PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw and Weapon Finesse

heavyfuel
2014-05-13, 07:53 PM
I assume that the Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw ability can be used with the Weapon Finesse feat, if the weapon being thrown is finessable.

However, if I were to throw a thrown weapon with Thunderous Throw: Would I always, never or sometimes get the benefit from Weapon Finesse?

For example, if I threw a boomerang, a weapon that you can't use in melee without improvised weapon penalty, would I get Dex to hit, or Str to hit?

Reading both abilities and the SRD, I'd say I'd be force to use my Str, but I'd really like to be proven wrong.

Your attack bonus with a melee weapon is:
Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + size modifier

From the SRD.

Ellowryn
2014-05-13, 08:26 PM
However, if I were to throw a thrown weapon with Thunderous Throw: Would I always, never or sometimes get the benefit from Weapon Finesse?

Yes you would, because it specifically states that you use your melee attack bonus to hit, which would include substituting Dex for Str to hit via Weapon Finess

For example, if I threw a boomerang, a weapon that you can't use in melee without improvised weapon penalty, would I get Dex to hit, or Str to hit?

The question is why would you? Thrown weapons already use dex to hit, if you tries to use it as a melee weapon with the thunderous throw ability you would still get dex to hit but would suffer the -4 to hit due to improvised weapon penalty.

The point of the PrC is to take weapons like a greatsword and use it smash in peoples faces from across the room, if you want to use something that is already a throwing weapon then go Master Thrower.

heavyfuel
2014-05-13, 08:38 PM
Yes you would, because it specifically states that you use your melee attack bonus to hit, which would include substituting Dex for Str to hit via Weapon Finess

The question is why would you? Thrown weapons already use dex to hit, if you tries to use it as a melee weapon with the thunderous throw ability you would still get dex to hit but would suffer the -4 to hit due to improvised weapon penalty.

The point of the PrC is to take weapons like a greatsword and use it smash in peoples faces from across the room, if you want to use something that is already a throwing weapon then go Master Thrower.

My concern is based around the question of whether or not a throw weapon can be finessable or not.

I haven't thought about the -4 penalty for throwing it as a melee attack, so I'll have to work my way around that for sure.

While throwing a greatsword across the room may seem like the original focus of the class, getting that sweet Power Attack bonus to your weapon is more than enough for me. (Especially if you read the Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow's second sentence as something completely redundant)

Ellowryn
2014-05-14, 01:23 AM
I think i know what you are getting at. All thrown weapons use Dex to hit just like ranged weapons such as bows and crossbows. So you don't need weapon finesse in regards to attack rolls. The thunderous throw ability just lets you treat your ranged attacks as melee, applying your str modifier to hit even though it is a ranged attack plus 1.5x str modifier to damage (including power attack).