PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater + Pyrokineticist

Pinkcrusade
2014-05-12, 04:07 PM
Greetings, Playground.

So, I have been toying with a build that involves a Pyrokineticist and Soul Eater from XPH and BoVD, respectively. The first level or Pyrokineticist grants the Fire Lash (Ps) ability, which enables the wielder to attack with said lash as a Ranged Touch Attack. Now, the Soul Eater class (first level, again) grants the ability to Energy Drain on a touch attack. I was thinking of combining these two traits, and making a negative level dealer. I already have the rage variant (Whirling Frenzy) which permits another attack at your highest BAB with all attacks following being at -2, and I would like to maximize the quantity of attacks in a single round with my Fire Lash. My base attack so far would be ((+6/+6/+6/+1)-2), (+6/+1 from normal base attack, +6 from Whirling Frenzy, +6 from Boots of Speed) which isn't enough!

Is anybody aware of other ways I could obtain extra attacks with a single weapon?

Thanks.

(The race is Elan with Willing Deformity (Claws).

Urpriest
2014-05-12, 09:02 PM
They're different touch attacks. They're even different kinds of touch attacks. They...they don't work together. That would be like saying you can cast Color Spray and Grease at the same time because they both take a Standard Action.

Pinkcrusade
2014-05-12, 09:13 PM
Though that would make sense, a reading of "Energy Drain (Su)" would state something different: "Energy Drain (Su)This attack saps a living opponent’s vital energy and happens automatically when a melee or ranged attack hits. Each successful energy drain bestows one or more negative levels (the creature’s description specifies how many). If an attack that includes an energy drain scores a critical hit, it drains twice the given amount. Unless otherwise specified in the creature’s description, a draining creature gains 5 temporary hit points (10 on a critical hit) for each negative level it bestows on an opponent. These temporary hit points last for a maximum of 1 hour."

The Soul Eater's Energy Drain (Su) is identical, with the only difference being enhancements on this single ability, and, in my opinion, is subject to the same ruling as shown by aforementioned Energy Drain.

I obviously understand the difference between Grease and Color Spray, thanks for clarifying that, though.

Necroticplague
2014-05-12, 09:34 PM
The Soul Eater's ability to drain energy is infamously poorly worded. Since its an SU ability that isn't specified otherwise, it is a standard action that comes "with a touch". It doesn't specify if this is a touch attack, or if it has to be with a specific weapon or not. You'd have to clear this up with the DM, then present the way he interprets it before nonconflicting advice can be properly given (ex, if DM rules it's a "rider' to a normal attack, you want as many attacks as possible, while if he says its a standard action, you want as high a to-hit on one attack as possible).

Nettlekid
2014-05-12, 09:57 PM
Ur-Priest is right.
Like not just in this conversation. But like, in general.
About stuff.
Ur-Priest is right.

Now, if you could somehow get the Necrotic Focus weapon special quality onto the Pyrokineticist's whips, maybe by clever use of Kensai, that could probably get you where you want to be. Or thereabouts.