PDA

View Full Version : The Dnd equivalent: Pans Labrynth

dansimon30
2014-05-14, 09:58 PM
ok guys,

has any one seen the movie Pans Labrynth?

i need to make the DnD equivalent of some parts of pans labrynth. Namely the aspect where the Faun gives the girl a piece of chalk, a book and an hourglass.

I need to make it so that the chalk opens a door to a specific dimension
the doorway will shut once the sand in the hourglass runs out
in this dimension there is a monster that will keeeeel you if you eat from the table ( will saves?? DC's?? )

I have also incorporated a "Key" of sorts that will let my players read what is in the book - which gives them clues to the next tasks they have to do for the Faun.

Im a new DM and I have a ton of books - just lacking the knowledge on how to make these items make sense and balanced - any help would be appreciated.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-14, 10:02 PM
This all seems like pretty specialized, one-shot stuff, so you really don't need exact stats. You know what they have to do-- the chalk opens a portal to this demiplane for this much time; the food looks so good you have to make a (10+average PC level? 15+average PC level?) Will save or eat it and wake the monster; the book has their quests in it. I don't think you need any more than that.

Gildedragon
2014-05-14, 10:16 PM
Yeah. I mean the monster isn't even that fleshed out other than the peekaboo shtick it's got going on. Put in any bruiser you like and you're set. Maybe a claw rend swallow whole critter.

ArcanistSupreme
2014-05-14, 10:16 PM
But you do need to know how to say it all in Spanish.

The Random NPC
2014-05-14, 10:25 PM
This all seems like pretty specialized, one-shot stuff, so you really don't need exact stats. You know what they have to do-- the chalk opens a portal to this demiplane for this much time; the food looks so good you have to make a (10+average PC level? 15+average PC level?) Will save or eat it and wake the monster; the book has their quests in it. I don't think you need any more than that.

How about instead of a will save, make it a really awesome reward that carries an almost impossible challenge. Like permanent haste or something, but the monster is an Ikea Tarrasque. That way, if the players eat the food, they won't be pissed that they had to make a will save and failed.

Gildedragon
2014-05-14, 10:28 PM
But you do need to know how to say it all in Spanish.

La tarraska
The tarrasque

se ha comido
has eaten

a nuestro Barbaro demi-orco
our half-orc Barbarian

edit: I somehow misspelled tarrasque

malonkey1
2014-05-14, 10:30 PM
La tarraska
The tarraque

se ha comido
has eaten

our half-orc Barbarian

Fue divertidísimo.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-14, 10:57 PM
How about instead of a will save, make it a really awesome reward that carries an almost impossible challenge. Like permanent haste or something, but the monster is an Ikea Tarrasque. That way, if the players eat the food, they won't be pissed that they had to make a will save and failed.
Ooh, that's good, I like that. Maybe combine that idea with a real hourglass, if you can find one-- give the group a really limited amount of time to debate whether or not to eat it, really get the tension mounting.

ArcanistSupreme
2014-05-14, 11:33 PM
La tarraska
The tarraque

se ha comido
has eaten

our half-orc Barbarian

:smallbiggrin: