PDA

View Full Version : Different Magic System

Tormsskull
2007-02-13, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to come up with a comprehensive spellcasting system that meets some requirements. This is based on 3.5 D&D, and will follow all rules of 3.5 spellcasting except where mentioned.

Spellcasters all share some common traits, which I will define below. What I need help on is the critical thinking. Let me just list what I have so far and then I'll ramble on some more.

Ok, first the premises:
-All spellcasters draw their magic from the same source. They may use different methods to get to the source of magic, but there is only 1 source. The source is unaligned, it is unintelligent, and it has no agenda. It is simply a tool to be used in whatever way a spellcaster chooses to use it.
-All spellcasters are spontaneous spellcasters.
-Spell slots are replaced with spell points.
-Spell points are regained at a rate of 1 per spellcaster level per hour.
-Casting spells is tiring on the body. Casting spells often results in fatigue, exhaustion, and if the caster really overdoes it, death. When a caster reduces himself to 25% or less of his spell point pool he is considered fatigued. If a spellcaster reduces himself to 10% of his spell point pool he is considered exhausted. In addition, if a spellcaster ever uses 50% or more of his total spell point pool on 1 spell he must make an immediate Fortitude DC 15 + level of the spell or become exhausted. If the spellcaster is already exhausted and fails the save he dies, if he succeeds he is knocked unconscious for 2d4 hours.
-All spellcasters can use detect magic at will, this costs 0 spell points. If a spellcaster wishes to hide the presence of his spells (so another cannot detect the traces of it), it costs half again as many spell points. A hidden spell can only be detected on a concentration check of 10 + level of caster + level of spell. For example, a level 18 spellcaster casts a level 7 illusion spell and chooses to hide it. He pays 54 spell points rather than 36. If another spellcaster tries to detect it he must make a concentration check of 35.
-All spellcasters can use dispel magic at will, this costs 0 spell points unless it succeeds. On a success the dispeller pays an equal amount of spell points as the spell that was dispelled cost to create. Any semi-permanent or permanent spells in place (a Arcane Locked door for example) can only be attempted to be dispelled once by a spellcaster. On a failed roll the spellcaster must gain a character level before attempting again.
-All level 1 spellcasters start with a number of spells equal to a level 1 wizard, gaining bonus spells based on intelligence. All spellcasters gain 2 additional spells per level & can expand their repetoire by learning from other spellcasters or on scrolls.
-Divine Spellcasters DO NOT autmatically know all spells of a given level.
-All spellcasters select 2 schools of spells for which they are powerful in (they can learn & use all spells level 1-9 of these schools), 4 schools that they are average strength in (they can learn & use all spells level 1-6 in these schools) and 2 schools that they are weak in (they can learn and used all spells level 1-3 in these schools).
-Spellcasting relies on all three mental attributes, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Intelligence determines how many spells of a given level a spellcaster can know & how often he can cast them, Wisdom determines how powerful those spells are/how hard they are to resist & how quickly his spell points are restored, and Charisma determines a spellcaster's ability to cast spells in schools that he is less powerful in.
Breakdown:
Intelligence grants bonus spells as normal. The spell slot level to spell point conversion is as follow:

{table=head]Spell Slot Level | Spell Points
0 | 1
1 | 3
2 | 6
3 | 10
4 | 15
5 | 21
6 | 28
7 | 36
8 | 45
9 | 54
[/table]

Wisdom: Determines save DCs as normal. For every bonus bonus point of +1 modifier to Wisdom a spellcaster has they regain 1 additional spell point per hour.
Charisma: For every +2 modifier to Charisma a spellcaster has, they increase their maximum spell level possible by 1. This maxes out at level 8 spells for average schools and level 7 spells for weak schools. For example, a spellcaster who has chosen enchantment as one of his weak schools (he can normally only cast spells levels 1-3 in this school) has an 18 Charisma. Due to the 18 Charisma the spellcaster can actually cast up to level 5 enchantment spells. But even if the spellcaster had a Charisma of 30, he could not cast level 8 enchantment spells do to the maximum restriction. See the table below:

{table=head]Charisma Score | Adjustment | Max Level Spell (Average) | Max Level Spell (Weak)
10-11 | - | 6 | 3
12-13 | +1 | 6 | 3
14-15 | +2 | 7 | 4
16-17 | +3 | 7 | 4
18-19 | +4 | 8 | 5
20-21 | +5 | 8 | 5
22-23 | +6 | 8 | 6
24-25 | +7 | 8 | 6
26-27 | +8 | 8 | 7
28-29 | +9 | 8 | 7
30-31 | +10 | 8 | 7
[/table]

-Many spells have their durations drastically reduced. Spells such as fly, invisibility, and windwall are the first that jump to mind. No spell should last so long that a typical wizard can be considered to ALWAYS have it active.

What I think this does:
First, it powers down spellcasters a bit. By forcing wizards to spread their attribute points over more stats it will weaken them. By forcing clerics/druids to spread their attribute points over more stats it will weaken them & in addition by not giving them the entire spell list it will weaken them further. By forcing all spellcasters to have Powerful/Average/Weak schools it powers them all down further.

By making all spellcasters spontaneous casters it grants more flexibility to them & powers them up a bit (Hey, I've taken a lot away from them). By also granting them detect magic & dispel magic it will allow them to handle magical dangers that come their parties' way.

Stuff I'm planning on adding:

New Feats that:
-Reduce the cost to hide a spell.
-Increases spell point regeneration.
-Increase total spell point pool.
(and more)

New Spells that:
-Allow a spellcaster to drain spell points from another caster.
-Allow a spellcaster to connect to another caster thus providing a shared spell point pool.
(and more)

New Items that:
-Reduce the spell point cost of a spell.
-Allow a spellcaster to safely cast spells 1 level higher than they normally could.
-expands a spellcaster's "spells known" lsit by certain specific spells ONLY when the spellcaster is holding onto the item.

Ok, so far any suggestions/comments/questions?

Arceliar
2007-02-13, 02:57 PM
In regard to the spell points: It seems that high level spells cost too much. The psionics system seemed to have a much more logical progression, but maybe that's just me.

Black Mage
2007-02-13, 03:10 PM
I like it...but I have a couple questions.

What is the spell point progression for the classes? And what about the Universal spells? Are all spellcasters considered strong, average, or weak with these spells?

Tormsskull
2007-02-13, 03:40 PM
In regard to the spell points: It seems that high level spells cost too much. The psionics system seemed to have a much more logical progression, but maybe that's just me.

I had thought about that, but look at it this way. In standard 3.5 D&D a wizard cannot choose to "trade in" an 8th level spell slot a 2nd level spell slot, and a 1st level spell slot to get an extra 9th level spell slot. Since all of this will revolve around spell points, a spellcaster under this system could. If you lowered the high-end spell points I think you would fall into the trap of psionics "going nova".

I like it...but I have a couple questions.

What is the spell point progression for the classes? And what about the Universal spells? Are all spellcasters considered strong, average, or weak with these spells?

Spell point progression is exactly standard. So a first level wizard normally starts with 3 0-th level and 1-1st level spell I think? So A level 1 wizard would start with 6 spell points. Assuming they have the minimal intelligence to gain a bonus 1st level spell that would net them an additional 3 spell points. I would go so far to say that your typical PC 1st level wizard will have 9 spell points.

I would say Universal spells are considered strong for everyone.