PDA

View Full Version : Player Help ZacSpock Cold Bringer; First time Sorcerer.

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 09:40 AM
Hey Guys,

One of our players(the warlock) died horribly to a 10 headed terror that caught him by surprise. He's rerolling into Sorcerer and I assisted him in coming up with something that's not too complicated but has some firepower. He's starting @ level 11 and this is what we got so far;

Race: Changeling with White dragonspawn template
Class: Sorcerer
Feats(2 flaws): Empower, Maximise, Eschew materials, Weapon focus, Combat Casting, Snow casting
Prcs : Recaster (entered @ level 5 with Maximise and Empower)
War Mage (entered @ level 11)

The route he is headed is that by level 15 he would have potentially +5 damage per dice(+3 from War Mage, +2 from Cold Spell Specialization depending on temperature) while getting +2 caster levels on spells from Frozen Magic depending on temperature.
Is there any way this can be made better without straying too far from the cold theme of the char? We're open to any suggestions.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 10:05 AM
( Complete Arcane, p. 80)

[Metamagic]

Through careful study of the Elemental Planes and their interactions with the Negative Energy Plane, you have learned to wield the uttercold.

Prerequisite

Energy Substitution (CAr) (cold) , Knowledge (the planes) 9 ranks, ability to cast a spell with the cold descriptor,

Benefit

You can turn spells with the cold descriptor into uttercold spells. Half the damage dealt by an uttercold spell is cold damage, and the other half is negative energy damage. The spell's saving throw remains unchanged, but creatures can apply cold resistance or immunity to cold only to the cold portion of the damage. An undead creature can be healed by the negative energy damage of an uttercold spell, though if it doesn't have resistance to cold, the effects of damage and healing cancel each other out. An uttercold spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level. maybe?

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 10:13 AM
( Complete Arcane, p. 80)

[Metamagic]

Through careful study of the Elemental Planes and their interactions with the Negative Energy Plane, you have learned to wield the uttercold.

Prerequisite

Energy Substitution (CAr) (cold) , Knowledge (the planes) 9 ranks, ability to cast a spell with the cold descriptor,

Benefit

You can turn spells with the cold descriptor into uttercold spells. Half the damage dealt by an uttercold spell is cold damage, and the other half is negative energy damage. The spell's saving throw remains unchanged, but creatures can apply cold resistance or immunity to cold only to the cold portion of the damage. An undead creature can be healed by the negative energy damage of an uttercold spell, though if it doesn't have resistance to cold, the effects of damage and healing cancel each other out. An uttercold spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level. maybe?

Its nice, especially with no level adjustment, but the question is what do we drop for Energy Substitution to make taking feat a possibility at level 18? hmmmmm....

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 10:29 AM
gonna see if I get your feat progression right here, correct me if I'm wrong though...

Flaw - Empower
Flaw - Maximize
1 - Eschew Materials
3 - Weapon Focus
6 - Combat Casting
9 - Snow Casting
12 - Frozen Magic
15 - Cold Spell Specialization
18 - [needs Lord of the Uttercold]

ok, so, check this out...

If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it, the spell gains the cold descriptor. This does not actually change the nature of the spell you cast; a fi reball cast with this feat still dealsfiredamage, but since it also carries the cold descriptor, it can be augmented by a number of feats listed in this chapter, such as Cold Focus and Frozen Magic. If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it and that spell already has the cold descriptor, you increase the effective level of the spell being cast by +1. Adding this additional material component requires you to spend a move action immediately before the spell is cast to gather fresh snow or ice from the surrounding environment. This snow or ice can be magically created by a conjuration spell, but no other ice manifested by a spell will do. You may take no other action between gathering the snow or ice and casting the spell
Bolded for discussion
and
Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). You can then modify any spell with an energy descriptor to use the chosen type of energy instead. An energy substituted spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level. The spell's descriptor changes to the new energy type—for example, a fireball composed of cold energy is an evocation [cold] spell.
Bolded for discussion
and finally...
You can turn spells with the cold descriptor into uttercold spells. Half the damage dealt by an uttercold spell is cold damage, and the other half is negative energy damage. The spell's saving throw remains unchanged, but creatures can apply cold resistance or immunity to cold only to the cold portion of the damage. An undead creature can be healed by the negative energy damage of an uttercold spell, though if it doesn't have resistance to cold, the effects of damage and healing cancel each other out. An uttercold spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level
again, bolded for discussion

So, I don't think that it would be too far outside the realm of understandable to allow Snowcasting to stand in for Energy Substitution [Cold].

edits: basic stuff...

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 10:50 AM
gonna see if I get your feat progression right here, correct me if I'm wrong though...

