PDA

View Full Version : [PF ONLY] Ways to take damage for party members?

Rossebay
2014-05-14, 12:26 PM
Like the Knight's ability in 3.5.
Are there ways to do this? I'm trying to tank in a Pathfinder only campaign, and I currently have all the survivability I need for myself, but if the enemies don't target me, my abilities are useless.

So, any ideas?

Xerlith
2014-05-14, 12:29 PM
Not quite the same, but Life Oracle's Life Link does this. Check out the Oradin builds.
What is your current build?

Der_DWSage
2014-05-14, 01:05 PM
Don't forget the old standby of Shield Other, as well. Get a custom widget that can cast it a few times a day, and you're golden for taking half the damage of your compatriots.

Rossebay
2014-05-14, 01:29 PM
Don't forget the old standby of Shield Other, as well. Get a custom widget that can cast it a few times a day, and you're golden for taking half the damage of your compatriots.

Oooh, that's true! I completely forgot.

Kudaku
2014-05-14, 01:30 PM
Paladin's Sacrifice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paladin-s-sacrifice) lets you tank the damage from a successful attack as an immediate action. It also lets you take the effect of a failed saving throw in place of the original target.

If you're not a paladin or spellcaster the Ulfen Guard prestige class is based around bodyguard work and has some nifty features.

It might be helpful to know your general build, that way we can narrow down the suggestions a bit more.

Rossebay
2014-05-14, 01:44 PM
Sorry, yeah.

Everything can be changed, as we haven't done a session yet. This character is still in creation.
I'm a Strix Barbarian 4/Magus 1.
I've taken the Invulnerable Rager archetype, so I have DR 2/-. 55 HP.
Feats:
-Raging Vitality
-Endurance
-Diehard

Rage Powers:
-Renewed Vigor
-Guarded Life

Traits:
-Armor Expert
-Magical Knack

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 10

Feint's End
2014-05-14, 02:01 PM
Are psionics and path of war in?
If yes you are lucky ... If not I'm sad for your table. Anyways here are some nice options:

Warder has tanking mechanics and can actively prevent allies from being hurt. Also enemies receive a penalty when attacking anybody else.

Psychic warrior has the protector archetype which let's yourself swap places with allies and take blows for them. That's quite literally what you need.

The vitalist can negate the damage from attacks directed against allies but since it's a caster it's probably not what you are looking though.

Aegi make great blocker characters with size increases and special augmentations.
Also they are durable as hell.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-05-14, 02:19 PM
There aren't many "tanking" options in Pathfinder, it isn't a route the Devs wanted to go down. As a martial character I would suggest the Combat Reflexes > Bodyguard > In Harm's Way feat chain. This only really works if you know you'll be adjacent to allies during most of combat.

Rossebay
2014-05-14, 07:02 PM
There aren't many "tanking" options in Pathfinder, it isn't a route the Devs wanted to go down. As a martial character I would suggest the Combat Reflexes > Bodyguard > In Harm's Way feat chain. This only really works if you know you'll be adjacent to allies during most of combat.

Now, that's another one I never knew existed. I'm not sure that I have the feat space? I probably will, I dunno. Never played pathfinder before now.

137beth
2014-05-14, 07:06 PM
The Warder from PoW has a few abilities you might want to look at. Otherwise I'm not sure.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-14, 07:11 PM
Why Magus 1? All it gives is spell combat and some very limited casting at the cost of being a less effective Barbarian. If you want a caster dip, Wizard 1 will let you do more, but I don't really see why you would.

Kudaku
2014-05-14, 07:25 PM
The advantages the magus has over the wizard are better saves (+fort, +will), better hit die (d8 to d6), the arcane pool (+1 magical weapon, sure, why not) and medium BAB progression (if you plan to do a second dip later, like monk).

However if you pick the right school (foresight!) I think a level in wizard is still a strong contender.

That said, if you want to dip an arcane class for wand proficiency, you can do worse than the magus.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-14, 07:25 PM
Summoners can use Compel Hostility to make enemies go after their eidolons, but it's 1st level and enchantment, so it won't work too often.

Another enchantment is Unnatural Lust, which bards get at level 1. I always liked the idea of a female Dawnflower Dervish (or male, but seriously...90% of all monsters/NPCs I've ever fought with a discernible anatomy have been male, being a female PC is just more optimized here) Bard that uses the spell as a very different form of drawing aggro.

PF is pretty awful with the whole aggro thing, though. And sadly they also nerfed the hell out of martial lockdown with the new maneuver rules, the CMD thing, and splitting the feats and putting bigger requirements on them.