PDA

View Full Version : Need help assessing monster CRs

Kafana
2014-05-14, 05:45 AM
Could someone who has enough experience in DnD (especially DMs, since CR evaluation is needed) take a look at this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/39468877/Silent-Hill-d20 , the monster section in particular, and tell me if the monsters fit their challenge rating as far as the D&D 3.5 system goes?

I know Call of Cuthulu is also d20, but I'm not sure how this maps to 3.5, and if the monsters are underpowered?

BWR
2014-05-14, 07:01 AM
Only a quick skim through, so these are only first impressions.
Anything with a CR of 8 or higher is generally underpowered. Exactly how much is up for debate, but all, especially the CR 15+, were generally underwhelming compared to baseline D&D monsters of those CRs.
Anything with a CR of 1 is generally overpowered (bump up to 2, imo)
Lots of math and/or typographical errors just about everywhere. Creatures with lots of HD and a Con of 20 and a Fort save of +1, for instance. 20 HD Outsider with 30+ Strength and an attack bonus of +11.

Cloud
2014-05-14, 07:11 AM
On comparing 3.5 to Call of Cthulhu, they're just...both completely different, really. In D&D you're great heroes that kill the horrible monsters in the darkness.

In Call of Cthulhu you're basically just a normal dude, that goes insane, and then dies, that in a cosmic scale is not even a speck of sand, the specks of sand in the cosmos powerful enough to kill you.

Looking that monsters in that file...no, they don't fit 3.5 CR at all, really. But again the document wasn't really made for D&D, so *shrugs*. Particularly lots of the high CR monsters are underwhelming...but because in D&D 3.5 you have access to flying, or you know, magic, in general.

...And reading it more, some are just really, really off. Like a CR 4 with a fort save or die (the Schism). With you know, an average DC of 25. It does need to make a grapple check first, but still, what.

Kafana
2014-05-14, 08:58 AM
Damn it. My search continues. Anybody know any good thread that made the Silent Hill monsters (at least some of them) into D&D monsters (meaning: gave them stats)?

If all else fails I'll see about using creatures that fit the bill, but simply altering their physical appearance.