Flaw - Empower
Flaw - Maximize
1 - Eschew Materials
3 - Weapon Focus
6 - Combat Casting
9 - Snow Casting
12 - Frozen Magic
18 - [needs Lord of the Uttercold]

ok, so, check this out...

If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it, the spell gains the cold descriptor. This does not actually change the nature of the spell you cast; a fi reball cast with this feat still dealsfiredamage, but since it also carries the cold descriptor, it can be augmented by a number of feats listed in this chapter, such as Cold Focus and Frozen Magic. If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it and that spell already has the cold descriptor, you increase the effective level of the spell being cast by +1. Adding this additional material component requires you to spend a move action immediately before the spell is cast to gather fresh snow or ice from the surrounding environment. This snow or ice can be magically created by a conjuration spell, but no other ice manifested by a spell will do. You may take no other action between gathering the snow or ice and casting the spell
Bolded for discussion
and
Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). You can then modify any spell with an energy descriptor to use the chosen type of energy instead. An energy substituted spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level. The spell's descriptor changes to the new energy type—for example, a fireball composed of cold energy is an evocation [cold] spell.
Bolded for discussion
and finally...
You can turn spells with the cold descriptor into uttercold spells. Half the damage dealt by an uttercold spell is cold damage, and the other half is negative energy damage. The spell's saving throw remains unchanged, but creatures can apply cold resistance or immunity to cold only to the cold portion of the damage. An undead creature can be healed by the negative energy damage of an uttercold spell, though if it doesn't have resistance to cold, the effects of damage and healing cancel each other out. An uttercold spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level
again, bolded for discussion

So, I don't think that it would be too far outside the realm of understandable to allow Snowcasting to stand in for Energy Substitution [Cold].

edits: basic stuff...

I see what you did there. We will run it past our DM to make sure he's cool with it. Much thanks WeaselGuy.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 10:57 AM
glad I could help... good to know all these hours I spend at "work" on the Playground are paying off for something!

LieblingFauk
2014-05-14, 12:31 PM
Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that the war mage edge class ability only works on spells one casts as a warmage, not those from your other classes.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 12:36 PM
Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that the war mage edge class ability only works on spells one casts as a warmage, not those from your other classes.

Warmage Edge (Ex): A warmage is specialized in dealing damage with his spells. Whenever a warmage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the amount of damage dealt. For instance, if a 1st-level warmage with 17 Intelligence casts magic missile, he deals
1d4+1 points of damage normally, plus an extra 3 points of damage due to his Intelligence bonus. The bonus from the warmage edge special ability applies only to spells that he casts as a warmage, not to those he might have by virtue of levels in another class.

You are correct in that... My question would be, is he taking the Warmage class from CArc, or the War Mage PrC from DragonLance: War of the Lance?

edit: I ask, because that PrC requires Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, and Weapon Focus...

LieblingFauk
2014-05-14, 12:42 PM
Warmage Edge (Ex): A warmage is specialized in dealing damage with his spells. Whenever a warmage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the amount of damage dealt. For instance, if a 1st-level warmage with 17 Intelligence casts magic missile, he deals
1d4+1 points of damage normally, plus an extra 3 points of damage due to his Intelligence bonus. The bonus from the warmage edge special ability applies only to spells that he casts as a warmage, not to those he might have by virtue of levels in another class.

You are correct in that... My question would be, is he taking the Warmage class from CArc, or the War Mage PrC from DragonLance: War of the Lance?

Haha, thank you for the clarification, and I was unaware of the warmage prestige class and assumed he meant the war mage from CArc

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 12:47 PM
Haha, thank you for the clarification, and I was unaware of the warmage prestige class and assumed he meant the war mage from CArc

It's actually a rather spiffy PrC, and I'm not surprised that some people don't know about it, the DragonLance campaign setting seems to be a little less played than Eberron or Forgotten Realms. With my DMs, we're pretty lucky that 1st party sourcebooks are all fair game, so long as we can fluff it to make sense. i.e., I had an Aglarondan Griffonrider, which states that to enter the PrC, you have to be from Aglaron, in the FR, but we were most definitely not in the FR in that campaign. My DM just told me that "Hey, you're an Elf, from some obscure country that isn't this one, sure, it's called Aglaron. But, the local Elves will notice you're customs and courtesies might not line up with theirs, so you may get some funny looks. And, their eagles might not get along with your griffon. Just sayin'."

Vedhin
2014-05-14, 02:16 PM
For temperature control, I recommend using Control Temperature from Frostburn, the 1st level Cleric and Druid spell Cloak of Shade from Sandstorm, and the 2nd level Sorcerer/Wizard spell Darsson's Chilling Chamber from Shining South.

The spell Cold Snap is Druid 5/Cleric 6, but gets an extra +1/die, and lowers temperature in addition.

