PDA

View Full Version : Weapon fusion spell creation help

Bigmchuge
2014-05-13, 01:51 PM
I haven't been able to find any spell creation guides for 3.5, but I came across a home brewed spell that's exactly what I want. The way the spell's written seems overpowered to me. The goal is to fuse two 1-handed weapons into 1 two-handed weapon while maintaining the qualities of both (or at least some).

The spell I found was posted by Prim32 on minmaxboards:

Fuse Weapons
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Duskblade 1, Hexblade 1, Pal 1, Ranger 1
Components: S, F
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch
Target: 2 weapons touched
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Two weapons that you wield combine into one. This new weapon is two-handed, deals base damage equal to the combined base damage of both weapons (of both weapons' damage types), gains the special properties of both weapons (ability to trip, etc.), and the critical threat range/multiplier of one weapon chosen at casting time. It gains the enchantments of both weapons, which overlap (eg. a +2 flaming weapon and a +1 speed weapon would create a +2 flaming speed weapon).

If one of the component weapons could be used to make ranged attacks, the range increment of the combined weapon is the average of its components' (treat melee weapons as having a range increment of 0ft). The combined weapon cannot be used to make melee attacks unless both weapons could be used to make melee attacks.

You are proficient in the combined weapon only if you are proficient with both of its components. If the combined weapon leaves your grasp, it separates into its component weapons.

Focus Component: The weapons to be fused. You must be capable of holding each weapon with one hand.

For balancing purpose, I think it should be a full round cast time, and be a level 3 spell. Also I was thinking of making it have a % on if it succeeds and by how much: 1% full merger (breaks +10 restriction), 33% success (doesn't break +10), 33% partial success (only a portion of the enhancements merge), 32% failure (either the merge happens but no enhancements merge, or no merger at all), and 1% critical failure (bad stuff happens: weapon absorb with no benefits for 1d6 hours/days or something like that).

So what I need help with is:
1. Is there a spell creation guide for dnd 3.5? If so where can I find it?
2. Does this appear balanced? If not why and do you have a recommendation for fixing it?
3. Is there already a way to do this that I overlooked?

Thanks in advanced.