PDA

View Full Version : Need Battle-Map Advice

jafred
2014-05-11, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for tips from other folks who have had success with some form of battle maps for PbP gaming on the forums. This is currently my only real struggle with the subject. Suggestions on what method/media to use and why would be appreciated, as would links if needed. Thanks in advance and for reading.

Airk
2014-05-12, 10:56 AM
I consider battlemaps to be fundamentally incompatible with Play-By-Post, and would recommend using a game that doesn't require them.

jafred
2014-05-12, 06:40 PM
Honestly I was probably a little unclear in the original post, I meant ANY method of displaying combat situations in a post with a visual aid of any sort.

Airk
2014-05-12, 10:59 PM
Honestly I was probably a little unclear in the original post, I meant ANY method of displaying combat situations in a post with a visual aid of any sort.

You could make mockups in MSPaint pretty fast, but that's not really the point; If you're trying to do "Okay, it's my turn, so I move 3 squares up and 3 squares left so I'm flanking the orc..." it's just not gonna work in play by post, IMHO. If you're just looking to display some rough "Okay, here's where you are and here's where the badguys are." stuff, you probably don't REALLY need visuals.

jafred
2014-05-12, 11:44 PM
Mm. I think I've got something I can work with, at least. We'll see how it goes.

Kol Korran
2014-05-14, 05:57 AM
I've played a few pbp games which used either ditzie or roll20. Both are very simple to use. I have only experienced them from the player poverty though... good results with both.

Demidos
2014-05-14, 08:43 PM
Roll20 all the way.

jafred
2014-05-16, 06:27 PM
Roll20 and the pogs from my other option may prove to be all I need. Thanks for the suggestion.