PDA

View Full Version : What are the Linear Guild's surnames?

CaDzilla
2014-05-11, 09:22 AM
The only one we knew was firehelm.
EDIT:Should also note that Elan's and Nale's last names are different due to their sperated parents

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-11, 09:26 AM
Nale's and Elan's last name has not been shown yet. So far, we haven't seen any elves with last names, so Zz'dtri's name is just that. Probably the same for the others.

Vinsfeld
2014-05-11, 09:49 AM
Nale the Bard :smallamused:

Gift Jeraff
2014-05-11, 10:00 AM
Thog Greenskin

Emperordaniel
2014-05-11, 10:19 AM
Sabine Starshine not. :P
She isn't Haley's secret half-sister, thus explaining why she isn't exactly human. :smalltongue:

Vinyadan
2014-05-11, 10:24 AM
Well, surnames may mean many things. I'm not sure every culture has an official family name.

So, I like to think that orcisch surnames actually contain important information about the individual. Thor Don'trunoutoffudgerippleforgod'ssake.

Nale probably self-inflicted something like Naledbynale, with a plan to retroactively extend it to his relatives (Tarquin, Elan and the wives of all three).

Zz'idri may be the surname. He is actually called Joe.

As for the Kobolds, I think the whole race has Disposable as surname.

137beth
2014-05-11, 10:57 AM
Well, we know Windstaff is Leaky's last name. I think that's the only other one we know.

Except, as Durkon says, Elan and Nale's last name are not "tha Bard".

Kurald Galain
2014-05-11, 11:01 AM
Well, Elan's last name is Tarquinsson, so that means Nale's last name is Nossniuqrat.

Cizak
2014-05-11, 12:05 PM
Well, Elan's last name is Tarquinsson, so that means Nale's last name is Nossniuqrat.

McTarquinson, actually.

137beth
2014-05-11, 12:37 PM

Wouldn't that mean that Nale was Nale's last name, and his first name is NossniuqratCm?

Keltest
2014-05-11, 01:21 PM
McTarquinson, actually.

Unless Tarquin was Tarquin jr, it would just be McTarquin.

ORione
2014-05-11, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't that mean that Nale was Nale's last name, and his first name is NossniuqratCm?

No wonder he goes by his surname.

Veya
2014-05-11, 03:50 PM
What about "Sabine Morningstar" for Sabine? sounds kinda-of Haley's(both have "star" in them), and is fairly indicative of her true nature.

Vinyadan
2014-05-11, 04:44 PM
What about "Sabine Morningstar" for Sabine? sounds kinda-of Haley's(both have "star" in them), and is fairly indicative of her true nature.

Sabine Deathstar?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-11, 04:46 PM
Sabine Gloomgloom.

Angelalex242
2014-05-11, 05:51 PM
Sabine Naughtystar.

(Cause no respectable succubus should have a last name that doesn't involve sex in some way.)

Agnostik
2014-05-11, 06:17 PM
On the behalf of Kobold Preservation Society, I would like to express concern regarding the complete lack of discussion regarding Y*ky*k surnames.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-11, 06:37 PM
On the behalf of Kobold Preservation Society, I would like to express concern regarding the complete lack of discussion regarding Y*ky*k surnames.

How about Montoya?

Veya
2014-05-11, 07:14 PM
(Cause no respectable succubus should have a last name that doesn't involve sex in some way.)
Are you implying morningstars aren't sex-related? :smallamused:

http://i.imgur.com/wJjnvOP.jpg

I am hoping this doesn't break any rules...

Everyl
2014-05-11, 07:25 PM
Zzt'dri Urden'do. What else could it be?

Nale Elansbrother, brother of Elan Nalesbrother. They really should have seen the long-lost-twin thing coming.

Thog Puppysnuggler.

Sabine doesn't have a surname so much as a collection of unspeakably-foul hidden names that grows and shrinks relative to her personal power and influence in the Lower Planes. There's not much point in her sharing any of them, since she's probably been slowly losing them thanks to her long sojourn in the Prime Material Plane, but she's banking on winning big in the long term when the IFCC's plans come to fruition.

Kobolds surnames are actually a subtle, but complex, tonal element that spans both of the repeating syllables of their given names. Those who are not familiar with the kobold dialect of Draconic generally don't even notice that these surnames exist, and there's no good way to write it in English lettering.

Gift Jeraff
2014-05-11, 08:05 PM
Since he was sorta the LG's cleric, I'll include him in this discussion and say Malack's last name was Deathrobe. Fits the Thundershield/Firehelm/Windstaff naming scheme and sounds like "death row." That is all.

137beth
2014-05-14, 12:13 PM
Would if everyone in the linear guild secretly had the same last name: NotTheVectorLegion
?
Well, except for the time when Vector Legion members temporarily joined the linear guild.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at Jacinda's surname?

riaierb
2014-05-14, 08:35 PM

Dullstar

Opposite of Haley's

CletusMusashi
2014-05-14, 08:39 PM
Thog's last name is Smash.
He's got kind of a Denny Crane schtick happening.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-14, 09:35 PM
Dullstar

Opposite of Haley's

It could be "Blackhole" since that's about as far away from a shining star as possible.

