PDA

View Full Version : Cover songs

Wippit Guud
2007-02-13, 03:00 AM
So, what songs do you people like that are as good, or better than the original?

Two bigs one for me:

1. I found "Another Brick in the Wall" covered by Korn, and the harder music/singing really suits the lyrics. Makes it sound angry.

2. One from a couple of year ago, but this time it's a Korn song being covered, "Thoughless", performed live by Evanescence. But I have this Amy Lee thing, so...

SDF
2007-02-13, 03:07 AM
I like With A Little Help From My Friends by The Beatles done by Joe Cocker

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-13, 03:11 AM
I detest Korn, so I will ignore those two, but I will say:

1- Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) covered by SRV, written by Jimi Hendrix. He mastered this song to an extent that it is frightening.

2- Kneel to the Cross covered by Agalloch originally by Sol Invictus. This is only by the virtue that the singer of Agalloch is better than Tony Wakeford.

3- The Entire Keasbey Nights album, covered by Streetlight Manifesto originally by Catch 22. I prefer the Streetlight version because it is very similar, but it works better.

Sundog
2007-02-13, 03:47 AM
I like With A Little Help From My Friends by The Beatles done by Joe Cocker

Oh yeah, Joe Cocker did an absolutely excellent job on that.

Another Beatles tune done better was Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds by Elton John, and a third was Eleanor Rigby by Zoot.

I'm listening to a CD of covers of various pieces made by my favourite band, Icehouse. It's got two different covers of Bowie's Heroes (Both good, and quite different, but I'm a big Bowie fan too, and I think I prefer his version), and an absolutely excellent cover of The Velvet Underground's All Tomorrow's Parties - sounds nothing like Lou Reed and company, but that's okay, it's still great.

ZombieRockStar
2007-02-13, 09:02 AM
"Hellelujah" - Jeff Buckley cover. This is an amazing version of an amazing song. Not that ugly version on Shrek, listen to Buckley's version.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Tori Amos. I think it works better than the Nirvana original. The lyrics fit the piano and her voice better than they do Kurt's.

"Me & Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin. It works better as a rock song than country.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-13, 09:07 AM
I like Joni Mitchell covers better than JoniMitchell, pretty much invariably. She pulled funny stuff with the cadence.

Amotis
2007-02-13, 11:13 AM
(zombie you took the ones I immediate thought of)

Contrary to all the critics, I kinda liked Animal Collective's cover of Polly. Probably cause I like the song (again, contrary to most critics).

Will Oldham and Tortise did a cover album ranging from The Man (Springstein) to Elton John. It was really cool and his version of Thunder Road is memorable.

Johnny Cash did a cover of Bonnie "Prince" Billy's I See A Darkness and like anything that man did when he was dying, it's full with the creaking sunset of old age.

Frank Zappa did a cover of Ravel's Bolero that's one of my favorites.

Course Nirvana's - Man Who Sold The World

And if we're talking Bowie songs; Queen's Under Pressure.

And now that I think about it I do know a lot of cover songs, just can't remember any...

Telonius
2007-02-13, 11:27 AM
Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower." (Original: Bob Dylan).
Rod Stewart, "Forever Young." (Original: Bob Dylan).
Guns N Roses, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." (Original: ... take a wild guess).

Amotis
2007-02-13, 11:28 AM
It's a little known fact that Bob Dylan has indeed written every popular song in existance.

edito - linked proof (http://www.cinefilevideo.com/2007/01/24/bob-dylan-wrote-every-song-ever-made/)

Telonius
2007-02-13, 11:29 AM
... despite not being able to sing any of them.:smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-02-13, 11:31 AM
Did you not see my linked proof? Of course he can. Dylan is one of my favorite vocalists

Telonius
2007-02-13, 11:36 AM
Sadly no, at work and can't. I actually do like his voice on a lot of his earlier stuff, but it just got all messed up somewhere in the 70s or 80s. For a really weird, "makes you think" experience, play "The Times They Are A-Changin'" right before "Things Have Changed."

Indurain
2007-02-13, 11:47 AM
Anything Johnny Cash ever covered. There is a man who continously brought new meanings to songs through his unique vocal styling.

Paul Oakenfold's remix of Dave Matthews' "When the World Ends."

Blue Man Group's cover of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"

David Bowie's version of Iggy Pop's "China Girl"

Eric Clapton's version of Bob Marley's "I shot the sherrif"

G'N'R's cover of Wings' "Live and Let Die"

Gary Jules cover of Tears for Fears "Mad World"

Faith No More's cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"

Pearl Jam's cover of J. Frank Wilson & The Cavalier's "Last Kiss"

To name a few.

