PDA

View Full Version : Character using cards?

CyberThread
2014-05-12, 10:02 PM
No not gambit, but would like something just a build or focus using cards. Could be spells, melee, spirits, I don't know just... make it work damnit lol.

slaydemons
2014-05-12, 10:04 PM
No not gambit, but would like something just a build or focus using cards. Could be spells, melee, spirits, I don't know just... make it work damnit lol.

Could you flavor shurikens to be metal cards? then typical spamming throwing build? I don't know any off hand, but this is what I would do.

Benthesquid
2014-05-12, 10:07 PM
Pathfinder has the Harrower (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower)Prestige Class.

Magic Myrmidon
2014-05-12, 10:08 PM
It's pretty easily to refluff a lot of things without bothering with mechanics. For a spellcaster, material components are the cards, and somatic is either reading them or shuffling or floating them in front of you. You can reflavor shurikens, or even daggers, as slay suggested. For melee, when you draw a weapon, it's you drawing something from a magic deck of cards. You pick out the card, and the card shoots out a weapon that you then wield.

atomicwaffle
2014-05-12, 10:45 PM
Cardmaster

You have a hand of 7 blank cards. When you deliver the killing blow to a monster, you capture it's essence to a card. You may use the card as a standard action to perform that monsters attack and add any bonuses (if any). You are essentially replacing your attack with the monsters. You can also do this on monsters that cast spells to cast one of their spells (This causes the monster to vanish from the card). You can only use each card once per day. You may also use a card to summon the monster (as a full round action and not a 1 round action). Doing so makes the monster vanish from the card, opening it up. The monster fights for you and then vanishes once summon is up. You can also capture spells. If a spell is cast, and you identify it (knowledge: arcana) you can use a readied action to transfer it to a blank card. You may cast a captured spell once before it vanishes.

This is a rough rough ROUGH idea and outline of an idea i had about a year ago.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-05-13, 05:15 AM
Throw Anything feat, Far Shot feat.

Master Thrower and Pyrokinetic PrCs.

Done and done.

Telonius
2014-05-13, 05:39 AM
Fax Celestis has a Cartomancer (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=D20r:Cartomancer)class as part of his d20 Rebirth project. There's a lot of interesting stuff there.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-05-13, 11:09 AM
Re-fluff literally any vancian caster to say they cast spells by throwing cards from the "deck" they prepare when a wizard would memorize spells.

The cards only work for the caster and they are intangible to others because it's magic yo.

Telonius
2014-05-13, 11:19 AM
Be a cleric of a cause; your Holy Symbol (and divine focus) is a deck of cards.

Kazudo
2014-05-13, 11:20 AM
Re-fluff literally any vancian caster to say they cast spells by throwing cards from the "deck" they prepare when a wizard would memorize spells.

The cards only work for the caster and they are intangible to others because it's magic yo.

Refluff a wizard's spellbook to be a deck of playing cards (or in this case it was tarot cards) and you "draw a hand" at the beginning of every day and walk around with them hidden in a sleeve pocket or something to that effect.

I've seen that done, it did relatively little to change the way the game worked. We were also using Spell Recharge rules, so every "card spent" got shuffled back into the deck and redrawn the next round. That player, though, was actually randomizing his spell slots in combat. Out of combat he wouldn't really cast from cards per se.

One of the recommended methods for ToB Crusaders to operate is by using a deck of maneuver cards.

Feint's End
2014-05-13, 11:50 AM
In pathfinder there is a feat for using cards as darts in conjunction with arcane strike. It requires you to spend a swift action each round but it's basically just a few house rules from being really viable.
If I only could remember the name now ...

I also second that you can just reflavour material components as cards.

Red Fel
2014-05-13, 12:05 PM
Runesmith. Runesmith? Runesmith.

Here's why. Let's read the quote for the Runesmith's key class ability, Rune Magic.

A runesmith learns to prepare his arcane spells as runes inscribed on solid objects (usually small tablets of stone, but other objects are possible). He prepares spells as normal, except that instead of readying the spells in his mind, he readies them in the form of runes.
(Emphasis added.)

Can you guess what "other objects" I'm recommending you use?

Yes. You can use your runes-inscribed-on-cards to cast spells, and as a bonus they will not require any somatic components - which means no Arcane Spell Failure chance. The class feature explicitly calls out the Eschew Materials feat, noting that spells cast from runes will require the rune as a material component, you can use the feat to obviate other material components (within the terms of the feat). Thus, Runesmith + Eschew Materials = "You've activated my trap card!"

... Yes, I had to say it.

squiggit
2014-05-13, 12:09 PM
The wizard idea makes the most sense from a playability standpoint...

But I kinda wanna see a crusader whose manuever deck was an actual IC facet to the character too.

Kazudo
2014-05-13, 01:37 PM
The wizard idea makes the most sense from a playability standpoint...

But I kinda wanna see a crusader whose manuever deck was an actual IC facet to the character too.

Too bad Iron Heart isn't a Crusader thing.

"Iron Heart of the Cards!"