PDA

View Full Version : V-Day Movies...

Indurain
2007-02-13, 12:29 AM
Alright, so my girlfriend and I have decided to keep our first V-day together relatively simple. We're going to cook some dinner together, and then curl up and watch a movie. She's in charge of dinner selection, I'm in charge of movie selection.

HEEEELLLPPPP!!!

I'm normally really good with movies, but I'm suddenly stumped. She's not a fan of chick flicks (thank you deity), but she's also not really a fan of movies in general...at least not in the way I am. She half-watches movies (a fact that bothers me to no end), and she even fell asleep during the Neverending Story (I KNOW!!).

So...I need recommendations here. Something romantic without being...too much.

My only thought thus far is Down With Love. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Amotis
2007-02-13, 12:33 AM
The Science of Sleep. (If it's out yet) Or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Jazzvader
2007-02-13, 12:33 AM
Soz but here's some advice if you're renting one out ask the person behind the counter what he'd recommend

EDIT- Wooo a 13 year old gave you pretty useful advice

Amotis
2007-02-13, 12:35 AM
Oooh ooh. Woody Allen's Annie Hall

AmoDman
2007-02-13, 12:44 AM
I love 50 First Dates because it's Foo-ny. I also reccomend Finding Neverland, but then again I always reccomend Finding Neverland...and it is, admittedly, a rather slow, boring movie for the drama-loving impaired.

If you like musicals, Moulin Rouge! has a classic modern day score. But hey, if that's not your thing, that's not your thing. I also love Phantom of the Opera, but that's a movie for true musical lovers.

The Princess Bride is also quality comedy entertainment. A lot heavier of the campy quality and light on the anything romantic than 50, however.

If you wanna say, "'Eff relationships, let's just get something to laugh at together," Wedding Crashers and Mr. And Mrs. Smith are both hilariously awesome in their own ways...and do involve a love theme in one way or another.

Good luck!

Indurain
2007-02-13, 12:45 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Love that movie. But we've both seen it. Otherwise that would be a perfect choice. You're hired Amotis.

Annie Hall might be a bit much for her I think. Woody Allen is great, but can be really dry for someone not ready for him. (Hell Match Point still puts me to sleep)

Jazzvader
2007-02-13, 12:49 AM
If that doesn't work out check out a video shop and rent something out Indurain

Portent
2007-02-13, 01:12 AM
For no particular reason, I recommend What Dreams May Come. Something to do with the eternal loyalty thing, I guess.

Wippit Guud
2007-02-13, 02:54 AM
Moulin Rouge!

Trust me. Great love sotry for her. Entertaining for you.
Seriously, trust me.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-02-13, 05:33 AM
She's the Man! Funniest chick flick in recent history.

But Down with Love is also really good (funny in an interesting way that doesn't involve gags and slapstick like Mr. and Mrs. Smith).

Amotis
2007-02-13, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I get what you mean about Woody. It's a pretty aquired taste.

Hmm...then Garden State? It's a pretty feel good movie.

Or when in doubt I always resort to one of my most favorite movies, A Beautiful Mind. Course this depends on how manly you are and if you're okay with crying in front of her ;)
(Seriously, that last speech of Nash's for the Nobel Prize...jeez)

I also like the suggestion of the nerd romance of Princess Bride. But you two have already seen it like 20 times. Probably will be quoteing it anyway. I know I would.

Indurain
2007-02-13, 11:37 AM
Hmm...then Garden State? It's a pretty feel good movie.

I also like the suggestion of the nerd romance of Princess Bride. But you two have already seen it like 20 times. Probably will be quoteing it anyway. I know I would.

Garden State is a definate possibility. We just watched The Last Kiss and she really liked it.

Princess Bride? You're right on with that one. Both seen it, many many times. But it is a classic.

Sadly, I think the Transformers movie is out of the question.

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-13, 12:36 PM
Hannibal.

...least, s'my idea of a romantic movie. :\ But my guy won't watch it with me.

How about Shaun of the Dead?!

Telonius
2007-02-13, 12:45 PM
Hmmm. Not sappy, but romantic-ish, and interesting to you ... Would "Willow" do?

Amotis
2007-02-13, 02:00 PM
I really do like Garden State but some people don't so I'm not sure. Up to you as you know her better, but it's a good movie I think. Cool people like it. :D

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-02-15, 02:16 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

That is a good one, not sappy and lame like most romance movies but with the same kind of message.