PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dex to dmg with thrown weapons

Svm420
2014-05-13, 12:12 PM
Hello all,

My gf is running a soulbolt (www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/soulbolt) in our next campaign. Her str is dumped and her dex is high so I wanted a way for her to add dex to dmg with the shortest range form. I would prefer to stick to Pathfinder but if it's not possible then please post any other way within 3.P.

Thanks

Feint's End
2014-05-13, 01:09 PM
Hello all,

My gf is running a soulbolt (www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/soulbolt) in our next campaign. Her str is dumped and her dex is high so I wanted a way for her to add dex to dmg with the shortest range form. I would prefer to stick to Pathfinder but if it's not possible then please post any other way within 3.P.

Thanks

I fear you are out of luck. Aside from Gunslinger there is basically no way to add dex to ranged damage and you won't find something in 3.5 neither. If you rule it as a "melee" attack on ranged you might allow using the feat from Path of War allowing you to add damage to weapons usable by finesse. This is a houserule though because it is still a ranged attack with the special property that you may add strength bonus to the damageroll. Also it is not a thrown weapon so even if you'd find a way to add dex to damage with thrown weapons it wouldn't apply to this form.

Generally though I don't quite see the point. Soulbolts work more than fine the way they are and when adding Soulbow (something really every soulbolt should do because you just gain benefits) you get wis to damage which is easily your second highest stat. Also use Gifted Blade because it's better.
Assuming starting wisdom of 15 you'll get to 26 by level 20 which is about 6-8 points lower than your dex will be. Therefor you will lack about 3-4 damage per attack which isn't all too much considering we are talking about more than 200 damage per round.

Furthermore if you are using Soulbow (again that should be mandatory) and use a Crystalline Focus Bow (also something you want to do) you won't have two hands free to use the two handed form anyways.

Lateral
2014-05-13, 03:25 PM
Dead Eye. Dragon Compendium, pg. 106. (The errata changes the BAB requirement from +14 to +1.) DEX to ranged damage within 30 ft.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-13, 03:30 PM
3.5 Dragon Magazine had the Targeteer Fighter variant which can use Vital Aim instead of gaining a bonus feat. As long as the don't have a Str penalty or the target is immune to critical hits, they may use Dex instead or Str.

Sayt
2014-05-13, 07:42 PM
Dreamscarred Press' Deadly Agility feat adds dex to damage with light/finess weapons instead of strength, and doesn't specify that it has to be melee, so you can get dex to damage with light thrown weapons.

I think.

I could be missing something.

SirWolf312
2014-05-21, 02:49 AM
Deadly Aim is a feat that lets you take a minus to your attack roll for a bonus to damage.

Jigawatts
2014-05-21, 03:09 AM
Svm420, are you guys using the Soulbolt archetype from the Ultimate Psionics (http://paizo.com/products/btpy91t5?Ultimate-Psionics) sourcebook, or just pulling straight off the d20pfsrd? I ask because there is a feat that does almost exactly what you are asking for (albeit slightly conditional) on page 97 of that book.

Deadly Throw
Prereqs: Dex 15, Point-Blank Shot, base attack bonus +3
Benefit: As long as you maintain psionic focus, you may add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls made with thrown weapons instead of using your Strength modifier. You must be within 30 ft of the target to gain this benefit.

Hope that helps. :smallwink:

Yanisa
2014-05-21, 03:51 AM
Svm420, are you guys using the Soulbolt archetype from the Ultimate Psionics (http://paizo.com/products/btpy91t5?Ultimate-Psionics) sourcebook, or just pulling straight off the d20pfsrd? I ask because there is a feat that does almost exactly what you are asking for (albeit slightly conditional) on page 97 of that book.

Deadly Throw
Prereqs: Dex 15, Point-Blank Shot, base attack bonus +3
Benefit: As long as you maintain psionic focus, you may add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls made with thrown weapons instead of using your Strength modifier. You must be within 30 ft of the target to gain this benefit.

Hope that helps. :smallwink:

And like content based on the OGL/d20 system or w/e the correct name is, it is on d20pfsrd: Deadly Throw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/deadly-throw-psionic). :smallwink:

Svm420
2014-05-21, 08:22 AM
Deadly throw fits perfectly! Thanks everyone for the help with the search. I can't believe I never saw the feat earlier :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2014-05-21, 11:22 AM
Another possibility is to enchant throwing weapons you can finesse, like daggers, with the Agile property.
At least I think that'd work.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-21, 04:41 PM
Another possibility is to enchant throwing weapons you can finesse, like daggers, with the Agile property.
At least I think that'd work.

Probably.

The other alternative would be to skip dex-based in favor of wis-based with the amazing Focused Offense blade skill, which single-handedly replaces str with wisdom on attack *and* damage (just have to maintain psionic focus), and works incredibly well w/ Gifted Blade.

But yeah, Deadly Throw works for what the OP wants.

Feint's End
2014-05-21, 05:33 PM
Probably.

The other alternative would be to skip dex-based in favor of wis-based with the amazing Focused Offense blade skill, which single-handedly replaces str with wisdom on attack *and* damage (just have to maintain psionic focus), and works incredibly well w/ Gifted Blade.

But yeah, Deadly Throw works for what the OP wants.

Deadly throw doesn't work because the short range mind bolt is not a thrown weapon.

Focused offense would work by raw but I'm not sure it is intended seeing that soulbow adds your wis to damage already.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-21, 06:33 PM
Deadly throw doesn't work because the short range mind bolt is not a thrown weapon.

Focused offense would work by raw but I'm not sure it is intended seeing that soulbow adds your wis to damage already.

a) They do a pretty good job delineating which blade skills don't apply to soul bolt. FO isn't one of them.
b) Because it provides less benefit than for a normal soulknife, it's off-limits? What kind of logic is that?!