Also, 5 levels of Stormcaster+Energy Substitution (electricity) will get you another +1/die and a chance to stun.

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 03:31 PM
I must say thanks to you guys for your input, this is rounding out really well.

Feats(2 flaws): Empower, Maximise, Eschew materials, Weapon focus, Combat Casting, Snow casting
Prcs : Recaster (entered @ level 5 with Maximise and Empower)
War Mage (entered @ level 11)

edit: I ask, because that PrC requires Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, and Weapon Focus...

Its the War Mage PrC from Age of Mortals pg 49.

For temperature control, I recommend using Control Temperature from Frostburn, the 1st level Cleric and Druid spell Cloak of Shade from Sandstorm, and the 2nd level Sorcerer/Wizard spell Darsson's Chilling Chamber from Shining South.

The spell Cold Snap is Druid 5/Cleric 6, but gets an extra +1/die, and lowers temperature in addition.

Also, 5 levels of Stormcaster+Energy Substitution (electricity) will get you another +1/die and a chance to stun.

I knew of Control temp and Darsson's Chilling Chamber, but that Cold Snap spell is just perfect for his char as +1/die will push damage to +6/die :smalleek:. Stormcaster is really nice with more damage plus a chance of stun that can be achieved with his last 5 levels(16-20), he's unfortunately LE however. No worries with extra damage however as his feats would be reshuffled to this:

Flaw - Empower
Flaw - Maximize
1 - Eschew Materials
3 - Weapon Focus
6 - Combat Casting
9 - Snow Casting
12 - Frozen Magic
12 - Energy Substation (bonus Metamagic feat from War Mage PrC)
14 - Energy Admixture (bonus Metamagic feat from War Mage PrC)
18 - UtterCold (hopefully DM approves)

This effectively doubles his die rolls on an admixtured spell and that's what we really want, more dice, since its quite possibly +6/die. :smalleek:

Do you guys have any suggestions on a PrC for the last 5 levels of progression that's he's already met the prerequisites for @ 15?

Also suggestions for damage spells with lots of dice would also be very nice, as my Google-Fu keeps failing me with this.

Vedhin
2014-05-14, 03:39 PM
Also suggestions for damage spells with lots of dice would also be very nice, as my Google-Fu keeps failing me with this.

Secrets of Sarlona, Stored Lightning Bolt. If you set it up right, it deals 2d6/level to one target and 1d6/2 levels in a 60ft radius burst.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 03:46 PM
Do you guys have any suggestions on a PrC for the last 5 levels of progression that's he's already met the prerequisites for @ 15?

Obligatory nod to Abjurant Champion...
Abjurant Champion

(Complete Mage variant, p. 50)

The abjurant champion focuses his arcane abilities both to augment his personal defense and to hinder enemy spellcasters. Perfectly suited for martial stalwarts who dabble in magic, this class offers characters the ability to improve their combat skills in ways neither soldiers nor spellcasters can.

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Feats:Combat Casting

Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell.
Special: Must be proficient with at least one martial weapon.

Hit die

d10

Skill points

2 + Int

Class Features

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an abjurant champion, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Abjurant Armor (Su): Any time you cast an abjuration spell that grants you an armor bonus or shield bonus to AC, you can increase the value of the bonus by your abjurant champion class level. Abjurant champions rely on shield and similar spells instead of actual armor.

Extended Abjuration (Su): You depend on your abjuration spells to protect you in combat. Double the duration of abjuration spells you cast, as if you had applied the Extend Spell feat to them (but without any change in level or casting time).

Swift Abjuration (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you can cast abjuration spells as a swift action, as if you had applied the Quicken Spell feat to them (but without any change in level). The maximum level of spell you can quicken in this way is equal to 1/2 your class level (rounded up).

Arcane Boost (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you gain the ability to burn arcane energy to empower your martial abilities. As a swift action, you can spend one of your uncast spells or spell slots to grant yourself one of the following insight bonuses for 1 round.
Bonus on attack rolls equal to the spell's level.
Bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to twice the spell's level.
Bonus to AC equal to the spell's level.
Bonus on saving throws equal to the spell's level.
Resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic equal to 5 × the spell's level.

Martial Arcanist (Ex): At 5th level, you master the art of combining your militant and mystical training. From this point on, your caster level in a chosen arcane spellcasting class is equal to your base attack bonus (unless it would otherwise be higher). For example, a 7th-level fighter/1st-level wizard/5th-level abjurant champion has a base attack bonus of +12 (and thus a caster level of 12th). You can apply this benefit to only one arcane class to which you have added spellcasting levels by your advancement as an abjurant champion.

Also, if you are getting Energy Substitution [Cold] from a War Mage Bonus Metamagic Feat, then you shouldn't be needing any DM ruling on Lord of the Uttercold.

