PDA

View Full Version : Celia's Strength score

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-02-13, 01:44 PM
Reviewing the New Year story arc got me thinking.

Celia can't fly if she's burdened. Roy probably weighs an athletic 190 pounds (6' 0" with a x6 modifier). They're both wearing their free weightless outfit of clothing during the date. For compatibility resons, she's Medium (as opposed to goblin-sized), so...

Celia has a Strength score of 23. :smalleek:

Or 20 if Roy weighs the minimum possible for a human, not unlikely with his low Constitution score.

Sothicus
2007-02-13, 01:50 PM
Or she was wearing an item to give her +4 to Str... or it was for story purposes and has no bearing on the rules (which, by the way, are D&D's short and fast rules for flying and don't realistically represent the real world.. of which Celia would have a tough time carrying a briefcase while flying let alone Roy).

Jukashi
2007-02-13, 01:50 PM
As a creature of elemental air, she could easily have some ability that makes things lighter or makes it easier for them to fly.

Especially if she's a powered-up version of her base creature.

Paramajic
2007-02-13, 02:37 PM
Or http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/giant.png just added in the appropriate circumstance bonuses for the situation.

+2 for love
+2 for romance
+x for fits plot

x = required bonus to allow strip to occur.

Circumstance bonus, a DM's best friend.

Tilian
2007-02-13, 02:41 PM
So she's less Jane the Nurse and more Rosie the Riveter?

Talk about an imposing figure in the courtroom. Kind of like She-Hulk.

gooddragon1
2007-02-13, 02:59 PM
No wonder she does so well with grapple checks...

ufo
2007-02-13, 03:01 PM
Vaarsuvius cast an enchantment on her few rounds before, in secret. It's called "Plot".

Ego Slayer
2007-02-13, 03:05 PM
Vaarsuvius cast an enchantment on her few rounds before, in secret. It's called "Plot".
I agree with ufo. It's a hand cantrip spell everyone should know.

Wrecan
2007-02-13, 03:10 PM
According to the SRD's bizarre weight charts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#heightAndWeight), Roy is 124-280 pounds! Celia's Strength need only be 20 (or as high as 26), which is still pretty potent. I'd say she borrowed a belt of giant strength +6 from someone on the Elemental Plane of Air.

chibibar
2007-02-13, 03:20 PM
personally I think she cast featherweight on roy with a kiss thus making him lightweight :)

also when you are in love, you are on cloud nine aren't you? ;)

Wiione
2007-02-13, 03:28 PM
What makes you think Roy's got a low Constitution score?

Snake-Aes
2007-02-13, 03:50 PM
There's no showing of any extra resistance from him, and he got beaten by miko quite well in the railroad.

Anyway, Celia has more than one pair of wings, shouldn't that make any difference? I don't remember anymore

DreadSpoon
2007-02-13, 04:08 PM
Realistically, Celia must weight only a few pounds herself in order to be able to fly. Granted, also speaking realistically, her wings would need to be much, much bigger (compare wingspan to body length of most insects to her insectoid wings).

The D&D rules don't have to make sense, because they're a fantasy game. And the OOTS plots don't have to follow the rules, because they're a comic.

Snake-Aes
2007-02-13, 04:22 PM
There's still a weight limit to flight, and that's what we're taking on here. exagerated or not, her wings are limited enough to put it into discussion.

chibibar
2007-02-13, 04:33 PM
The things is that when you add magic. All kinds of rules are broken :)

Professor Tanhauser
2007-02-13, 05:50 PM
I was wondering about roy's alledged low con myself.

I mean, the guy survived being poisoned by xykon's trap 17 TIMES, so I don't see that as indicitave of a low con score.

OTOH he seemed ready to barf when belkar offered him some 'chunky salsa" and if you resist barfing with your con maybe it means roy's isn't the highest.

MReav
2007-02-13, 06:13 PM
Celia, as a Sylph, has some inherent spellcasting ability. She is high enough level to lightning bolt Nale and Thog, so I assume she could have the ability to cast fly, or just levitate. So, she's not necessarily dragging Roy's butt up there all by herself.

Wyborn
2007-02-13, 06:54 PM
If Roy didn't notice that he was being lifted, chances are that at the time he weighed next to nothing, so I'm saying magic was involved.

Brickwall
2007-02-13, 07:02 PM
Celia's flight is powered by the primal elements. They don't obey the stats. The stats obey THEM.

Dausuul
2007-02-13, 07:14 PM
If Roy didn't notice that he was being lifted, chances are that at the time he weighed next to nothing, so I'm saying magic was involved.

Agreed. A simple Levitate spell would do it.

Regarding Roy's Con--the poison on the traps was Strength poison, so Roy couldn't have died from it. It did knock his Strength down to zero, however, thus paralyzing him. So he doesn't necessarily have a kick-ass Con modifier.

On the other hand, Roy's a standard "heavy tank" fighter, so his Con must be tolerably good at least.

eilandesq
2007-02-13, 07:40 PM
I was wondering about roy's alledged low con myself.

I mean, the guy survived being poisoned by xykon's trap 17 TIMES, so I don't see that as indicitave of a low con score.

