PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Enemy HP

Calen
2014-05-11, 02:59 PM
Hi, I am setting up an encounter that needs 5 roughly balanced NPC's. I was planning to use Elites with their health values reduced by 30%. But I have started to wonder if that is the right amount, should it be more or less? The encounter is for 5 PC's at level 5. Thanks for the help!

NecroRebel
2014-05-11, 03:48 PM
You're probably better off just tweaking the enemies' levels a bit rather than reducing their HP like that. 5 level 5 elites is a hard but doable fight for 5 level 5 PCs (a level+4 encounter), but if you want it to be a bit easier or a bit harder you could increase or decrease the level of one or more of the enemies. You could even increase the level of one enemy to 6 and decrease the level of two others to 4 and it'll probably seem more varied. Encounters like this can drag on a bit due to how much health each enemy has, but if the enemies are designed well it should be interesting regardless.

MrUberGr
2014-05-11, 04:58 PM
You're saying 5pcs vs 5 npcs. If the npcs are normal players you could just create 5 lvl 5 chars and pit them against each other.

P.S. I'd be glad to help!

NecroRebel
2014-05-11, 06:35 PM
You're saying 5pcs vs 5 npcs. If the npcs are normal players you could just create 5 lvl 5 chars and pit them against each other.

P.S. I'd be glad to help!

I have to recommend against this approach. 4e player characters are something of glass cannons - whichever side wins initiative will probably be able to nova down at least one of their opponents before they can act, which means that victory goes to whoever wins initiative.

Calen
2014-05-12, 01:22 AM
You're probably better off just tweaking the enemies' levels a bit rather than reducing their HP like that. 5 level 5 elites is a hard but doable fight for 5 level 5 PCs (a level+4 encounter), but if you want it to be a bit easier or a bit harder you could increase or decrease the level of one or more of the enemies. You could even increase the level of one enemy to 6 and decrease the level of two others to 4 and it'll probably seem more varied. Encounters like this can drag on a bit due to how much health each enemy has, but if the enemies are designed well it should be interesting regardless.

Thanks Ill probably do it this way.