PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Fix (Low Power Campaign)

Kree West
2014-05-11, 06:35 PM
This is a fighter fix meant for a low powered campaign. I works by replacing some of the Fighter's bonus feats with other abilities to make the fighter more versatile and hopefully more fun. The wording is not the best so please tell me how I could make it better. Feedback is encouraged.

Sneak Attack: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in Sneak Attack
Rage: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in Rage per day, but the rage does not get the newly improved Constitution modifier added to the length of the rage.
Turning: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for a Turning attempt.
Smite: You may replace a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th, or 20th level for progression in Smites per day.
Favored Enemy: You may replace a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th, or 20th level for a Favored Enemy.
Hexblade’s Curse: You may replace a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, or 18th level for a progression in Hexblade’s Curse per day.
Dodge Bonus: You may replace a bonus feat at 6th, 10th, 16th or 20th level for progression in the swashbuckler’s Dodge Bonus.
Healing: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in times per day you can heal yourself 1d10 hitpoints.
Damaging: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in times per day you can damage an adjacent enemy for 1d10 damage upon a successful hit with an attack.
Skills: You may replace a bonus feat to make any skill a class skill and put 4 ranks in it.
Recklessness: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in the amount of AC you can transfer into a bonus to attack rolls as a free action. The effect of this ends upon your next turn. (First time you can transfer 1 AC for a +1 bonus to attack rolls for a round, second time 2 AC for +2, etc.)
Cautiousness: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in the amount of attack bonus you can transfer into AC as a free action. The effect of this ends upon your next turn. (Recklessness in reverse)
Defender: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in bonus 1d6 damage to attacks made by you as a ready action.
Attacker: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in bonus 1d4 damage to charge attacks.
Extended Charge: You may replace a bonus feat for an extra 10ft. you may move in a charge.
Blade Dancing: You may replace a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th, or 20th level for an extra five foot step per round.
Adaption: You may replace a bonus feat at an even level for progression in the number of times per day you can switch one of your class features for another that would be accessible at that level for one round as a free action.
Feat Focus: You may replace a bonus feat to multiply the effect give by another feat if it does not stack by 1.5 rounding down. (DM's ruling on the effect of this on a feats like proficiency feats)

Drako_Beoulve
2014-05-11, 09:34 PM
For a retooling without trying to fix the Fighter's existence problems, it seem's ok. Why not instead of replacing Bonus feats you give the Fighter a new class feature, something like "Battle Versatility" at 1st level and every odd level thereafter, 3rd, 5th, etc. Also, you can add more class features, like Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, DR, Unarmed strike, Martial Maneuvers and stances, etc...

In that way, the Fighter will be the apprentice of all, master of nothing of the D&D besides Factotum.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-12, 10:28 AM
For a retooling without trying to fix the Fighter's existence problems, it seem's ok. Why not instead of replacing Bonus feats you give the Fighter a new class feature, something like "Battle Versatility" at 1st level and every odd level thereafter, 3rd, 5th, etc. Also, you can add more class features, like Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, DR, Unarmed strike, Martial Maneuvers and stances, etc...

In that way, the Fighter will be the apprentice of all, master of nothing of the D&D besides Factotum.
I second this. Alternating between bonus feats and bonus abilities is a lot more interesting than having a dead level on every odd-numbered level.

As for the abilities themselves... My main concern is that some of them scale with level (sneak attack, Hexblade's curse, etc), while others don't (skills, extended charge, etc). I'd recommend either making everything scale by itself, or everything scale by "each time you choose this ability, increase the damage/DC/number of uses per day/whatever."