PDA

View Full Version : IMP Alternate Forms

Grayson01
2014-05-14, 03:39 PM
What forms can an Imp have for it's two alternate forms and what book can I find them in?

Pilo
2014-05-14, 04:05 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm , Imp entry, Under the stats block.

TuggyNE
2014-05-14, 05:02 PM
The forms are all in MMI.
Each imp can assume one or two forms from the following list: Small or Medium monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar.

Unless some non-core book added to the list, that's all there is.

Grayson01
2014-05-14, 06:05 PM
Okay cool. The site I was looking at it said "Alternate Form (Su): An imp can assume other forms at will as a standard action. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself (caster level 12th), except that an imp does not regain hit points for changing form, and an individual imp can assume only one or two forms no larger than Medium. Common forms include monsterous spider, raven, rat, and boar."

The "Common forms" lead me to belive there was more.

TuggyNE
2014-05-14, 07:46 PM
Okay cool. The site I was looking at it said "Alternate Form (Su): An imp can assume other forms at will as a standard action. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself (caster level 12th), except that an imp does not regain hit points for changing form, and an individual imp can assume only one or two forms no larger than Medium. Common forms include monsterous spider, raven, rat, and boar."

The "Common forms" lead me to belive there was more.

It sounds like that site is using either a) the pre-errata text (Alternate Form and polymorph effects had a big errata pass in 2005 or so) or b) random nonsense, dandwiki style. Neither is particularly encouraging.

Karnith
2014-05-14, 07:59 PM
It sounds like that site is using either a) the pre-errata text (Alternate Form and polymorph effects had a big errata pass in 2005 or so) or b) random nonsense, dandwiki style. Neither is particularly encouraging.
It's the former; the "common forms include... " text matches that of the Imp entry in my old Monster Manual.

(Also, I believe that the big/gest Polymorph errata was an early 2006 thing (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a))

TuggyNE
2014-05-14, 09:09 PM
(Also, I believe that the big/gest Polymorph errata was an early 2006 thing (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a))

My memory of dates is super-bad, so I'm almost surprised I got as close as that. :smallwink:

Grayson01
2014-05-14, 09:58 PM
Yeah the Site is DnDtools.eu I am very limited on what I can look at while at work a lot of sites are blocked.

John Longarrow
2014-05-15, 08:17 AM
Pre-errata you could choose a lot of cool forms for an imp that worked really well.
As DM, I tend to stick with this because its soooooo much fun.

Imp -> 3HD hag works really well.
Imp -> Halfling is great on a familiar.

This does make them much more useful as corruptors to. Who's going to listen to a random talking wolf? That old guy on the other hand....