OTOH he seemed ready to barf when belkar offered him some 'chunky salsa" and if you resist barfing with your con maybe it means roy's isn't the highest.

It was STR damage poison, so he wouldn't have died if he was poisoned 100 times with it--the only likely way for him to die from it is if someone threw him into a vat of it and he drowned.

A low CON (no better than, say, 12) would explain how Miko managed to dominate him so thoroughly in their previous fights, as their damage potential per round shouldn't have been all that dissimilar--Miko apparently has a high CON (given what she survived at the tower at the hands of Redcloak and the MitD), and that would have given her an edge over Roy if he didn't. Once Roy got his +5 greatsword, though, that edge would overwhelm Miko's CON advantage, particularly since in their last fight she could no longer heal herself.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-13, 07:42 PM
Celia's flight is powered by the primal elements. They don't obey the stats. The stats obey THEM.
In Soviet Russia stats obey YOU!

*ahem* Had to get that outa my system. Sorry.:smallwink:

Brickwall
2007-02-13, 07:47 PM
Eh, that's probably the least funny "soviet reversal" joke I've seen. It's not as funny when something is obeying you.

P.S. In Soviet Russia, topic gets back on YOU.

Hyrael
2007-02-13, 08:10 PM
So she's less Jane the Nurse and more Rosie the Riveter?

Talk about an imposing figure in the courtroom. Kind of like She-Hulk.
She's an outsider, partly composed of abstract concept and elemental air, as well as flesh and blood. She doesnt need bulging muscles to be strong.
She probably has a special ability that allows her to ignore encumbrance while flying.

Hyrael
2007-02-13, 08:14 PM
There's still a weight limit to flight, and that's what we're taking on here. exagerated or not, her wings are limited enough to put it into discussion.
Her wings arent big enough to lift HER, and dont get me started on aerodynamics and wing design, much less necessary musculature (she'd need a massive keelbone to anchor the flight muscles

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 09:13 PM
No wonder she does so well with grapple checks...

One word: Kinky

FujinAkari
2007-02-13, 09:20 PM
Her wings arent big enough to lift HER, and dont get me started on aerodynamics and wing design, much less necessary musculature (she'd need a massive keelbone to anchor the flight muscles

Of course they aren't. Celia, as a 2nd Edition Sylph, does NOT fly. She has the inherent levitation ability, and Levitation uses a -completely- different set of rules.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-13, 09:28 PM
But they are in 3.5 though...

Anyway, The Giant uses whatever ranks he has in Craft (Plot) to skip the 'obey the rules' checks. Or something along those lines.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 10:10 PM

Anyway, The Giant uses whatever ranks he has in Craft (Plot) to skip the 'obey the rules' checks. Or something along those lines.

His ranks in Craft(Plot) are infinite and beyond compare!

He has more power than Thor, Odin, Loki or any of the Norse Pantheon!

He has more power than the 12 Gods!

Only one creature normally has such power...

The DM!

Professor Tanhauser
2007-02-13, 11:34 PM
His ranks in Craft(Plot) are infinite and beyond compare!

He has more power than Thor, Odin, Loki or any of the Norse Pantheon!

He has more power than the 12 Gods!

Only one creature normally has such power...

The DM!

Damn dude! How many ranks did you take in "flattery" anyway? :smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2007-02-14, 12:34 AM

Xykon's Monsters were 3.0, being converted to 3.5. The good-aligned monsters which predated Xykon were 2.5

((Evidence of this is that Celia is a medium sized creature, just like the 2.5 Sylph))

Snake-Aes
2007-02-14, 07:05 AM
I KNOOOW her wings are more or less the minimum for an eagle to fly or so, but the point is that flying creatures are still usually have only 1 pair of wings, she's got 2.

Ah, whatever, I'm sick of that kind of misuderstanding.

Hyrael
2007-02-14, 09:08 AM
I KNOOOW her wings are more or less the minimum for an eagle to fly or so, but the point is that flying creatures are still usually have only 1 pair of wings, she's got 2.

Ah, whatever, I'm sick of that kind of misuderstanding.
But she has butterfly wings. those cant lift for beans. notice how you only see those on ceratures who's bodys weigh a gram or two?

Celia must be able to make herself wightless, and that includes anything she is carying. all the wings do is provide propulsion.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-02-14, 09:35 AM
For the "she doesnt fly, she only levitates" arguement....im not 100% on the rules, but if "Levitate" means going straight up, thats not it. She and Roy moved forward towards the bug zapper and then further away from it. Also, she claimed that she flew to Azure city when she arrived for the trial. She also said 'These wings arnt just for show you know". So im gonna have to go with the weightless flight ability theory, or maybe the high strength or elemental air support theories.

chibibar
2007-02-14, 11:13 AM
well... while you levitate up and down... you can use the wings to push you foward and backward :)

Josh Inno
2007-02-14, 06:24 PM
Keep in mind, some creatures with flight use the quadroped rules for what they can lift at their size. Giant eagles and glide-wings (from Eberron).

These creatures are traditionally mounts.

Whether that applies or not in this case, I'll leave up to you. ;P