ZombieRockStar
2007-02-13, 01:34 PM
I think I actually prefer Dylan over all of his covers. I think I especially dislike the GnR cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door." Although Joan Baez's cover of "Blowin' in the Wind" is pretty awesome.

ELP also have a good version of the hymn "Jerusalem."

ElfLad
2007-02-13, 01:46 PM
Van Halen - You Really Got Me

GNR - Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Sympathy for the Devil (Not quite as good as the Rolling Stones, but still good.)

Beach Boys - Misirlou

George Harrison - If Not For You

The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man

Amotis
2007-02-13, 02:05 PM
As do I (prefer Dylan's versions better). Especially with songs like Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Mr. Tambourine Man. His touch is something else.

John Mayer has an old recording of Bob's No Woman No Cry which I had to learn. It's really cool.

FdL
2007-02-13, 02:12 PM
Speaking of Dylan covers, where can I find the original version of "I'll Keep It With Mine"? I know it was a very different song, a rough demo probably out of something like The Basement Tapes. The song has an interesting story of influential artists covering it. Fairport Convention did a wonderful version, which I think predates Nico's. More recently there's a neat version by Bettie Serveert in the "I Shot Andy Warhol" soundtrack. That in turn features many covers of 60's tunes... :)

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-13, 04:06 PM
Aha's "Take On Me" by Reel Big Fish. Although most people who I've showed the song to that knew about Aha before hand don't like it, and those who haven't do like it. I guess it's just the mindset they have when they first listen to it :smalltongue:

Chunklets
2007-02-13, 04:07 PM
"Me & Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin. It works better as a rock song than country.

So very very seconded.

I'd like to add the Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb" as done by Social Distortion. The cover version takes the creepy, gloating, vibe of the original, which to be honest I don't like that much, and turns it into a straight-ahead, up-tempo, angry rock song (NSFW, incidentally; there's a bit of swearing in it that isn't present in the original).

Joe Strummer also did a very nice version of "Redemption Song."

zeratul
2007-02-13, 04:21 PM
I like the Ben Folds cover of "inbetween days" by The Cure

sktarq
2007-02-13, 04:31 PM
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by The Bad Plus-it is a bit of an odd cover as it is well....an instramental...with onlt three instruments....but it works! I swear!

Indurain
2007-02-13, 05:12 PM
Tweeter and the Monkey Man - Headstones

Jack Squat
2007-02-13, 06:32 PM
Cheap Trick's I Want You to Want Me is alot better than the original.

of course the original is about half the speed and less rock-ish...

tape_measure
2007-02-13, 06:55 PM
Anything Johnny Cash ever covered. There is a man who continously brought new meanings to songs through his unique vocal styling.

AMEN! I haven't found another singer who could take great songs and make them that much better.

Other good covers:

Me First and Gimmie Gimmies - ....crap! One of those days...sorry. It'll come later and I'll edit this.

Save Ferris - Buttercup (better as a ska...but I think thats a given, right?)

smellie_hippie
2007-02-13, 07:20 PM
I'd have to veto the covers of Pink Floyd tunes... I'm sorry, personal preferance.

However... Primus does a pretty good cover of Master of Puppets... :smallwink:

Edit: Also forgot the following...
Ani DiFranco Amazing Grace
Cracker & Leftover Salmon Low

soozenw
2007-02-13, 09:03 PM
pearl jam's cover of the who's "baba o'riley". i love the who, but i am a bigger fan of eddie vedder's voice. and seeing pearl jam perfom this song live is unbelievable. (especially when eddie breaks tamborines on each other and throws them into the crowd....i'm a shameless pearl jam fan.)

JabberwockySupafly
2007-02-13, 09:42 PM
I can only think of a few of them right now.

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails was brilliant, if anyone deserves to sing that song it's Cash. Hearing his cover made me weep like a wee babe. Also, while this song is not on it, there's an album called Unchained that Johnny Cash did that has several cover songs he did of modern bands, including Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, and Rowboat by Beck.

Someone already mentioned Patton & the boys, but Faith No More's cover of Burt Bacharach's This Guy's In Love With You is heaps good, it actually ended up being the song my wife & I used as the Bride & Groom dance at our wedding (We're both mad Patton fans, and the reason we met was discussing his music). Their cover of Lionel Richie & The Commodore's Easy is good stuff too.

