PDA

View Full Version : How to increase my Eidolon's to-hit

Frosty
2014-05-14, 03:11 PM
My Summoner is using a biped eidolon who will be focusing on one single huge natural attack (Slam attack. Stacking size increases and Vital Strike line of feats). What can I do to buff my eidolon's attack bonus? Eventually, with the Huge evolution, at level 20, the eidolon will have 40 Str. Add in a belt of +6 str, and we're looking at 46. Add in a few ability increases and an Enlarge Person during battle, we're probably at 50 Str.

So, 15 (BAB) + 20 (Str) + 1 (Weapon Focus) - 4 (Size) = +32 attack bonus. Not quite enough for some end-game monsters. What can I do to increase it further? The cheaper the method, the better. Amulet of mighty fists +5 is like a 100k expenditure, which is ouch.

Yanisa
2014-05-14, 03:34 PM
Instead of an Amulet of Mighty Fist, you can get a Permanent (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/permanency) Greater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-fang#TOC-Magic-Fang-Greater) Magic Fang (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-fang) for about 7500 gp + some minor service costing. There are a lot of issues with this method, the biggest is finding a level 20 druid and a strong second is it sucks when an enemy casts dispel.
Another option is taking Craft Wondrous Item and just make the Amulet... shaves 50% of the price.
Not that 100k should be an issue around level 20, when your wealth by level suggest almost a million gold pieces.

Maybe take a deep look at This build (http://elderwyrm.com/synthesistsummoner.html). It claims it has 54 strength and claims +44 attack, but I haven't looked in depth at it yet, so no clue how he reaches that number and I don't have the time now to puzzle it out.

Frosty
2014-05-14, 07:17 PM
Yeah we got a wizard in the party who can craft. I don't want to have my +5 be dispellable by the boss so no Permanencied stuff.

As for the link, it goes to a Synthesist summoner, who is an archetype I am not using. But yeah, I suppose an amulet of mighty fists isn't THAT big of an issue by level 20 if crafted...

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-14, 07:28 PM
Eidolons can pretty easily get a spare hand. Have it take the flagbearer feat and buy it a flag. Then it and all allies within 30 ft get a +1 attack and damage boost.

Frosty
2014-05-14, 08:03 PM
Does it need two hands for a Slam attack? If not, then it has more than enough limbs to carry a flag :D

Yanisa
2014-05-14, 11:44 PM
Yeah we got a wizard in the party who can craft. I don't want to have my +5 be dispellable by the boss so no Permanencied stuff.

As for the link, it goes to a Synthesist summoner, who is an archetype I am not using. But yeah, I suppose an amulet of mighty fists isn't THAT big of an issue by level 20 if crafted...

Synthesist or not, 90% of the build should be the same. I also have no clue how he reached that +44.

15 (BaB) + 22 (54 Str) +5 (Amulet) +1 (Weapon Focus) = 43. Ignoring the -4 size penalty. So there is either another +5 hidden in the build, or a +1 and he forgot size penalties. Or he miscalculated and forgot size penalties...

Also part of the 54 str is due the inherent item (+5), but I am unsure whether that works for normal eidolons or not, but I guess it does. Adding +2.5 attack and damage for 137,500 gp.... Yeah suddenly 100k for +5 attack and damage seems a lot better.

Does it need two hands for a Slam attack? If not, then it has more than enough limbs to carry a flag :D

I guess so, Slam Evolution takes op a set of limb (arms), plural and all that.

Ellowryn
2014-05-15, 12:28 AM
Also, is your eidolon going to be the only party member near it cause flanking bonuses is another +2 to hit. You can also toss something like greater invisibility on it so the enemy is FF against its attacks. Or toss status effects on the enemy to lower its defenses such as sickened, blinded, prone, etc. Also a item of quickened truestrike will give +20 to hit when you really need it several times per day.

Frosty
2014-05-15, 02:56 AM
I'm probably going to be going up against something with a ridiculous amount of Natural Armor, and low dex, so being FF won't do much. Are items that grant the effects of Greater Heroism or something?

Yeah, I might get Flanking, but I don't always want to count on that.

Yanisa
2014-05-15, 03:14 AM
Are items that grant the effects of Greater Heroism or something?

Gauntlets of the Weaponmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gauntlets-of-the-weaponmaster) Price 110,000 gp... Sorry.

You are better off buying scrolls: 1,625 gp for a single scroll.

Feint's End
2014-05-15, 05:18 AM
You won't really need any boost to hit. Let me elaborate:

Str 16 + 16 huge + 8 automatic Boni + 8 evolution + 3 level up Boni + 5 inherent + 6 item = 62

Now let's assume you have a +5 magic fang or amulet of mighty fists and you also use power attack to the full extend.
now we are looking at:
15+26+5-4(pa)-2(size)
+40 without any other buffs ... that's higher than almost every other pf class can come on its own.

If you only use a single attack you also look at a damage bonus of +51 but it's not really a very strong style of play. The claw/rend eidolon has the highest damage. If you like it just go for it though. Eidolons are good regardless.

Edit: and you can always count on having haste active so that's another +1 to hit and an additional attack.
Also i advice against using weaponfocus. It is really just a waste of a featslot.