PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons Minatures

Dumbledore lives
2007-02-13, 09:20 AM
I mean the game that has little plastic minatures and you move them around, using spells and abilities and such. I don't have much money so I don't have every minature of any set but I do have about 200 guesstamating. I don't have anyone to play wiht thoug :(. I was wondering if anyone had any cool warband ideas or things they wanted to tlak about.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-13, 09:32 AM
I mean the game that has little plastic minatures and you move them around using spells and such. I don't have much money so I don't have everyone of any set but I do have about 200 guesstamating

There is a game that requires spells to move the miniatures? :smalleek: I can't imagine that very many people can enjoy that game, then. :smalltongue:

But seriously, what is your question? Where to find it? Whether to buy it?

Neo
2007-02-13, 09:36 AM
I think he's seeing if anyone else plays it. I've probably got about 50ish.

Larrin
2007-02-13, 01:39 PM
i wish i could trade in some of my 2000 mageknight figures that i never use for D&D minitures i'd never use. No way i'll ever get roped into a randomized buying game again, though, so i'll never get any (maybe one or two for character figs) of these nice newer sculpts, but man if i was 5 years dumber i'd definitely be spending my spare change on boxes of them.

still, i miss the collecting, and D&D mini's in my mind would be about the only ones worth collecting (maybe star wars....) so i keep up on them in a general sense.

tgva8889
2007-02-13, 09:10 PM
I want more, because they make playing D&D much cooler. I have a few cool ones (Warforged Barbarian? AWESOME), but I don't actually play the game. There's just too many sets out now for me to want to get into the game. That's why I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh: There's just too many different cards in the mainstream now. I only have enough money to maintain one gaming obsession (Magic: the Gathering is awesome).

Slaadi
2007-02-13, 10:34 PM
I have:

4 tiny

26 small

169 medium

23 large

9 huge

1 Gargantuan Black Dragon

1 medium epic

2 large epic

and at least 1 mini from each set.

Beleriphon
2007-02-14, 03:39 PM
I'm still saving up for the Colossal Red Dragon figure. Want to use in D&D game... so good...

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-15, 07:42 AM
Randomised Miniatures=Bad, in my book

Kyrsis
2007-02-15, 08:05 AM
Randomised Miniatures=Bad, in my book

I agree. The game looks like fun and I like miniature games, but the randomised packs are dumb. It's already expensive and you can't even garuntee you're getting something you can use or even want.
I guess some get into the trading with other...not for me...

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 09:26 AM
I agree. The game looks like fun and I like miniature games, but the randomised packs are dumb. It's already expensive and you can't even garuntee you're getting something you can use or even want.
I guess some get into the trading with other...not for me...

Thirded. In fact, they may be hurting their own business, as people simply go for manufacturers like Games Workshop instead which provides ample details on the contents of each box (although they tend to be expensive). For new players trying to decide which product to use and with no reason to prefer the one or the other (as might be the case with D&D players), the choice would be a pretty easy one.

Larrin
2007-02-15, 01:45 PM
Fourthed, as i mentioned, i've been there....and i've spent alot of money.

a couple of reasons why it DOESN'T hurt their business;
-Its addicting, the thrill of hoping you get something good.
-Those that are addicted more then make up for those who are put off by the uncertainty, since they buy twice as many boxes.
-People will be more willing to pay $20 for a random chance to get good things then $40 for one figure .....even if in the end it means they spend that $20 20 times....people are like this, its a psychology thing.
-Rarity! People will pay big money if they think something is rare, and try to get it. You can pay $100 for a 20 cent chunck of plastic or cardboard if its rare. If you sell them individually, no one is going to pay even $20 for one lousy inch high figure that you can pick up at any store (note how much the giagantic dragons cost....they sell for as much as you could buy a rare for, and they are fairly available)
-Its a tried and true method. Magic the gathering and every other collectible card game has shown that if you can get a following, you can make money (its getting a following thats hard, but WOTC knows how its done)

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-16, 06:41 PM
I have approximately 335 assorted minis. I started when I bought my first booster of GoL a while ago. I buy them casually, can't exactly afford to buy them by the case. I like the skirmish game, while I can't afford to compete in Constructed (not got that many game-breakingly playable pieces) I love playing in Sealed tournaments. Last time I checked I was seventh in the UK and fourteenth in Europe.

For me, it's always going to be the buzz of buying randomised boosters that keeps me buying. I just like collecting things, I probably wouldn't care otherwise. You certainly couldn't have a Limited format if it wasn't randomised.

I use the minis in D&D all the time, but I've never cared about having a plastic depiction of whatever, I have the imagination to think of the big lizard as being some big plant instead.

Only one of my D&D group actually plays D&D minis, and that's only because I got him into it. I play with guys down at my local gaming store, and for the time being I'm happy with the game. I think it works well for casual and competetive play. In the end, it doesn't cost that much to buy a few good rares, as opposed to a good Magic deck that is usually jammed full of them and would cost a few hundred dollars to construct, even buying individually...

Castaras
2007-02-18, 10:27 AM
D&D Mini's 200 point warband I make which owns:

Thaskor
Pit Fiend
Any other 9 point LE creature

Thaskor is an awesome brick. And with the pit fiend backing it gets even better.

I also have a soft spot for my Champion of Yondalla and Bronze Dragon(Both LG), and for my Ghaele Eladrin(CG).

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-18, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't you get completely outactivated with just the three activations?

The two warbands that i like at the moment, but haven't been able to playtest yet are:

CG, 2 Xeph Warriors, Shadowdancer, Gnome Trickster, Bralani Eladrin, Air Genasi, Inspiring Marshal. Everything there's playable, so it should work well, but still a bit techy for me.

LG, Warforged Scout, Lantern Bearer, Dragonmark Heir, Dwarf Artificer, Eberk, Harmonium, 2 Maugs. I like playing LG atm, and I think that Maugs are great value. So I just built a warband to boost them up to hit things hard and with silly ACs it can work well.

I quite like the Thaskor, nice breath weapon, and I'd consider trying it out with some Dragonmarks to see how it does.

Vix
2007-02-18, 03:56 PM
This game looks fun But I wouldn't have anyone to play with so I stick to Warhammer so at least I can paint them before putting them away rarely to be seen again.

I did buy one booster pack though and got a sweet Dracolich :D

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-23, 08:01 PM
Anyone looking forward to Unhallowed and its' impending pre-release tournaments?

Or is it just me...?

Logos7
2007-02-28, 07:26 PM
I buy them for in use with regular DND

They are nicely made and farily sturdy ( especially the newer ones) compared with some of my other options I perfer them .

Also I dislike Metal One's as being Heavy and Damage Prone from my little experiance with them.

Logos

Lorddarthpaul
2007-03-01, 11:26 AM
I mean the game that has little plastic minatures and you move them around, using spells and abilities and such. I don't have much money so I don't have every minature of any set but I do have about 200 guesstamating. I don't have anyone to play wiht thoug :(. I was wondering if anyone had any cool warband ideas or things they wanted to tlak about.

Woah,Woah. joseph why didn't you tell me you started a new thread?