PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D20 Modern Fallout Style Game

Blackhawk748
2014-05-13, 07:51 PM
In the next few weeks i will be DMing one of three games, one of them is a post apocalyptic game set in a combination of Metro 2033 and Fallout taking place around Chicago and Southern Wisconsin. Right now i guess im just looking for general assistance as i am somewhat familiar with D20 Modern. Heres my primary problems;

1. Im not sure how good Modern's radiation rules are and since its pretty important id like them to work.

2. Modern seems to have a lack of pre created "monsters" for me to use, i guess i could just use some stuff from 3.5 but id prefer to use stuff made for modern.

3. Guns. I know D20 Future has a bunch of guns, but they dont feel very Fallout-ish.

Thats all i got right now, but as always ill prbly think of more. Thanks in advance.

Beleriphon
2014-05-13, 08:17 PM
In the next few weeks i will be DMing one of three games, one of them is a post apocalyptic game set in a combination of Metro 2033 and Fallout taking place around Chicago and Southern Wisconsin. Right now i guess im just looking for general assistance as i am somewhat familiar with D20 Modern. Heres my primary problems;

1. Im not sure how good Modern's radiation rules are and since its pretty important id like them to work.

They aren't horrible, but they tend to work more like Fallout then actual radiation. That's probably going to be okay for you given the description you've provided

2. Modern seems to have a lack of pre created "monsters" for me to use, i guess i could just use some stuff from 3.5 but id prefer to use stuff made for modern.

There's a whole book of them, trust me on this you wont be lacking monsters if you take a look at them. I know Urban Aracana has a radioactive golem thingy. Its like CR20 though. You can use 3.0 D&D monster nearly unmodified without much trouble. Most of them work really well actually. If I recall correctly Monte Cooke ran a bunch of D20 Modern characters through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil unmodified and it worked fine.

3. Guns. I know D20 Future has a bunch of guns, but they dont feel very Fallout-ish.

Thats all i got right now, but as always ill prbly think of more. Thanks in advance.

They aren't in D20 Future for the most part. Weapons Locker isn't bad but the guns are a bit generic. In general for D20 Modern the important part is which die the gun uses rather than anything else about it. If you want to make things more interesting my suggestion is thus if a gun increases the effective range give it penalties to fire a point blank ranges (which most fights take place at) due to being long and unweildy at short ranges. Or give a gun a lower damage die but increase its effective range, or a bonus to fire at point blank range.

arcane_asp
2014-05-16, 06:31 AM
Is there an actual tabletop RPG set in the Fallout universe? Seems like something that should have been...

Rhynn
2014-05-16, 06:55 AM
Is there an actual tabletop RPG set in the Fallout universe? Seems like something that should have been...

None officially published, but if you Google, say, fallout tabletop rpg you'll get several relevant hits.

And before someone chimes in with it again, no, no version of Fallout uses anything resembling GURPS mechanics, because the deal to do that fell through. A look into the corebook of any edition of GURPS would tell you this, people. :smallfurious:

Blackhawk748
2014-05-16, 08:46 AM
I took a look at their radiation rules, not terrible, but i think i might just modify the 3.0 Taint rules instead. And boy you werent kidding about monsters, between the menace manual and the 3.0 Monster Manual i am set.

JustPlayItLoud
2014-05-17, 01:03 AM
There's also a d20 system game called Exodus you might want to look out for. It was spawned originally as a d20 Fallout game but the licensing fell through. All the Fallout-y things are stripped from it, but a lot of the technical stuff is still there. Might be some good bits to take. I seem to no longer have a pdf of the Survivor's Guide (core rulebook) but I don't remember it being especially terrible or anything.

If you're not set on d20 there's also a system called Retrocalypse that's set in the Fallout world. It's kind of funky and different from what I remember but it has a lot of Fallout feel. Another plus is the core rules are less than 30 pages if I remember correctly.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-18, 02:36 PM
I've just started poking through Exodus, thought it was a completely different system, and i think im gonna use that. Its still close enough to D20 Modern that i can use all the stuff from there. Are there any other books for Exodus? Im curious if they have a setting for the midwest.

Edit: There shouldnt be any problems with allowing other races from Urban Arcana should there?