Primus did The Thing That Should Not Be (originally Metallica, pre-suckfest), and Have A Cigar by Pink Floyd. While I love the original Cigar more than the cover, it deserves a mention as anything Les Claypool touches tends to turn to gold in my eyes.

Clutch did some covers on their new album, including Howlin' Wolf's Who's Been Talking? and Mississippi Fred McDowell's Gravel Road and while I love my blues music, I also love my rock, and Clutch did nothing but take two brilliant songs, and make them even better.

these are all I can think of right now, will probably add more at a later date.

Cheers
JS

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-02-13, 10:11 PM
I'll second Jabberwocky on Cash's rendition of "Hurt." The man was made for that song - you really could feel the weight of the years when he sang it, rather than being just more moody Goth stuff from Reznor (note: I'm a big NIN fan). I like the original, but Cash just added so much more power and feeling to the song it blows me away every time.

For another cover I prefer over the original, I prefer Rage Against the Machine's take on "Street Fighting Man," though I love the Rolling Stone's original. The raw anger of the RAtM version just fits, and it works right into the revolutionary zeal of the band's other work.

EDIT:
Gary Jules' version of "Mad World," originally be Tears for Fears, is incredible. Jules' version is softer and slower, and much sadder, than the original. I like Tears for Fears, but this song benefits so much from the simpler, more classic style that I can't even listen to the original anymore. You might recognize this particular version from Donnie Darko or the excellent Gears of War (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFnsjDDnLck) trailer.

B-Man
2007-02-13, 10:18 PM
I don't really know why, but I prefer Metallica's cover of Smoke on the Water, originally done by Deep Purple. And I also prefer Trivium's tribute of Master of Puppets, originally composed by Metallica. I also like Death Angel's tribute of Trapped Under Ice... another one by Metallica.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-13, 10:35 PM
Rasputin - Boiled In Lead (Boney M original)
Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann (Bruce Springsteen)

Some more will probably come to me. I'll also second Nirvana's The Man Who Sold The World and Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-13, 10:42 PM
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley cover. This is an amazing version of an amazing song. Not that ugly version on Shrek, listen to Buckley's version....

This was my #1 choice. It's just amazing. My number #2 choice was Lilac Wine by Buckley, which like better than either the Nina Simone or Elkie Brooks versions.

...Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails was brilliant, if anyone deserves to sing that song it's Cash. Hearing his cover made me weep like a wee babe....

This, too, is an excellent choice. It's just so powerful coming from Cash.

FdL
2007-02-13, 11:13 PM
(...) Johnny Cash did that has several cover songs he did of modern bands, including Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, and Rowboat by Beck.

Now that you mention Beck, Tom Petty does a great cover of a song of his called "A**hole". Great song, doesn't deserve forum censorship :p

Someone already mentioned Patton & the boys, but Faith No More's cover of Burt Bacharach's This Guy's In Love With You is heaps good

*snip*

I will look it up, but I also propose Grenadine's cover of the same song ("This girl's in love with you"), all 1930's lo-fi radio crackle, spare yet powefully moving. Jenny Toomey has an incredible voice.

I'd have to veto the covers of Pink Floyd tunes... I'm sorry, personal preferance.

I'd say the same with other artist like The Beatles and The Velvet Underground. It just doesn't cut it, at best it may remind you of the original. Joe Cocker included, I tell you.

They can range from a nice but kinda pointless excercise (I Am Sam), a fun, heartfelt homage (check The Smithereens covering Meet The Beatles in its entirety, I have, today), and embarrassment-in-a-disc ("Bettie Serveert plays Venus In Furs", an entire album of VU covers).

Cracker & Leftover Salmon Low
[/QUOTE]

Good one! That's a surprisingly good little record! How cool is that they help cover themselves, super twang-style? :)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-14, 01:17 AM
I prefer the original Mad World. Don't ask me why, bu I do.

Sundog
2007-02-14, 03:01 AM
I prefer the original Mad World. Don't ask me why, bu I do.

You're not alone; I do too. The new one is still very good though.

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann (Bruce Springsteen)

Yes!

I'd say the same with other artist like The Beatles and The Velvet Underground. It just doesn't cut it, at best it may remind you of the original. Joe Cocker included, I tell you.

I'd really suggest you take a listen at Icehouse's take on All Tomorrow's Parties. I'll see if I can find a YouTube on it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-14, 07:54 AM
Immigrant Song - Demons & Wizards (Led Zeppelin original)

KuReshtin
2007-02-16, 08:51 PM
I'm going to throw in a few of my favourite curveball covers here..

