PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Deep Halfling Mount - Subterranean Campaign

MrBananaBeak
2014-05-12, 02:49 AM
I'm looking to take a new spin on the halfling outrider. We're starting a subterranean campaign at fifth level and I'm trying to think of what I should use as a mount. I'd like to be able to walk on walls or some other such subterranean fun. I looked into spiders, but the 30ft movespeed was kinda meh. Why take a mount that can't move as fast as the barbarian?

Any ideas?

MrBananaBeak
2014-05-12, 06:39 AM
Sad tromboooooooooone.

Urpriest
2014-05-12, 09:28 AM
Well, you need a legal choice of Paladin Mount. That's actually a pretty short list.

Ashworms can burrow in earth or sand, and can climb slowly. A level in Ashworm Dragoon will give you one. They're not Medium, so you lose that advantage, but they're otherwise quite portable.

I can't find a more general list. I feel like if you start looking through FR books you'll find something suitable. Other than that, the list in the DMG has Spiders, which you've already rejected, and Dire Bats, which fly but should be fine in the Underdark considering that they stereotypically live in caves.

Darrin
2014-05-12, 11:24 AM
Dungeonbred can drop the size to medium. A Dungeonbred Riding Lizard (A&EG version) has a 40' speed, can spiderclimb at will (20' climb speed), and stats-wise is in the same neighborhood as a heavy warhorse.

Otherwise, try a Dungeonbred Warbeast Footpad Lizard (Drow of the Underdark). 6 HD, 40' speed, 40' climb, and Improved Grab.

Urpriest
2014-05-12, 03:15 PM
Dungeonbred can drop the size to medium. A Dungeonbred Riding Lizard (A&EG version) has a 40' speed, can spiderclimb at will (20' climb speed), and stats-wise is in the same neighborhood as a heavy warhorse.

Otherwise, try a Dungeonbred Warbeast Footpad Lizard (Drow of the Underdark). 6 HD, 40' speed, 40' climb, and Improved Grab.

You should have Warbeast as the last template, so that the ensemble has a well-defined price. And regardless, it won't be a valid choice of Paladin mount.

MrBananaBeak
2014-06-06, 05:37 AM
I was actually planning on going Ranger or Fighter for the class levels prior to the PrC. Probably should have specified that.

Coidzor
2014-06-06, 05:54 AM
How willing to play ball is the DM for houseruling/OKing a nonstandard Paladin Mount/animal companion?

As, the only things that really come to mind other than the ashworm are the various forms of subterranean lizards from the various sources that touch upon the underdark. Or some kind of hybridization of Riding Dogs and Climbdogs(Arms and Equipment Guide).