PDA

View Full Version : 4Th Level Advancved Learning Dread Necromancer Spell

Grayson01
2014-05-11, 03:32 PM
Okay Making a DN planning out my 4th level AL I have narrowed it down to these spells which one should I take? What is the tactical Advantage of taking it over the others?
This is the order of prefrence I have so far, Lesser ST is at the bottom cause I plan on taking ST for my 8th level AL so it seams more like a waste if I take both of them, and the 3d6 Dex damage is just to good to pass over for just.

Ray of Sickness
(Spell Compendium, p. 167)

Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Ray of Weakness
(Spell Compendium, p. 168)

Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2,
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 minute/level

A dark ray flies forth from your hand. The air fills with the smell of blood.

You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. The target of this ray feels weaker and takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls. Its speed is reduced by 10 feet.

Shivering Touch, Lesser
(Frostburn)

Necromancy [Cold]
Level: Cleric 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, Disciple of Thrym 1,
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched

Your successful melee touch attack delivers a bitter chill to the target, causing it to shiver uncontrollably for the duration of the spell.
Shivering characters take 1d6 points of Dexterity damage.
Creatures with the cold subtype are immune to the effects of lesser shivering touch.

Holding your outstretched hand palm down, you fire a sickly green ray. Your hand feels cold and clammy for a few seconds after the ray flies forth.

You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. If your ranged touch attack hits, the subject becomes sickened.

Kazudo
2014-05-11, 03:42 PM
Lesser Shivering Touch would be the best of the three. A lot of your standard adventuring fair have low DEX scores and taking that away from them would be amazing.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-11, 03:55 PM
Shivering Touch, not the lesser version. Hire an NPC Psion for a Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) to get Heighten Spell and Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon. This makes it so you can spend two 2nd level spell slots to cast a 3rd level spell, which gives you knowledge of all the 3rd level spells on the DN list, and you can pick a 3rd level spell for Advanced Learning. You can get a second Psychic Reformation to get rid of those feats if you want, but Versatile Spellcaster is one of the best ones you can get on a DN. By some interpretations you don't even need Heighten Spell to get early access to the next level of your spell list.

Ansem
2014-05-11, 05:09 PM
Rigor Mortis, a magnificent spell.

Grayson01
2014-05-11, 06:05 PM
Lesser Shivering Touch would be the best of the three. A lot of your standard adventuring fair have low DEX scores and taking that away from them would be amazing.

You still think it's worth it even if I plan on taking the Greater Version when I get my 8th AL?

@Ansem I looked at Rigor Mortis when narrowing it down I wanted something with no Save throw, as most of my other spells have a Save or Nill component.

Alex12
2014-05-11, 07:26 PM
Kelgore's Grave Mist (PHB2)
Conjuration/Necromancy [cold]
Components: V, S, M,
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft. radius spread, 20 ft. high
Spell Resistance: See text

With a gesture, you create a cloud of clammy, thin mist.
The light in the area seems to dim as the mist appears, and a slight wind washes over the area, sending a chill down your spine.
This spell creates a thin mist within the spell's area.
The mist is too thin to have any effect on vision, but the necromantic energy infused within it hampers the living.
All living creatures within the mist become fatigued and take 1d6 points of cold damage per round.
If the spell fails to overcome a creature's spell resistance, the subject takes the cold damage but ignores the fatigue.
Material Component: A handful of dirt taken from a graveyard or tomb.

Great for Arcane Thesis and slapping a half-dozen low-cost metamagic feats on. And if you're undead (which is obviously something Dread Necromancers aspire to) it won't affect you at all.

Grayson01
2014-05-11, 07:53 PM
Kelgore's Grave Mist (PHB2)
Conjuration/Necromancy [cold]

Oh I forgot about Kelgore's I only looked throught the Spell Comp. that's a good one.

BlackDog918
2014-05-12, 01:55 AM
Another note on KGM, you can stick Fell Drain on it and get automatic negative level output. No save, no SR.

Grayson01
2014-05-12, 03:32 PM
Another note on KGM, you can stick Fell Drain on it and get automatic negative level output. No save, no SR.

Good point I was also thinking of using it for fell Animate for Multi Downed Enemies since I don't wanna burn a ton of feats to make Death Knell deal damage.

Alex12
2014-05-12, 05:43 PM
Good point I was also thinking of using it for fell Animate for Multi Downed Enemies since I don't wanna burn a ton of feats to make Death Knell deal damage.

Fell Drain might be better for that, since anything that dies to negative levels rises as a wight (and may be eligible for Corpsecrafter feats. Possibly). And you have Rebuking. Go hire a Chicken-Infested Commoner and enjoy your unlimited free wights.

Grayson01
2014-05-12, 06:07 PM
Fell Drain might be better for that, since anything that dies to negative levels rises as a wight (and may be eligible for Corpsecrafter feats. Possibly). And you have Rebuking. Go hire a Chicken-Infested Commoner and enjoy your unlimited free wights.

OH where does it say that, is it some where else in the book?

This is what I have for the feat discription.
Fell Drain
( Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead, p. 27)

[Metamagic]

Living foes damaged by your spell also gain a negative level.

Prerequisite

Benefit
You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, it dies. Assuming the subject survives, the negative level disappears (without requiring a Fortitude save) after a number of hours equal to your caster level (maximum 15). A fell draining spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Alex12
2014-05-12, 06:17 PM
OH where does it say that, is it some where else in the book?

This is what I have for the feat discription.
Fell Drain
( Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead, p. 27)

[Metamagic]

Living foes damaged by your spell also gain a negative level.

Prerequisite

Benefit
You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, it dies. Assuming the subject survives, the negative level disappears (without requiring a Fortitude save) after a number of hours equal to your caster level (maximum 15). A fell draining spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

True. Now go look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) .

"A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight."

Granted, you won't automatically have control of them, but that's what rebuking is for.

Grayson01
2014-05-12, 08:17 PM
True. Now go look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) .

"A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight."

Granted, you won't automatically have control of them, but that's what rebuking is for.

Awesome Thanks