I did like the cover of "Land of Confusion" (originally Genesis) that Disturbed did. The heavier beat helped it out a lot.

I also like Bruce Willis' (yes, Die Hard-Bruce) cover of "Under the Boardwalk" from his album The Return of Bruno.

I'm also very partial to the spoof covers of songs by the likes of Richard Cheese. His cover of Disturbed's "Down With the Sickness" is just pure gold.

The worst cover I have ever heard is one that is going to be released here in the UK in a bit as a part of the Comic Relief charity event. Girls Aloud (winners of UK reality tv show Pop Idols) and Sugababes are covering the classic "Walk This Way", originally performed by Aerosmith and RunDMC. Worst. Cover. Ever! EVER!!

Khantalas
2007-02-16, 08:57 PM
Me First and Gimmie Gimmies - ....crap! One of those days...sorry. It'll come later and I'll edit this.

Over the Rainbow?

My pick is, Where Did You Sleep Last Night by, drumrolls, Nirvana. They made that song.

heretic
2007-02-16, 09:01 PM
I second Another Brick in the Wall and Land of Confusion.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 09:24 PM
...I tend to like covers I hear before the original. Only one that really comes to mind as much better is Demon Hunter's cover of Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. The original is so much...blander.

Axl_Rose
2007-02-17, 01:23 PM
Bob Dylan's a better lyricist than he is a singer.

Anyways - Covers:
The Ramones - What a wonderful world (Originally by... some guy.)
Oasis - Come on Feel the Noize (Originally by Slade)
Guns n' Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Im sorry, Dylan's version pales in comparison)
Guns n' Roses - Sympathy for the Devil.
Muse - Feeling Good

Also check out my Piano Covers on youtube.

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 01:44 PM
The Ramones - What a wonderful world (Originally by... some guy.)

Louis Armstrong?

Appearantly though, he was the only one to sing the song under that name. All others went with Over the Rainbow.

Including Israel what's-his-name.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-17, 02:52 PM
Covers that try to be like the original but aren't as good are always pointless. I'll note Nightwish's cover of Over the Hills and Far away merely because it pointed me in the direction of the original.

I have an album by Show of Hands of folk covers of random bands. I wouldn't say any are better than the originals but having the diversity on one CD is interesting. Covering Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Radiohead and Peter Gabriel on one album can be interesting.

Bands who cover famous songs just for publicity need to be shot. My father has warned me to never listen to Madonna's bland version of the great sing-along song American Pie. It shouldn't be possible to make that song dull but if she's managed it then I guess that's deserves some kind of respect.

The Prince of Cats
2007-02-17, 03:06 PM
Apocalyptica's cover of 'Nothing Else Matters'

Sisqui
2007-02-17, 08:17 PM
Dave Matthews Band- All along the Watchtower. I liked it better than any other version I have heard.

Nerzi
2007-02-18, 10:13 AM
'The Byrds' did some brilliant Dylan covers, I'm not gunna say better than the originals, that's be a lie, Bob Dylan's my absolute favourite musicain, but their renditions are all very different from the originals and well worth listening to. I really like their version of 'My Back Pages'.

Joan Baez does some decent Dylan covers too, I especialy like 'I Pity the Poor Immigrant'. Her album 'Any Day Now' is made entirely of Dylan covers, got it for christmas and it's very good.

Fairport conventions 'covers' of what were previously old folk songs are great too, though they probably don't count as 'covers' really. 'Matty Groves' & 'Tam Lin' would be my favourite of these, but there are plenty, plenty more.

Yeah...I'm into my folk...

Vaynor
2007-02-21, 10:42 AM
I like most Weird Al Yankovich stuff...

...what?

Om
2007-02-21, 10:45 AM
Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails was brilliant, if anyone deserves to sing that song it's Cash.Agreed. Cash's almost broken voice, and indeed life, really gives that track a whole new dimension.

