PDA

View Full Version : What are your top 5 grafts?

CyberThread
2014-05-14, 04:34 PM
What grafts do you enjoy the most?

Necroticplague
2014-05-14, 04:59 PM
Silithar healing blood
Charming eye and fearsome eye (for very high-level games, passive sight improvement is useful)
Grappling Tentacle
Shoving Arm

I have more, but when i build a character with grafts, those are usually the ones I prioritize.

Zanos
2014-05-14, 06:14 PM
Feathered Wings gives extraordinary flight for 10k, which is pretty nice. You have to make a DC 15 will save or various nasty stuff happens if you aren't Evil, though.

Alleran
2014-05-15, 12:10 AM
Feathered Wings gives extraordinary flight for 10k, which is pretty nice. You have to make a DC 15 will save or various nasty stuff happens if you aren't Evil, though.
Zelekhut Wings do the same, though they're around 60k. On the bright side, no Will save, and they're big, shiny and metallic.

I'm also a fan of the Healing Blood and Glaring Eye.

Vortenger
2014-05-15, 12:21 AM
They're gawds-awful expensive, but all the Silthilar grafts take the cake for me. +4 to init has worked well in the past.

Forrestfire
2014-05-15, 01:51 AM
I'm a fan of the Illithid Weapon Graft, if only because I like the idea of weapon arms. One character concept I'd like to try at some point is someone with either a steel/bladed crossbow or an elvencraft/yuan-ti bow grafted onto them, so they can use wraithstrike on their ranged attacks. Probably supoptimal, but it seems like a cool idea.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-15, 04:55 AM
Fiendish Feathered Wings are a great bargain for nonmagical flight if you're willing to embrace the Evil.

One nifty thing about the Silthilar Flexible Spine graft is that it'll qualify you for Extended Reach (Savage Species) by virtue of having flexible body parts.

Breath of the Waves elemental graft is pretty good if you're not a spellcaster and need to just keep going; it'll negate a bunch of status effects, including fatigued and exhausted, once per hour.

If you should somehow pick up a burrow speed you'll want the Illithid Antennae graft for tremorsense.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-15, 05:06 AM
I like the fire elemental grafts. Get all of them and you'll have a +6 bonus to initiative and Reflex saves for 2/3 the cost of Flexible Spine, on top of fortification and a few minor fire abilities. The main downside is the 20 HP cost, though you also won't be able to have any of the other new-style grafts.

mabriss lethe
2014-05-15, 08:17 AM
Depends on the level of the game, mostly.

-Low to mid level, I prefer the Eberron grafts. They tend to be a bit less expensive on the whole, and have nifty synergy effects with each other. The particular species of graft varies based on what I want the character to accomplish.

-Higher level play, however is all about the Silithar grafts.

Vedhin
2014-05-15, 08:51 AM
Golden Dancing Pegleg (grants Mobility and Spring Attack)
Mutineer's Eye (+1d6 sneak attack)
Spyglass Eye (first 150ft have no Spot range penalty)
Feathered Wings (flight)
Charming Eye (See in Darkness)

Dr. Cliché
2014-05-15, 09:27 AM

Be honest - did you choose that just for the name? :smallwink:

Vedhin
2014-05-15, 09:32 AM
Be honest - did you choose that just for the name? :smallwink:

No. But the name is also cool. Seriously though-- you get two free feats, often used as feat tax.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-15, 09:53 AM

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of inspired to make a Bardblade pirate who dances on his golden peg leg. Probably call him "Gold-Leg Greg". The whimsy is approaching critical levels :smallbiggrin:

Vedhin
2014-05-15, 09:58 AM
Not gonna lie, I'm kind of inspired to make a Bardblade pirate who dances on his golden peg leg. Probably call him "Gold-Leg Greg". The whimsy is approaching critical levels :smallbiggrin:

Pirate grafts are in Dragon Magazine #318.

GutterFace
2014-05-15, 10:17 AM
HaHa i had a Fighter 2 (acf) / Marshal 6 that had a ton of Charisma with Shoving arms.+the minor aura for Bullrush. the dungeon crasher of my dreams

AmberVael
2014-05-15, 10:39 AM
1) Buffeting Fists (Air Elemental graft, Magic of Eberron)
Not so worth it at low levels, but at high levels this one is really quite absurd for its cost. If you have adequate dex, this is pretty much immunity to projectile attacks. (Also apparently you can bullrush people with it once per day but who cares about that part).

2) Heavy Legs (Warforged graft, Faiths of Eberron)
Immunity to Fatigue for 6,000 gold? I'll take it! Great for people who want to rage, in particular.

3) Wakeful Mind (Warforged graft, Faiths of Eberron)
No one likes stunning. The fact that you don't need sleep is just a bonus.

4) Weakening Arm (Undead Graft, Libris Mortis)
Twice per day, you can deal 1d6 strength damage on a touch. No save, which is nice. Oh, also just this other little thing- +4 inherent to strength. This is a big deal given that it is less than half the cost of getting an inherent bonus any other way (40,000 compared to the 110,000 of the manual of gainful exercise). A heavy discount on a good effect plus another decent ability? Gimme gimme.

5) Silithar Bones, Muscles, and Tendons (Silithar grafts, Lords of Madness)
Crazy expensive. But a +2 untyped bonus to your physical abilities. In the right context it can be quite worth it.

Darrin
2014-05-15, 10:40 AM
1. Serpent Arm (12000 GP, Serpent Kingdoms). 12K apiece, you can add as many as you like. Although they don't have hands and thus can't wield weapons, they do get a bite attack + poison. Add venomfire for extra giggles (just one spell, adds Xd6 damage on every bite attack).

2. Weakening Arm (40000 GP, Libris Mortis). +4 Str, 2/day 1d6 Str damage, *no save*.

3. Mighty Arms (1000 GP, Faiths of Eberron). Only 1K for a slam attack? Sold! Also allows you to add a battlefist, just in case you had hours and hours of free time to fill up trying to figure out how it works.

4. Heavy Legs (6000 GP, Faiths of Eberron). Never get fatigued again.

5. Stone Spitter (2000 GP, Fiend Folio). I can haz masheen-gun! Pew pew!

WhamBamSam
2014-05-15, 11:02 AM
Metabolic Fire is pretty cool, especially if you're optimizing around a breath weapon anyway, though it's a tad expensive and requires you to have another draconic graft already.