PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Elemental Names

Jjeinn-tae
2014-05-11, 10:58 PM
Hello everyone, I've been setting building for an upcoming RPG and one of the things I've decided is to utilize Planescape's elemental planes. All 24 of them. The Elemental Princes of these planes will serve as the main deities that the party would be able to dedicate themselves to, in a pantheon of 40 "deities" total. Four of the deities are named from Greek Mythology (being slight corruptions of various names, we have Gaia, Typhos, Mnemes and Aodes), and the other 12 are are more "forces on nature" and amount to the Ba Gua Trigrams, in both name and "function." I feel the Elemental Princes similarly should have a linking theme that is separate, but so far I've yet to come up with a good one, especially with some of the more oddball elements, like "Ooze" and "Pumice." Currently my best thought involves using Latin, but I thought I'd turn to the Playground, as there is no shortage of great ideas here.

So, anyone up for some group brainstorming? They don't have to have any deep meaning, if you think of something that just screams "This is what the spirit of Pumice would be named" to you, throw it at me. :smalltongue:

Basically, there are the four primary elements, Water, Earth, Fire, Air; these can mix to form a quasielement, and then each element and quasielement has both a positive and a negative paraelement. I'll arrange them in a table here.

Positive
Element
Negative

Steam
Water
Salt

Crystal
Ice (Water/Air)
Frost

Lightning
Air
Vacuum

Spark
Smoke (Air/Fire)
Fumes

Radiance
Fire
Ash

Obsidian
Magma (Fire/Earth)
Pumice

Mineral
Earth
Dust

Clay
Ooze (Earth/Water)
Silt

BWR
2014-05-12, 01:15 AM
You realize you've added a nuimber of planes that weren't in Planescape?

If you need names, here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities), conveniently divided by general type and culture of oriigin. Trawl it and find something you like.

Jjeinn-tae
2014-05-12, 01:23 AM
No, I hadn't noticed. I thought all the quasi and paraelementals had quasi and paraelemental planes (maybe just sections of the main four though?) It works for my cosmology to have them be separate planes here, as much as 24 infinite spaces being adjacent to each other in a finite space makes "sense."

Thanks for the link though! That looks like a great resource. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2014-05-12, 01:51 AM
The Quasi- and Paraelemental planes are canon, but the Quasiparaelementals (or whatever you call them) are pure fan creation. That is to say, Ice is canon, but Crystal and Frost aren't. Not saying that you can't include them, of course.

I could probably come up with a series of Greek names, but you wan't a separate one. My Roman mythology isn't too good, sadly, and it seem a lot of the names of things like Titans were absorbed from Greek anyway. Germanic mythology only has a very small handful of elemental forces, mostly fire and ice, so that doesn't work out either. Can't think of anything Celtic, either...

Jjeinn-tae
2014-05-12, 02:56 AM
The Quasi- and Paraelemental planes are canon, but the Quasiparaelementals (or whatever you call them) are pure fan creation. That is to say, Ice is canon, but Crystal and Frost aren't. Not saying that you can't include them, of course.

I could probably come up with a series of Greek names, but you wan't a separate one. My Roman mythology isn't too good, sadly, and it seem a lot of the names of things like Titans were absorbed from Greek anyway. Germanic mythology only has a very small handful of elemental forces, mostly fire and ice, so that doesn't work out either. Can't think of anything Celtic, either...

Oh, well I guess that makes sense. I thought it was strange to have frost and ice. And whatever spark really is. :smalltongue: I'll still use them, yeah, but that's good to know.

Māori is looking promising to me at the moment, from that list BWR linked. It'll definitely take adaptation, but I think they might work.