Amotis
2007-02-21, 11:47 AM
Sparklehorses' (And Thom Yorke's vocals) - Wish You Were Here

zeratul
2007-02-21, 12:59 PM
Rufus Wainrights Hallelujah cover ( I think the other versions sound bad)

Kami no Rai
2007-02-21, 01:36 PM
My top three:

1. Song Name: Hurt, Original Author: Nine Inch Nails, Covered by: Johnny Cash

2. Song Name: Imagine, Original Author: John Lennon, Covered by: A Perfect Circle

3. Song Name: Crazy Train, Original Author: Ozzy Ozbourne, Covered by: Tenacious D

Exachix
2007-02-21, 02:04 PM
A-ha's "Take On Me" by Reel Big Fish is good.
Hayseed Dixie did 'Holiday' as a cover from Green Day. Better with Banjos in my opinion.
Hayseed Dixie Covered alot of AC/DC's songs. They are all good and done as a 'hillbilly tribute to AC/DC'. =)

Jorkens
2007-02-21, 02:14 PM
Sonic Youth cover of Within You Without You?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-21, 02:20 PM
I like most Weird Al Yankovich stuff...

Most people enjoy his parodies, but would you say his straight covers (with not lyrical alterations) are more worth listening to that the originals?

I find Weird Al is too good at parodying to add any value to a song apart from humor. For example his James Blunt parody suffers from sounding way too much like James Blunt to be listanable to. I've only heard him do a non-altered version of Bohemian Rapsody though and I dislike Queen and don't find his version any more bearable.

Don Beegles
2007-02-21, 02:55 PM
Some band fairly recently did a cover of Under Pressure, that was interesting, not because it was particularly good, but because it was just different enough from the original that when they were played together an interesting harmony happened. Alone, it would have been meh, but with Queen/Bowie underneath it, it was pretty cool.

Vaynor
2007-02-21, 11:11 PM
Most people enjoy his parodies, but would you say his straight covers (with not lyrical alterations) are more worth listening to that the originals?

I find Weird Al is too good at parodying to add any value to a song apart from humor. For example his James Blunt parody suffers from sounding way too much like James Blunt to be listanable to. I've only heard him do a non-altered version of Bohemian Rapsody though and I dislike Queen and don't find his version any more bearable.

Well, not direct covers, and I was mostly joking. :smalltongue:

clarkvalentine
2007-02-21, 11:26 PM
No contest.

Satisfaction, as covered by Devo.

It's brilliant.

valis
2007-02-22, 09:47 PM
So, what songs do you people like that are as good, or better than the original?

The Wall Flowers - Heroes

Gnarles Barkley - Gone Daddy Gone

Iron and wine - Such Great Heights.

Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions <-An Album of David Bowie songs done with only an acoustic guitar and sung in portuguese. I love the whole album but my favorite snogs: When I live my Dreams, Five Years, and Life on mars.

All better then the original.

Amotis
2007-02-22, 09:48 PM
Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions <-An Album of David Bowie songs done with only an acoustic guitar and sung in portuguese. I love the whole album but my favorite snogs: When I live my Dreams, Five Years, and Life on mars.

That acutally sounds pretty cool. Imma look into that.

FdL
2007-02-22, 09:58 PM
Sparklehorse!!! I love the songwriting and the aesthetic, it really is something. Latest album is pretty good too. The cover is interesting, pretty Sparklehorse-ified. Don't see where Yorke is though, as it seems to be Linkous who's doing the singing.

Has anyone heard Radiohead's cover of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl? When I read that they were getting into it in rehearsals I thought it was a joke. Well, they played it live, really good, though pretty similar to the original (which is ok, it's a rock monolith). They did put their touch, though, I don't know if on purpose or not, but they changed a couple chords from major to minor.

I haven't heard SY's cover of Within You Without You, but I have the impression that it's at best a starting point for a jam or a straight homage. I'll look it up and tell you what I think.

You know who makes kickass covers? Yo La Tengo. They're all over the place, mostly obscure stuff though.

valis
2007-02-22, 10:01 PM
That acutally sounds pretty cool. Imma look into that.

Please do and when you do hear the whole album PM your thoughts on this site.

Amotis
2007-02-22, 10:05 PM
@^valis: sure. I'll probably have to search around as it sounds pretty obscure.

Yo La Tengo! Hells yes.

I was unsure about who was doing the vocals too. I wiki'd it and it said Thom Yorke...so I just assumed that was right. But it doesn't really sound like him but he does change it around sometimes.

Radiohead did a "cover" of Oasis Wonderwall where they basically made fun of them. Funny.

FdL
2007-02-22, 11:07 PM
Noooo, but Radiohead's Wonderwall cover is great too, because they also put their touch in it. They put in some minor chords that add a world of tension.

Like when REM played I Will Survive. They totally made it their own. You know, it's with bands like those that covers make sense, when they have a musical language of their own.

On the other hand, Decemberists cover of Clementine sucked big time. :D

Amotis
2007-02-22, 11:17 PM
Heh, okay their "serious" version was cool. I have one where' they're just joking around and Thom is trying to "sing" like him.

