PDA

View Full Version : Question to DMs about Familirs

Grayson01
2014-05-11, 05:56 PM
SO the question is when your players start off at level 1 or ingeneral so you (if they are a Wz/Sor) start off with their familier or make them pay the 100Gps before they can obtain one?

Coidzor
2014-05-11, 06:02 PM
SO the question is when your players start off at level 1 or ingeneral so you (if they are a Wz/Sor) start off with their familier or make them pay the 100Gps before they can obtain one?

In my groups we've always just given the familiar for free.

holywhippet
2014-05-11, 06:21 PM
By RAW if they want to start with their familiar they will need to pay the 100 gold out of their starting funds. If you want to waive that fee for a starting character you can, but keep in mind you are effectively giving something worth 100 gold to the wiz/sor so you might want to give another 100 gold to the other characters.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-11, 06:57 PM
I typically start my groups at level three, so I enforce the summoning costs even on a new game.
If I went crazy and started a game at level one, I'd probably let the first one be free to sorcerer. They don't get THAT many nice things.

Grollub
2014-05-11, 09:36 PM
it would be free... anyone who makes people pay for it, or not give it to them free, is a d*ck

ryu
2014-05-11, 10:21 PM
Well the way I see it we have two choices. Either let it slide and keep the spirit of WBL or allow all RAW things the wizard can do for wealth at level one and make them pay the cost. Namely any wizard that has to deal with this can simply sell their spellbook, buy a new blank one, Fill it with only the useful level 0 spells, plus any above level 0. The amount of gold left over by selling all the useless cantrips more than covers it.