PDA

View Full Version : Psionic focus and attacks of opportunity

Crake
2014-05-11, 07:53 AM
So I read alot about people playing characters with psionic meditation and feats like deep impact or greater psionic weapon, but I just wonder, how do they get around the whole issue of psionically focusing yourself provoking an attack of opportunity?

I'm DMing a game right now, where one of the players is doing just this, and neither of us actually realised until just recently that it even provokes, based in the cavellier attitude of others on this topic. Even instant clarity (he's a warblade) doesn't say it removes the fact that it provokes.

Vedhin
2014-05-11, 07:58 AM
So I read alot about people playing characters with psionic meditation and feats like deep impact or greater psionic weapon, but I just wonder, how do they get around the whole issue of psionically focusing yourself provoking an attack of opportunity?

I'm DMing a game right now, where one of the players is doing just this, and neither of us actually realised until just recently that it even provokes, based in the cavellier attitude of others on this topic. Even instant clarity (he's a warblade) doesn't say it removes the fact that it provokes.

Instant Clarity is a swift action, which never provokes.

As far as I can tell, most people just miss it or fail to mention it. Or they figure you can afford to take a few hits if you're in range to begin with.

Crake
2014-05-11, 08:15 AM
Instant Clarity is a swift action, which never provokes.

As far as I can tell, most people just miss it or fail to mention it. Or they figure you can afford to take a few hits if you're in range to begin with.

Can you quote where it says that swift actions never provoke? The best I can find is that swift action spells never provoke, not that swift actions themselves never provoke.

TuggyNE
2014-05-11, 11:14 PM

Hmm. This seems like defensive concentration (DC 15) would work, although I'd make the DC scale somehow.