PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Favourite grisgol spell selection

Blatm
2014-05-13, 04:35 AM
The Grisgol is a CR 15 construct from Monster Manual 3, p.76. One of its shticks is that it can 10 spells per day as SLAs, one of each level at CL 20 (DC 10 + 1.5*spell level). It's mindless, so it can't use the spells intelligently, but arguably it can be programmed to cast them in a certain order, or reacting to a certain simple condition. What are your favourite choices for these 10 spells?

My thoughts, feel free to ignore:

I'm planning on throwing one of these at my (optimized) level 13 party, supported by some Shadesteel golems, so that is my motivation. My objective is to wow and terrify them and maybe kill one of them, but not to be evil. In view of this, I was thinking:

9: Maw of Chaos
8: Greater Arcane Fusion
7: Forcecage
6: Disintegrate
5: Overland Flight
4: Solid Fog
3: Anticipate Teleportation
2: Mirror Image
1: Mage Armor
0: Light

And the plan would be:
Buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Anticipate Teleportation
Round 1: Maw of Chaos
Golems get into melee (immune to Maw because of SR)
Round 2: Greater Arcane Fusion (Forcecage, Solid Fog)
Round 3: Mirror Image
Round 4+: Melee
If the Grisgol senses that creatures are teleporting to a place not in the Forcecage: Disintegrate the part of the Forcecage nearest to the golems.
If the golems are dead and an enemy is not in the Forcecage: Disintegrate that enemy.
If the lights go out: Cast Light after having cast everything else.

I'm worried that this is a bit too brutal, but I have trouble finding a 9th level spell which is worse than this without being pointless (e.g. Meteor Swarm). I'm also not so happy about Disintegrate as a choice. I had a hard time finding a better level 6 spell, besides Greater Dispel Magic, which might be too strong at CL 20, but maybe not.

Blatm
2014-05-14, 12:52 AM
Even if you've never run a grisgol I think it is reasonable to try and come up with some ideas. Essentially, ten spells are thrown into an encounter. What are some interesting choices? Maybe this chatter will encourage grisgol use as well, since it seems like a great monster.