PDA

View Full Version : Optimization PrC Ideas for a Paladin of Freedom

ArqArturo
2014-05-12, 06:56 PM
A friend wants to make an illumian Paladin of Freedom for our game in 3.5 (the one I have a Warmage), and he's lvl 6 (as we all are at this point). These are his stats (28 point buy):

Illumian (Aesh and Krau sigils):

Str 15 (17 with gloves of Ogre Str)
Dex 8
Con 15 (Raised to 16 at level 4)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 14 (16 with Cloak of Charisma)

Feats: Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Improved Sigil (Aesh), Sword of the Arcane Order

Is there a PrC that could help him progress in his spellcasting and still retain his melee prowess? He wants to use the wizard/sorcerer spells to use as either buffs or small-time divinations, just in case (but that would be a long time when he gets there, and most likely the sorcerer will already have an edge there).

Fenryr
2014-05-12, 10:18 PM
Pious Templar? Is the Greatsword the deity's favored weapon?

Fist of Raziel? You recommended me this PrC long ago.

Divine Crusader? Is the Greatsword the deity's favored weapon? Lots of spells but lower BAB.

Ordained Champion? Seems better for Clerics but may be useful.

Yorrin
2014-05-12, 10:24 PM
Holy Liberator is by far the best Pali of Freedom PrC

Or you could look into something like Bone Knight. 9/10 casting, 7/10 BAB, so perhaps less melee focused than what you're looking for. Or try to work your way into Ruby Knight Vindicator, perhaps?

Snowbluff
2014-05-12, 10:28 PM
RKV will need a refluff, of course. It's lawful. A crusader dip into Garnet Knight Vindicator should serve well.

But not Sapphire. Sapphire is another lawful color. :smalltongue:

ArqArturo
2014-05-12, 10:31 PM
It is Kord, yes.

The problem with Fist of Raziel is the alignment, and both Pious Templar and Divine Crusader, while good, do no improve the spellcasting (I believe the Sword of the Arcane Order benefit does not stack with the spells from other classes), so I might see what can be done if the DM does allow the Ordained Champion.

I also think the Divine Disciple might work, but considering paladins get 4th level spells waaaay far later, I think it's something to consider later.

RKV will need a refluff, of course. It's lawful. A crusader dip into Garnet Knight Vindicator should serve well.

But not Sapphire. Sapphire is another lawful color. :smalltongue:

How about Moonstone Vindicator? :p.

Endarire
2014-05-12, 10:34 PM
What about Ruby Knight Vindicator or Jade Phoenix Mage? This person may need to multiclass, but these PrCs seem spiffy. (Both progress casting.)

Snowbluff
2014-05-12, 10:37 PM
How about Moonstone Vindicator? :p.
That's the Sehanine version, which would be neutral. :p

ArqArturo
2014-05-12, 11:21 PM
What about Ruby Knight Vindicator or Jade Phoenix Mage? This person may need to multiclass, but these PrCs seem spiffy. (Both progress casting.)

I originally wanted a Warblade/Barbarian, and the DM's response was 'No Maneuver shenanigans, this isn't 4e', and promptly grabbed an onion and put it on his belt.

Ok, the belt thing is made up, but he did grab an onion (he's a cook).

On the subject of the Bone Knight, it looks pretty interesting, and I'll see if he wants to take it. Also, considering he already has Weapon Focus in a Greatsword and it's an illumian, how viable is a couple of levels in Shadow Sentinel?.

Sactheminions
2014-05-13, 11:47 PM
Paladin of Freedom is kind of cool, although your deity list is a little bit chunky. The problem with Paladin is that you are always better off dipping Cleric and then taking your PRC so you can advance awesome Cleric spellcasting instead of terrible Paladin Spellcasting. At which point you're playing a Cleric with weak spells and Divine Grace, really, but there it is.

Sacred Exorcist is a good option that has a bit more Paladin flavor than some.