a minor skill bonus at level 1 and a bonus at level 6 in the theme's style.

There is also a Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats), which does get a lot of talk, but that Pathfinder (Ultimate Combat to be precise). Unlike the UA one, this one does add new abilities, tricks and things, but they are still feats.

Alex12
2014-05-11, 06:28 AM
There's also unarmed swordsage, which is basically taking the swordsage, removing armor proficiencies, and giving them the monk's unarmed strike.

Yanisa
2014-05-11, 06:52 AM
There's also unarmed swordsage, which is basically taking the swordsage, removing armor proficiencies, and giving them the monk's unarmed strike.

While I normally dislike this kind of advice you make a good set up for an idea. The various disciplines are fighting styles and with minor name changing you can make them sound very Kong-Fu like. Some of them are already like that (Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, Shadow Hand, Setting sun... should I just list all of them?). If you like to go the more homebrewish it can be a cool idea.

Sith_Happens
2014-05-11, 08:07 AM
While I normally dislike this kind of advice you make a good set up for an idea. The various disciplines are fighting styles and with minor name changing you can make them sound very Kong-Fu like. Some of them are already like that (Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, Shadow Hand, Setting sun... should I just list all of them?). If you like to go the more homebrewish it can be a cool idea.

Was coming in to say this. Even setting aside power concerns, this is for a campaign based on martial arts movies and Tome of Battle is basically D&D martial arts.

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-11, 08:37 AM

Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervating Strike.

Do we really need them to be more Kung-Fu?

geekintheground
2014-05-11, 01:43 PM
Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervating Strike.

Do we really need them to be more Kung-Fu?

even hak foo from jackie chan adventures things these moves have weird names!