And Celementine was a cover? Of who? *goes to look*

FdL
2007-02-22, 11:23 PM
Heh, okay their "serious" version was cool. I have one where' they're just joking around and Thom is trying to "sing" like him.

And Celementine was a cover? Of who? *goes to look*

Elliott Smith!!! Oh, come on you knew it :p
I'm talking about the tribute album. They played it live too, before he passed away.

Amotis
2007-02-22, 11:25 PM
Oooh...right. I was thinking about the song that talks about varsuvius...dang, what's that called...Cocoon. That one.

FdL
2007-02-22, 11:57 PM
Their cover is a slowed down version which IMHO takes away what's nice about the original...

If I knew how to play fingerpicking I'd learn that song, among others by Smith. It's just an entirely different feeling to play like that.

I missed the varsuvius joke. I'm kinda sleepy :p

Amotis
2007-02-23, 12:00 AM
It wasn't a joke, heh, the lyrics talk about varsuvius.

I really want to learn his cover of 13 (Oh! Right! Elliot Smith's cover of Thirteen) but I can't find sheet music in the local stores and none of the tabs sound right. He makes it sound so pretty.

FdL
2007-02-23, 12:11 AM
It's one of the few songs I can play and sing at the same time from start to finish. I kinda play it like Yo La Tengo's Big Day Coming slow... :p
I kinda don't know how to come back from the solo to the verse, though. any clues?
I love that song...

clarkvalentine
2007-02-23, 12:19 AM
I feel privileged - I actually know who Yo La Tengo is, and own one of their disks. :smallsmile:

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-23, 05:54 PM
Wild Horses - The Sundays. Saw a live performance of it on MTV, lo, these many years ago. It was pretty good.

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-23, 06:09 PM
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
GNR - Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Sympathy for the Devil
Both seconded.
I also liked Guitar Hero's Covers of -
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
You Really Got Me by Van Halen
Shout at the Devil by Motley Crue
Hangar 18 by Megadeth
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera
Better than the origionals.

FdL
2007-02-23, 09:20 PM
@clarkvalentine: Which album? I think they are all great, the latest one is not-surprisingly really good. But kinda different, which is good, each of their albums has its own identity.
I hate those people who think YLT are a noise or shoegaze band (I'm thinking of one particular bassist girl I knew, don't worry :D), when they are anything but. Electr-O-Pura is amazing, but they are more than that. They don't have a fixed style, I love how they can play very different stuff, from the most experimental to simple pop songs.
Speaking of covers, their officially released cover songs are great, but it's so funny to hear their WFMU shows where they try to play requests. Some come out soooo great, such talent that comes out spontaneously...

@Ted_Stryker: That cover of Wild Horses is good, she's got a beautiful voice. But I like Gram Parsons' version better. He used to hang out with the Stones, you know.

@Teh_Jakester: Guitar Hero the game?????? You really think they are better than the originals? In which way? I mean, I thought they were imitations in place of the originals because of copyright reasons probably.

Artega
2007-02-23, 10:29 PM
Me First and the Gimme Gimme's rendition of I Believe I Can Fly

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-23, 11:38 PM
@Ted_Stryker: That cover of Wild Horses is good, she's got a beautiful voice. But I like Gram Parsons' version better. He used to hang out with the Stones, you know.
I'm not familiar with that one, I'll have to YouTube it or something to check it out.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-23, 11:44 PM
@clarkvalentine: Which album? I think they are all great, the latest one is not-surprisingly really good. But kinda different, which is good, each of their albums has its own identity.
I hate those people who think YLT are a noise or shoegaze band (I'm thinking of one particular bassist girl I knew, don't worry :D), when they are anything but. Electr-O-Pura is amazing, but they are more than that. They don't have a fixed style, I love how they can play very different stuff, from the most experimental to simple pop songs.
Speaking of covers, their officially released cover songs are great, but it's so funny to hear their WFMU shows where they try to play requests. Some come out soooo great, such talent that comes out spontaneously...

@Teh_Jakester: Guitar Hero the game?????? You really think they are better than the originals? In which way? I mean, I thought they were imitations in place of the originals because of copyright reasons probably.

Guitar Hero has cover bands performing most of the songs. I think this is done so they can lower the volume of the vocalist and amplify the volume of the guitar. But I'm not positive.