JustPlayItLoud
2014-05-19, 01:39 AM
I've just started poking through Exodus, thought it was a completely different system, and i think im gonna use that. Its still close enough to D20 Modern that i can use all the stuff from there. Are there any other books for Exodus? Im curious if they have a setting for the midwest.

Edit: There shouldnt be any problems with allowing other races from Urban Arcana should there?
There are a lot of premade adventures available. The other books available are a Texas expansion, a southwest expansion (not sure how redundant those two are), and a bestiary. They're all part of a bundle on Drive Thru RPG. They might be on the company website, but the Glutton Creeper Games website is terrible and half the links don't work.

Don't see any reason why d20 Modern stuff wouldn't work. The systems are pretty close. Shouldn't be any harder than going from 3.0 to 3.5 or from 3.5 to Pathfinder. Likely just some minor tweaking.

Brookshw
2014-05-19, 06:16 AM
There are a lot of premade adventures available. The other books available are a Texas expansion, a southwest expansion (not sure how redundant those two are), and a bestiary. They're all part of a bundle on Drive Thru RPG. They might be on the company website, but the Glutton Creeper Games website is terrible and half the links don't work.

Don't see any reason why d20 Modern stuff wouldn't work. The systems are pretty close. Shouldn't be any harder than going from 3.0 to 3.5 or from 3.5 to Pathfinder. Likely just some minor tweaking.

Last I checked it seemed like GCG was out of business but Exodus is a prime fallout d20 game. I don't know if you can still get your hands on a physical copy but the pdfs are available. Some organizations were weekly refluffed but are recognizable. Ran it for a while, was pretty fun. GCG used to have some free sample adventures. Bestiary looked a bit week, I'd pull from modern's adversaries book along with cherry picking from d&d's MMs. There was a community pen and paper fallout game at one point but it used a different mechanics chassis.

Kalmageddon
2014-05-19, 07:25 AM
Hey, it just so happens I'm running (and I've been running for 3 years now) a Fallout d20 campaing for which I've converted basically all the weapons found in the Fallout games to d20 Modern rules. I'm fairly satisfied with the result, if you want I could send them to you.

DigoDragon
2014-05-19, 08:24 AM
And before someone chimes in with it again, no, no version of Fallout uses anything resembling GURPS mechanics, because the deal to do that fell through. A look into the corebook of any edition of GURPS would tell you this, people. :smallfurious:

Though GURPS is easy enough to use for building your own version. I did a short post-apocalypse adventure in GURPS and it worked quite well. Wasn't Fallout styled, but most of the style is easily emulated with fluff. :smallwink:

ghendrickson
2014-05-19, 08:45 AM
Hey, it just so happens I'm running (and I've been running for 3 years now) a Fallout d20 campaing for which I've converted basically all the weapons found in the Fallout games to d20 Modern rules. I'm fairly satisfied with the result, if you want I could send them to you.

I would personally love to see those

Kalmageddon
2014-05-20, 05:00 AM
I would personally love to see those

I'll gladly share them!
If you (or anyone that is interested) give me an e-mail adress I'll give you the Excel sheet where I've written all down. Copy and paste here wouldn't do without a lot of pain and time, since I've converted a lot of weapons.

Thesneakyshadow
2015-01-09, 02:02 AM

Hey, i am running a game and would LOVE that! If you don't have them, to bad... Do you have monsters too?

Kalmageddon
2015-01-09, 07:23 AM
I've just finished my Fallout campaign and I was thinking of putting my homebrew up somewhere, so anyone interested can use it in its own campaign. I just have to find a site and the time to do it.
Right now I've converted a good 90% of both armours and weapons presented in the main fallout games (1 to 3, plus New Vegas) and a few monsters, though statting monsters is the easier part.
I've also made rules for drugs and medicines presented in the games, like Stimpacks and Jet, and a few special items, like the Stealth Boy.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-09, 06:06 PM
I've just finished my Fallout campaign and I was thinking of putting my homebrew up somewhere, so anyone interested can use it in its own campaign. I just have to find a site and the time to do it.
Right now I've converted a good 90% of both armours and weapons presented in the main fallout games (1 to 3, plus New Vegas) and a few monsters, though statting monsters is the easier part.
I've also made rules for drugs and medicines presented in the games, like Stimpacks and Jet, and a few special items, like the Stealth Boy.

Put that in the Homebrew section, i am very pleased with the guns you stated up. I didnt use all of them but the ones i did were very nice.