Vinyadan
2014-05-15, 08:22 AM
It could be "Blackhole" since that's about as far away from a shining star as possible.

Portablehole?

Mith
2014-05-15, 01:28 PM

I think we have a winner!

Aedilred
2014-05-15, 03:06 PM
Unless Tarquin was Tarquin jr, it would just be McTarquin.
McTarquinson isn't a fan nickname; it's from Haleo and Julelan. Although that's obviously non-canonical for the main narrative. Also, iirc (can't be bothered to go looking for the file right now) (Jul)Elan offered "McTarquinson" as a speculative surname, as if he was trying to work out what his surname was, rather than as if referencing a known fact.

Also, while Mc/Mac- and -son are both patronymics, as surnames they could - and are - carried generation after generation. If you meet a modern person called MacDonald, it doesn't necessarily follow their father is called Donald. We know that the Greenhilt name has lasted at least three generations. Tarquin could be the latest in a long line of McTarquinsons, and indeed, given his snobbery towards the Starshines, he seems to consider himself at least minor aristocracy of some description (although whether he actually is, who knows - although the name "Tarquin" itself is suggestive at least of lofty attitudes).

Presumably Zz'dtri's surname is Urden'Do, as mentioned above.

EDIT:Should also note that Elan's and Nale's last names are different due to their sperated parents
Not necessarily. They were married when Elan was born, and he may have kept the surname even if his mother dropped it from her name (which we also don't know for sure that she did).

Vinyadan
2014-05-15, 03:18 PM
Not necessarily. They were married when Elan was born, and he may have kept the surname even if his mother dropped it from her name (which we also don't know for sure that she did).

Especially because she was called "Elan's Mother" in the marriage scene. Which was useful and synthetic for us readers, but also was quite comical. It probably was because the rest of the Order didn't know Elan's mother's name, but Elan didn't notice anything strange about it.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-15, 03:21 PM
I think we have a winner!

I was wondering when someone would think of that. :smalltongue:

martianmister
2014-06-15, 05:38 AM
Nale Heberden the Younger
Sabine Maher
Snell Thog
Zz'dtri Henrie Lee-Steere
Yokyok Cheong
Yikyik Cheong
Yukyuk Ramras
Pompey K. Wells

Emperordaniel
2014-06-15, 09:40 AM
Nale Heberden the Younger

Does that make Elan "Elan Nedrebeh the Elder"?

Kish
2014-06-15, 09:49 AM
No, it makes him Regnouy eht Nedrebeh Elan.

Keltest
2014-06-15, 10:13 AM

That sounds alarmingly like a real name with ye olde title.

Lexible
2014-06-15, 01:04 PM
Well, surnames may mean many things. I'm not sure every culture has an official family name.

Here on Earth your suspicions are more than correct (http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/).

137beth
2014-06-15, 01:20 PM

What does that make Tarquin?

Kish
2014-06-15, 06:57 PM
What does that make Tarquin?
It would clearly be unfair to the demon roaches to reply, "A loathsome humanoid cockroach."

Reddish Mage
2014-06-16, 01:58 PM
Especially because she was called "Elan's Mother" in the marriage scene. Which was useful and synthetic for us readers, but also was quite comical. It probably was because the rest of the Order didn't know Elan's mother's name, but Elan didn't notice anything strange about it.

Could it be that Elan only knows his mother as "mom?"

Darth Paul
2014-06-16, 11:51 PM
Could it be that Elan only knows his mother as "mom?"

And it was his dream, therefore... The Mage Has Answered Correctly

Leviting
2014-06-17, 12:00 AM
I'm still believing that the Tarquin family is composed of
Elan The Bard Tarquin
Nale Tarquin
Lena "Elan's Mom" Tarquin and
Alen Tarquin.

Gift Jeraff
2014-06-17, 12:08 AM
I doubt Elan's Mother kept Tarquin's name so it should be

Elan Lane
Lena Lane

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-17, 05:25 AM
I honestly never noticed until just now that Malack calls her that. Perhaps it was just that Roy and Haley couldn't think of her name?

Kish
2014-06-17, 08:23 AM
Elan was there, and the whole wedding scene part of the vision came from Elan, so why would it matter if Roy or Haley knew her name?

Learuis
2014-06-17, 10:35 AM
Thog last name is Thog. First name also Thog. Only have one name.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-17, 01:48 PM
Elan was there, and the whole wedding scene part of the vision came from Elan, so why would it matter if Roy or Haley knew her name?
They may have been influencing how that scene turned out, and since in their minds she was called "Elan's mother" that was what the illusion used. On the other hand, I suppose that whatever name Elan would use would be dominant over what they would use, so I guess that is how he thinks of her.