ElfLad
2007-02-24, 12:11 AM
No, they can do that with the original tracks (like John the Fisherman or Stop) but a lot of artists just didn't want them messing around with it.

I personally liked GH2's covers of Strutter and Girlfriend more than I liked the originals.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 12:13 AM
Guitar Hero covers? Are you serious? I was gaging when their vocalists try to do artists like Nirvana, Danzig, or Alice in Chains. I mean, when bad covers come out like that it shows you how good the originals are. For example, try to hear anyone do a Queen cover. Yeah, thought so.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-02-24, 12:21 AM
Dream Theater did awesome covers of several songs on their "A Change of Seasons" LP they released not long after "Awake". They did covers of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" , Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" and others.

Nightwish did an excellent "Over the hills and far away" originally done by an 80's songwriter whose name escapes me.

Lacuna Coil did a cover of "Enjoy the Silence" from Depeche Mode (I think) ; which incidentally is the best song on theor "Karmacode" album.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 12:27 AM
I thought the Plant/Page thing was a joke, but then you seemed to be confused at the Depeche Mode song. So OTHAFA is by Zeppelin. And Enjoy the Silence was by DM.

ElfLad
2007-02-24, 12:34 AM
Guitar Hero covers? Are you serious? I was gaging when their vocalists try to do artists like Nirvana, Danzig, or Alice in Chains. I mean, when bad covers come out like that it shows you how good the originals are. For example, try to hear anyone do a Queen cover. Yeah, thought so.

Well, those were horrible (killer Queen especially is an abomination) but I never liked Kiss's vocals in the first place, and Matthew Sweet's voice is a bit nasally, although it's growing on me.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:16 AM
I prefer the Thyrfing cover of Over the Hills and Far Away than the Nightwish version, if only because I prefer the vocalist of Thyrfing- he has an amazing melodic voice for someone who spends a lot of his time screaming.

The song was originally done by Gary Moore.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 01:27 AM
Really? I thought it was from a song called White Summer by the Yardbirds and Page just messed around with it and made it OTHAFA.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:32 AM
Nope, it is on his (Gary Moore's) album Wild Frontier.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 01:37 AM
...wait, I know what's going on. We're talking about different Over The Hills And Far Away.

Nightwish's and thus Gary Moore's OTHAFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPU4D02mv4)

Zepplelin's and thus the yardbirds' OTHAFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXuStZdtxY)

Hehe, that was strange.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:41 AM
Stupid songs with the same name.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-24, 07:43 AM
...wait, I know what's going on. We're talking about different Over The Hills And Far Away.

Nightwish's and thus Gary Moore's OTHAFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPU4D02mv4)

Zepplelin's and thus the yardbirds' OTHAFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXuStZdtxY)

Hehe, that was strange.

Then there's the original "fighting for the crown" Over the Hills and Far Away about King George. Or is that what Led Zeplin's is based off...

I feel odd for having already mentioned Gary Moore's Over the Hills and Far Away on the second page but I guess few people bother reading every post.

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-24, 09:55 AM

Yeah. But when I wrote the Aerosmith one, I must have been drunk or something...
I meant to write Freebird!:smallbiggrin:

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-24, 03:35 PM
Then there's the original "fighting for the crown" Over the Hills and Far Away about King George. Or is that what Led Zeplin's is based off...
No, the Zep tune isn't about King George, unless I'm missing something very subtle in the lyrics.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 03:39 PM
Yeah, the king george one was just traditional tune with (again) the same title.

ElfLad
2007-02-24, 11:20 PM
From what I heard, Zep's version of OTHAFA was inspired by The Hobbit. And it cannot be topped, do you hear me!

clarkvalentine
2007-02-24, 11:50 PM
@clarkvalentine: Which album? I think they are all great, the latest one is not-surprisingly really good.

I have two CDs, both older... Camp Yo La Tengo and Painful. They're pretty neat. I don't try to categorize them in any particular way, but don't get all that upset by people who do. :smallwink:

Amotis
2007-02-25, 12:51 AM
I have two CDs, both older... Camp Yo La Tengo and Painful. They're pretty neat. I don't try to categorize them in any particular way, but don't get all that upset by people who do. :smallwink:

They're a super fun band. I mean, just look at their name. Yo La Tango. *dances*

ElfLad
2007-02-25, 01:09 AM
TMBG - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-25, 01:17 AM
They're a super fun band. I mean, just look at their name. Yo La Tango. *dances*

It's actually "Yo La Tengo", Amotis.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-25, 01:18 AM
Murder City Sparrows did a cover of All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth that is very, very, very win.

