PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new edition to learn

shamgar001
2014-05-11, 04:50 PM
I've been DM'ing (and less often, playing) D&D 4e for a few years now. I'm happy with the system, but I'm thinking I might want to one day run a game in a more modern/scifi setting, perhaps loosely based on Bioshock. What would be a good system to look into?

Rhynn
2014-05-11, 05:39 PM
Some sci-fi RPGs:

GURPS Transhuman Space (as a bonus, if you like GURPS, it can run anything from D&D-style fantasy to realistic modern/cyberpunk/scifi to superheroes, etc.).

Blue Planet, scifi in an aquatic setting.

Traveller, either the classic or Mongoose's reprints; the classic scifi space opera RPG.

Eclipse Phase, transhuman scifi.

Stars Without Number, an old-school-D&D -based scifi RPG with easy & simple rules and a ton of tools for running a sandbox campaign.

There's tons more, but most of the others I know are hard to come by.

mgrinshpon
2014-05-11, 06:48 PM
There's also Shadowrun if you want something between D&D and Sci-Fi, although Shadowrun is more of a dystopian sci-fi.

shamgar001
2014-05-12, 02:09 AM
There's also Shadowrun if you want something between D&D and Sci-Fi, although Shadowrun is more of a dystopian sci-fi.

Looking that over, it seems good. What is a good edition to start with? What books should I get ahold of?

Rhynn
2014-05-12, 02:25 AM
Looking that over, it seems good. What is a good edition to start with? What books should I get ahold of?

4E. 5E is a mess and is missing decent rules for riggers, etc. 3E if you want to go retro, but I don't see any reason to recommend that for a new player.

Get the core book at first, see if you actually get into it. Then get:

Arsenal for weapons & armor & vehicles & gear.
Augmentation for cyberware, bioware, nanoware, etc.
Runner's Companion for more options in PC creation (just ignore all the silly stuff about variant metahumans and the dragon-people etc.).
Street Magic for more magic.
Unwired for netrunner stuff.

Pick the ones that you feel will add the most to your game. IMO Street Magic and Unwired are the most "necessary," although none of them are really necessary.

mgrinshpon
2014-05-13, 03:36 AM
4E. 5E is a mess and is missing decent rules for riggers, etc. 3E if you want to go retro, but I don't see any reason to recommend that for a new player.

Get the core book at first, see if you actually get into it. Then get:
[LIST]
Arsenal for weapons & armor & vehicles & gear.
Augmentation for cyberware, bioware, nanoware, etc.
Runner's Companion for more options in PC creation (just ignore all the silly stuff about variant metahumans and the dragon-people etc.).
Street Magic for more magic.
Unwired for netrunner stuff.
[LIST]

Pick the ones that you feel will add the most to your game. IMO Street Magic and Unwired are the most "necessary," although none of them are really necessary.

Before even trying the books, you may want to give the computer game a shot. Shadowrun Returns runs on all sorts of computers, is cheaper than the book by a fair margin, and will give you an idea of the feel of Shadowrun. I personally think that the game itself is also pretty good barring some minor foibles but lets' leave that whole can of worms to the review sites. I got it on Steam but there are probably other stores that it's available on, as well.

Rhynn
2014-05-13, 04:41 AM
Before even trying the books, you may want to give the computer game a shot. Shadowrun Returns runs on all sorts of computers, is cheaper than the book by a fair margin, and will give you an idea of the feel of Shadowrun.

I actually really agree. The writing is very specific and matches up with the old editions; the style of the newer editions is a bit more generic and bland, but it's not tied to mechanics. Getting an idea about the setting (and a rough impression of the systems) from the game can be a great idea.

Also Shadowrun Returns is amazing and everyone should play it.

Just remember, the mechanics resemble various editions of Shadowrun, but they are not identical to any one by far.

Red Fel
2014-05-13, 08:27 AM
If you do decide to go with Shadowrun, be advised that Deckers (the guys who hack into systems) suffer from a unique problem, which is tantamount to splitting the party - basically, while they're all "I'm in your computers, messing with your stuff," the rest of the party is napping. (I'm told this was somewhat alleviated in 5e, but I haven't played the latest.)

If you or your players are new to SR, you might consider leaving Deckers as an NPC class, rather than letting PCs do it.

Rhynn
2014-05-13, 08:36 AM
If you do decide to go with Shadowrun, be advised that Deckers (the guys who hack into systems) suffer from a unique problem, which is tantamount to splitting the party - basically, while they're all "I'm in your computers, messing with your stuff," the rest of the party is napping. (I'm told this was somewhat alleviated in 5e, but I haven't played the latest.)

I don't know about 5E, but in 4E, much of netrunning is really easy to do on the fly, and in fact is so sensible that almost any character is going to do some Matrix stuff, which just makes sense to me in a cyberpunk world.

But this is a general problem of all cyberpunk games: the Net is sort of essential to the style of the game, but it's a pain to play when only part of the group is going to go in.

neonchameleon
2014-05-13, 11:14 AM
I've been DM'ing (and less often, playing) D&D 4e for a few years now. I'm happy with the system, but I'm thinking I might want to one day run a game in a more modern/scifi setting, perhaps loosely based on Bioshock. What would be a good system to look into?

The best generic system around right now is Fate Core (http://fate-srd.com/). It's simple (the rules will fit on one side) and very powerful and flexible.

My recommendation for something as modern/near future dystopian as Bioshock in specific would be Apocalypse World (http://apocalypse-world.com/) - it's dark and Vincent Baker doesn't hold back (even where he possibly should). It's also simple to learn, fast playing, and very very evocative.

shamgar001
2014-05-13, 03:21 PM
The best generic system around right now is Fate Core (http://fate-srd.com/). It's simple (the rules will fit on one side) and very powerful and flexible.

My recommendation for something as modern/near future dystopian as Bioshock in specific would be Apocalypse World (http://apocalypse-world.com/) - it's dark and Vincent Baker doesn't hold back (even where he possibly should). It's also simple to learn, fast playing, and very very evocative.

I'll check those out. Thanks.