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 04:00 PM
Secrets of Sarlona, Stored Lightning Bolt. If you set it up right, it deals 2d6/level to one target and 1d6/2 levels in a 60ft radius burst.

From my initial read, if the bolt is cast on the floor where the creature is standing its 2d6/level? Or is it that he's got to store the spell and somehow get the creature to the square or the square to the creature?

Obligatory nod to Abjurant Champion...
Abjurant Champion

(Complete Mage variant, p. 50)

The abjurant champion focuses his arcane abilities both to augment his personal defense and to hinder enemy spellcasters. Perfectly suited for martial stalwarts who dabble in magic, this class offers characters the ability to improve their combat skills in ways neither soldiers nor spellcasters can.

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Feats:Combat Casting

Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell.
Special: Must be proficient with at least one martial weapon.

Hit die

d10

Skill points

2 + Int

Class Features

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an abjurant champion, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Abjurant Armor (Su): Any time you cast an abjuration spell that grants you an armor bonus or shield bonus to AC, you can increase the value of the bonus by your abjurant champion class level. Abjurant champions rely on shield and similar spells instead of actual armor.

Extended Abjuration (Su): You depend on your abjuration spells to protect you in combat. Double the duration of abjuration spells you cast, as if you had applied the Extend Spell feat to them (but without any change in level or casting time).

Swift Abjuration (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you can cast abjuration spells as a swift action, as if you had applied the Quicken Spell feat to them (but without any change in level). The maximum level of spell you can quicken in this way is equal to 1/2 your class level (rounded up).

Arcane Boost (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you gain the ability to burn arcane energy to empower your martial abilities. As a swift action, you can spend one of your uncast spells or spell slots to grant yourself one of the following insight bonuses for 1 round.
Bonus on attack rolls equal to the spell's level.
Bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to twice the spell's level.
Bonus to AC equal to the spell's level.
Bonus on saving throws equal to the spell's level.
Resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic equal to 5 × the spell's level.

Martial Arcanist (Ex): At 5th level, you master the art of combining your militant and mystical training. From this point on, your caster level in a chosen arcane spellcasting class is equal to your base attack bonus (unless it would otherwise be higher). For example, a 7th-level fighter/1st-level wizard/5th-level abjurant champion has a base attack bonus of +12 (and thus a caster level of 12th). You can apply this benefit to only one arcane class to which you have added spellcasting levels by your advancement as an abjurant champion.

Also, if you are getting Energy Substitution [Cold] from a War Mage Bonus Metamagic Feat, then you shouldn't be needing any DM ruling on Lord of the Uttercold.

Oh I can take a good hint; Yes to Abjurant Champion for some much needed defensive abilities and Yes to Uttercold, I missed the obvious link there.

Thanks a lot guys, this seems to be just about complete.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-14, 04:04 PM
I've come to the realization that I tend to specialize in Gishes, with a little dabbling in Paladin and Swashbuckler stuff. Not too shabby on mounted combat and Kobolds either. With all that said, Abjurant Champion, Elven Courtblades, and Dire Weasels are kind of my thing. Now to combine them all >.>

Vedhin
2014-05-14, 04:54 PM
From my initial read, if the bolt is cast on the floor where the creature is standing its 2d6/level? Or is it that he's got to store the spell and somehow get the creature to the square or the square to the creature?

The first one. If a creature is touching the storage surface, it discharges the double damage bolt.

I've come to the realization that I tend to specialize in Gishes, with a little dabbling in Paladin and Swashbuckler stuff. Not too shabby on mounted combat and Kobolds either. With all that said, Abjurant Champion, Elven Courtblades, and Dire Weasels are kind of my thing. Now to combine them all >.>

So an Awakened Dire Weasel Abjurant Champion wielding an Elven Courtblade?

Edit: A Kobold Wizard/Paladin/Swashbuckler/Abjurant Champion, wielding an Elven Courtblade, mounted on a Dire Weasel that is both his Familiar and Special Mount via one of the methods for doing so (High One Warrior Wizard, or whatever it is.)

Deathcharge01
2014-05-14, 08:42 PM
The first one. If a creature is touching the storage surface, it discharges the double damage bolt.

Okay nice, that would work wonderfully. A possible 40d6 off a base spell? Quite easily too much damage on this build, opponents better make that reflex save...

So an Awakened Dire Weasel Abjurant Champion wielding an Elven Courtblade?

Edit: A Kobold Wizard/Paladin/Swashbuckler/Abjurant Champion, wielding an Elven Courtblade, mounted on a Dire Weasel that is both his Familiar and Special Mount via one of the methods for doing so (High One Warrior Wizard, or whatever it is.)

Point me in the direction that this abomination is coming from and I go in the other x4.