PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I bookmarked all the playtest PDFs for ease of access

Fralex
2014-05-11, 05:25 PM
To make everyone's life easier, I took the liberty of adding bookmarks to the playtest PDFs. D&D is the sort of game that really benefits from a way to quickly look up any rule, and I'm surprised these documents weren't bookmarked to begin with. Hope you all find these useful.

To prevent these from falling into the hands of non-playtesters, the files are password-protected. The password to all the files is the underlined heading that appears on page 5 of the "How to Play" doc( v. 091913). Remember to use proper capitalization!

This file includes:

01) How to Play
02) Character Creation
03) Races
04) Classes
05) Backgrounds and Skills
06) Equipment
07) Feats
08) Spells
08.5) Spell Cards
09) Multiclassing
10) DM Guidlines
11) Bestiary
12) Magic Items

UPDATES:

All files have bookmarks!
The Equipment PDF has links in the actual equipment list, so you can read the prices on the master table and just click on a piece of gear's name for details.
The Races PDF has footnotes containing example names for some of the newly-added races that didn't have much info.
The Spells PDF enables the reader to look up spells by class and level, and each spell has next to it a list of all classes that can cast it. I also color-coded the different schools of magic.
There is a Spell Cards PDF! A WotC forum member created these nifty little spell description handout cards. I modified them slightly so the "flip me over" arrow was less obtrusive and eliminated a couple superfluous cards that were mistakenly listed twice.
The Bestiary PDF has a crapton of bookmarks organizing the monsters in all kinds of ways: You can sort them by name, creature type, and level. Also, anyone who backed the Order of the Stick Reprint Drive will find that I've underlined the monsters for which you can find paper OotS miniatures for. This was more something I did for myself before I decided to share these with others, but if it helps you out, yay.

Tell me what you think! Here you go: [TA-DAA] (http://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4vUH1V0oOAgRlRFZkszS2pLTXM&usp=sharing)

Enjoy!

Drazik
2014-05-16, 05:39 PM
This is fantastic, thanks a lot for doing this!:smallbiggrin:

unwise
2014-05-26, 01:33 AM
I registered just to say thanks for that. It is really handy and has made using the playtest packets a lot less effort.

I wonder how many people saw the title and thought it was a homebrew thing. I almost skipped clicking on it myself. I hope more people see this fine work.

Fralex
2014-05-26, 06:38 PM
I'm glad you appreciate what I did! :redface: It was a lot of work! I edited the thread title to be more descriptive, hopefully others won't make the same assumptions now.

Lokiare
2014-05-26, 09:42 PM
I'm glad you appreciate what I did! :redface: It was a lot of work! I edited the thread title to be more descriptive, hopefully others won't make the same assumptions now.

I think the problem is no one can admit to using this because of the contract we signed to get into the play test which prohibits alteration or redistribution.

Fralex
2014-05-28, 04:52 PM
If it makes it any better, this same link has been up on the WotC forums for over two months, and nobody there asked me to take it down or anything( which I would do in a heartbeat at the first indication that it is not wanted). I have interpreted the Wizard Moderators' silence as a tentative "this is okay" stance for now. I took great pains to make sure the only people who could view these documents were people who already owned the unmarked versions, and made no alterations to the actual content; just some improvements to locating the content. If anyone is still uncomfortable with using my marked-up PDFs but would really like their own copies to have bookmarks, I recommend this free PDF-editing software (http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer). It's what I used to add the bookmarks and links 'n' stuff. It's pretty great.

da_chicken
2014-05-28, 06:28 PM
Well, I think there's also the issue that if anybody really wants the playtest documents, they're out there somewhere. I can't imagine they're at all difficult to find.

ninjecks
2014-06-15, 10:19 AM
To prevent these from falling into the hands of non-playtesters, the files are password-protected. The password to all the files is the underlined heading that appears on page 5 of the "How to Play" doc( v. 091913). Remember to use proper capitalization!

I may just be ignorant or missing something blaring lol, but the "How to Play" doc is ALSO password protected... Any tips or maybe a password through PM would be amazing? Registered just for this myself lol

ninjecks
2014-06-15, 11:06 AM
^ Scratch that. My web-fu led me to the answer through indirect means. Good thing I had the stamina to push through the research :p