Amotis
2007-02-25, 01:41 AM
It's actually "Yo La Tengo", Amotis.

Oh noes! Are they gonna come to my house and prance all over me in my shame? Acutally, the would be kinda fun.

Though not exactly a cover, it's certainly not the original artist and certainly a rendition.

Ensemble Moderne doing Frank Zappa's Pound for a Brown. linky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=91VPEAHK9GA).

Zappa is one of those artists that walk the line when I list my favorite high and low art bands/composers. I can't decide where to put him. That being said, that concert is awesome. For any fan of Zappa, the album was called "The Yellow Shark."

Iron_Mouse
2007-02-25, 06:29 AM
I did like the cover of "Land of Confusion" (originally Genesis) that Disturbed did. The heavier beat helped it out a lot.

QFT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KW8DRSvEoQ

Also cool:
Blind Guardian - Surfin' USA (Original by The Beach Boys)
Graveworm - Losing my Religion (Original by R.E.M.)
Norther - Final Countdown (Original by Europe)
And of course, the ultimate AC/DC cover: Six Feet Under - T.N.T.!

Ten Masked Men (http://www.tenmaskedmen.com/) made some badass covers, too. Like Beat It (Michael Jackson) or Blue (Eiffel 65).

Ooooo! Eläkeläiset! Well, ok. They don't cover, they...humpparize the songs, or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjqojIjdVuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFVW2AA6ID4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnV13RTt1k

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-25, 06:46 AM
I prefer the Blind Guardian cover of Fear of the Dark to the Iron Maiden version

FdL
2007-02-25, 10:04 PM
The guy from Red House Painters, Mark Kozelek, made a whole album of AC/DC songs from the Bon Scott period, rendered in his introspective, pensive acoustic guitar style. It's such a great listen! There's another record entirely composed of Modest Mouse covers (of all things). Amotis, you should check that out. At least tell me you know Red House Painters :p

And speaking of them, they make some interesting twists with covers in some albums. In Songs For A Blue Guitar, they play McCartney's Silly Love Songs like it was Neil Young's Cortez The Killer. Really.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-02-25, 10:26 PM
In general, alot of Dylan covers are pretty good, though i tend to prefer the originals (personnally) some exceptions include KT Tunstall's two covers of Dylan on youtube (Simple twist of fate and tangled up in blue) and Eddie Vedder's Masters of war at the Bob Dylan 30th anniversery concert (also on youtube)

Amotis
2007-02-25, 11:08 PM
Pearl Jam's Last Kiss is one of their few good songs To bad it ain't theirs...

And of course I know Red House Painters. One of the few slowcore bands I like. His voice and songwritting match perfectly. Though I haven't heard the MM album, what is it called?

ElfLad
2007-02-25, 11:23 PM
some exceptions include KT Tunstall's two covers of Dylan on youtube (Simple twist of fate and tangled up in blue)

But... Tangled Up in Blue was one of the songs that were perfectly suited to Dylan. For example, Mannfred Mann's cover of Quinn the Eskimo was good because Dylan's version was pretty lame, IMO, but Tangled Up in Blue is great as-is.

Amotis
2007-02-25, 11:27 PM
I agree. His execution of songs like Tangled Up In Blue and Isis are spot on and I really can't see it as anything else except as an immortal Dylan tune.

Scorpina
2007-02-25, 11:27 PM
"Anarchy in the UK" as covered by Megadeth, "Delilah" as covered by either Flogging Molly or The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, "Over the Hills and Far Away" as sung by Nightwish and "Enjoy the Silence" as done by Tori Amos and Lacuna Coil (seperately).

FdL
2007-02-27, 01:42 PM
And of course I know Red House Painters. One of the few slowcore bands I like. His voice and songwritting match perfectly. Though I haven't heard the MM album, what is it called?

It's actually credited to his newest band/project Sun Kil Moon. It's called "Tiny Cities". I think if you're familiar with both the originals and his songwriting you'll enjoy it.

Is RHP a slowcore band? I've yet to find a band other than Low to wich that genre tag could apply. Lots of good Low covers around too. "You Are My Sunshine", "I started a Joke", "Blowin' in the wind", "Last Night I dreamt Somebody loved me"...."Transmission"! I almost forgot that one, which is so great. I'm not crazy about their latest material but it's a band I love.

Amotis
2007-02-27, 06:55 PM
That's what I've always called them and heard them called. And okay, I'll check that out. I didn't even know he had a new project...