PDA

View Full Version : Druid spells to persist

Dugong
2014-05-14, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting persist spell for my lvl 9 druid (as either a lvl 12 feat if dragon wildshape is banned, 9 otherwise). But I'm thinking what 1st and 2nd level druid spells are worth persisting?

All I can think of so far is lessor vigor, assuming the DM will allow it as its range is touch which is technicly not a fixed range (I think).

Chronos
2014-05-14, 08:05 AM
How are you using Persist? If you're just applying it directly, you can't use it at all until you get to level 11, and then only for cantrips (or first-level spells at 13th, second at 15th, etc.). Even if you got the feat for free, there are very few spells which are worth a spell slot 6 levels higher, and none at all that are worth the higher spell slot plus the feat. Persist is amazing if you can apply it without the slot increase (such as by using divine metamagic or Incantatrix), but worthless otherwise.

Psyren
2014-05-14, 08:31 AM
First, find out if your DM allows persisting touch-range spells as that tends to be a thorny issue around here.

If yes: Freedom of Movement, Stoneskin, Resist Energy/Protection from Energy, True Seeing and Death Ward are great buffs to have up at all times.

Speak with Plants and Stone Tell can really wreck the DM's plot. Tree Stride can work well depending on the campaign but you're usually fine just extending that one or using it normally.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-14, 08:38 AM
You cannot persist any of the Vigor line except the Mass versions, so the 3rd level Mass Lesser Vigor is the lowest level one you can use with that, but you can put it on your whole party.

Elation in BoED can be persisted, it's a sanctified spell so anyone who's good-aligned and prepares spells can prepare and cast it as though they know it, and you can put it on your whole party and even your animal companion.

Persistent Spell is only really good with low-level arcane spells (Wraithstrike, Shield) or with alternate cost methods such as Divine Metamagic. You could consider dipping a level of Cloistered Cleric to pick up Divine Metamagic, and then use Persistent Spell with Bite of the Werebear, Stormrage, etc.

eggynack
2014-05-14, 08:44 AM
Persistent Spell is only really good with low-level arcane spells (Wraithstrike, Shield) or with alternate cost methods such as Divine Metamagic. You could consider dipping a level of Cloistered Cleric to pick up Divine Metamagic, and then use Persistent Spell with Bite of the Werebear, Stormrage, etc.
Sacred exorcist is a better way to pick up turn undead, as it doesn't lose a caster level. Still a pretty costly maneuver, however, seeming to require about two feats for entry, in addition to the three feats for DMM persist. I'm inclined to think that it's just not worth the effort, given that so many of a druid's best buffs are already long duration.

Fouredged Sword
2014-05-14, 10:06 AM
I really like bite of the wererat as a persistable druid spell. Range personal and +6 dex, +2 con, +3 natural armor, and a bite attack. It really helps out with the AC of your wildshapes and grants a bite attack that works really well with forms that don't have one. Great for fighting undead, as a bite deals all three forms of standard damage, so it bypasses the DR of skeletons and zombies at the same time.

Get metamagic shcool focus and you can JUST sneak in bite of the werebear for a juicy +16 strength, +2 dex, +8 con, +7 natural armor, 2claws, a bite, and power attack all day.