PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class 3.5 Level Adjustment Class PEACH

Xet
2014-05-14, 07:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been batting this idea around my head for months now and need some input on it.

The concept is a culmination of a few suggestions I have read whilst looking to deal with LA without effecting the base monster itself. We know LA is broken and several homebrew suggestions already exist so this will just be my take on the concept. I am away from my books atm so please be aware some of the wording maybe off. There are also some suggested feats at the end of the class to make monsters more playable. Depending on the optimization of the campaign you could always add the feats as bonus abilities granted by the class (I play low to mid).

I understand that the class is clunky to read so would happily accept input to make it plainer.

So in a nutshell what this class is:

A method of using LA as written without changing the base monster.
Allows monsters to progress with their level adjustment
Eliminates death due to lack of literal HD

What this Class is not:

A fix for the inherent overpricing of LA (you're on your own for that one)
A permanent fix for casters (but please see feat section)
A fix for the fact RHD/LA usually fails to replace class features

So w/o further a-do:

Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere)

Requirements

The character must have a level adjustment be it from a template or a monster class.

Class Skills

Alignment: (any)

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere).

Please refer to the followinjg table to extrapolate base HD, BAB, Saves and Skill Points per Level.

LA Hit Points Base Attack Bonus Saving Throw Skills
1-2 d4 Poor All Poor 2+Int
3-4 d6 Poor One Good 4+Int
5-6 d8 Average One Good 4+Int
7+ d8 Good Two Good 6+Int

Note: Templates that would adjust all hit dice such as Undead still follow above table for their level adjustment class.

Skills As Racial Hit Dice, or as per Base Clsass if Template.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

This class provides no additional Armour or Weapon proficiency.

Transparency This class level sits on top of any level that does not grant a HD due to level adjustment. A monster can only gain the benefits of leveling up once in any given monster class or template. Example: A Ghost would not count half her HD twice from the base creature to determine Save DC's but would gain its incorporeal form as that ability is only stated once.

Empowerment Levels in the Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class count towards any mechanical formula that uses the base monsters HD to calculate the saving throw for a special ability i.e. A Medusas gaze attack.

Inner Will Levels in the Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class provide a +1 caster level to any SLA or SU ability the monster possesses. If after taking all levels in the Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class your CL is still behind the Base monster simply advance it's CL to match the figure presented in the monsters base stat block. The CL provided by this ability can never exceed the Sum of your racial HD and levels provided by this class unless as noted above. Templates add as normal but the Monster uses the figure provided in its stat block or provided by this class which ever is most beneficial. i.e The Domination ability of the Vampire is CL 12 once all levels in this class were taken the CL would be 20 at Class 12/Level Adjustment (Vampire) 8. A Ftr5/Vampire1 would still have a Base CL of 12 though.

Prodigy All levels in this class function as the the Archmage Spell Power ability if the monster innately casts as spell casting class i.e. a Rakshasa casts spells as a 7th level sorcerer but with a caster level of 14 once its Level Adjustment (Rakshasa) is complete.

Special This class counts as a prestige class in regards to calculating XP from multiple classes. If UA Level Adj. Buyoff is used every time a Level adjustment is bought off simply reduce all benefits of this class by 1 level.

Feats

Greater Empowerment

Prereq. Must have taken all levels in your Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class.

Benefit: You may use the sum of all HD gained from all classes/RHD for any abilities that use your HD in a mathematical equation to find the DC just like a template class would do. Example: The DC to resist the gaze attack of a Medusa6/LA(Medusa)4/Class10 would be 20+Cha Mod (10 + 10 from 1/2 HD + Cha Mod)

Greater Inner Will

Prereq. Must have taken all levels in your Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class.

Benefit: The CL for all SLA or SU abilities the base monster possesses increases by 1 for every class level taken after your Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) is complete.

Greater Prodigy

Benefit: Select one spell casting class you have taken levels in after completing your Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class. All Racial HD and HD gained by the Level Adjustment (insertmonsterhere) class stack to determine the caster level of that spell casting class. This feat does not provide any other benefits of taking levels in that class i.e. Spells Known, Animal companion abilities.

Special. This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken it applies to a different spell casting class. If your base monster already was able to cast as a spell caster before taking this feat the effects overlap Example: A trumpet Archon/Wizard 5 would cast spells as a 25th level Wizard but with the spells per day of a 5th level wizard. Its Caster Level for its clerical spealls would stay at 20.
A trumpet Archon/Wizard5/Cleric2 could choose either to cast spells as a 27th wizard with the spells per day etc of a 5th level wizard or as a 27th level Cleric with the spells per day of a 16th level Cleric but the abilities of a 2nd level cleric (eg. turn undead). The example Character could do both by taking this feat twice.

Edit - Added Transparency to try and mesh templates and levels that grant benefits in monster classes.

Edit 2 - Fixed editing error. Posted twice for some reason.

Credit to Leziad as some of his ideas I have used in this post.

Xet
2014-05-14, 02:39 PM
Any thoughts? I'll try and clean it up more when not on my phone.

AuraTwilight
2014-05-14, 03:09 PM
Looks pretty good. I've seen a similar idea here: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Level_Adjustment_Dice_%283.5e_Variant_Rule%29

Do you think any of this is usable to improve yours?

Xet
2014-05-14, 03:23 PM
I have never seen that before ty for the link. Once I have learnt to make tables I will use the idea on the page of using better HD/saves etc depending on total la. I will keep the rest as is though.

Thanks for the feedback

Xet
2014-05-14, 04:50 PM
Tried making a table but the post isn't showing it, unless it's my computer not supporting HTML! I'll post information when I can get it working,,,

Edit: Changed First table header to a { so it'll show at least.

Xet
2014-05-14, 06:51 PM
Any thoughts? I am running a game tomorrow and could use the feedback. I have acid tested the updated class and it seems to put all monsters between t3-2 when built with an ideal class. Assuming a 20 level build even a ghaele appears t2. Personally I like it but im probably blinded to any flaws.

TuggyNE
2014-05-14, 07:53 PM
Tried making a table but the post isn't showing it, unless it's my computer not supporting HTML! I'll post information when I can get it working,,,

Edit: Changed First table header to a { so it'll show at least.

Updated table:
LA Hit Points Base Attack Bonus Saving Throw Skills
1-2 d4 Poor All Poor 2+Int
3-4 d6 Poor One Good 4+Int
5-6 d8 Average One Good 4+Int
7+ d8 Good Two Good 6+Int

Xet
2014-05-14, 07:59 PM
Thank you :D