PDA

View Full Version : Literacy?

GutterFace
2014-05-13, 07:12 AM
So just a simple question i hope someone can clear up for me because i can't find anything legit on it...

one of our party wants to take barbarian 1 into Wizard X (don't ask)

since Barbarians start off illiterate and well Wizards do not, as soon as he multiclasses he automatically becomes literate? or would he still have to spend the 2 skill points to become literate?

torrasque666
2014-05-13, 07:21 AM
As soon as the barb becomes a wizard he becomes literate. Doesn't make much sense from an roleplay perspective but hey, thats how Wizards decided it'd work.

nedz
2014-05-13, 07:21 AM
Class:Barbarian:Illiteracy

Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.

A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.

So there you go.

Time Blossom
2014-05-13, 07:39 AM
Doesn't make much sense from an roleplay perspective but hey, thats how Wizards decided it'd work.That's a basic problem with multiclassing in general, really. Makes about as much sense as suddenly learning how to use every non-exotic weapon, shield type and suit of armor by taking a level in fighter.

I tend to assume that a character spends off-screen time preparing for an entry into a new class. Experience is a gradient kind of thing. A character doesn't suddenly decide that they want to become a wizard after killing that one group of kobolds; they've been considering the change for a while, and have been practicing cantrips (and/or learning to read) and the like during that ambiguously defined campfire time.

Gotta figure there's enough classes that spend an hour every day preparing spells or praying or whatever, might as well be using that time to train.

KillianHawkeye
2014-05-13, 08:08 AM
Whether or not you roleplay your multiclassing is up to each individual. The rules clearly state that multiclassing circumvents the Barbarian's illiteracy.

GutterFace
2014-05-13, 08:35 AM
OK, thank you everyone.

just making sure that's how it worked and they didnt have to spend the points for literacy or some other shenanigans.

nedz
2014-05-13, 08:35 AM
That's a basic problem with multiclassing in general, really. Makes about as much sense as suddenly learning how to use every non-exotic weapon, shield type and suit of armor by taking a level in fighter.

I tend to assume that a character spends off-screen time preparing for an entry into a new class. Experience is a gradient kind of thing. A character doesn't suddenly decide that they want to become a wizard after killing that one group of kobolds; they've been considering the change for a while, and have been practicing cantrips (and/or learning to read) and the like during that ambiguously defined campfire time.

Gotta figure there's enough classes that spend an hour every day preparing spells or praying or whatever, might as well be using that time to train.

Well you could assume that they spent a lot of time training for several classes before starting play; though that doesn't really work with the Barbarian Wizard. It would not be unreasonable for the Barbarian to spend 2 skill points to acquire literacy from the outset though.