PDA

View Full Version : I need some quick help with a BBEG

Galathir
2007-02-13, 06:39 PM
I was just asked to run a BBEG/PC for a campaign I am not normally part of. The party is level three and I will be level eight. I need a very evil character who will frighten and shake up the party but not kill them all.

Here is the party composition: They just started playing D&D so they are pretty inexperienced. One character is evil but the other four are varying degrees of good. I think the party is made up of a human rogue, goliath barbarian, human cleric, gnome fighter, and something else.

I want to join in as a PC for a while before they realize what I am up to. I will probably play a re-occuring role in the campaign so while I don't want to kill the party, I don't want them to kill me either. I have access to nearly every 3.5 book, and anything goes, no matter how weird.

I was thinking possibly a Changeling Beguiler or a Swordsage.

Starting stats: 18, 17, 16, 14, 12, 10; + 2 points for level 4 and 8.

So, any ideas?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-13, 06:40 PM
What books do you have access to?

Galathir
2007-02-13, 07:01 PM
I have access to pretty much everything except the setting books (Faerun, Eberron, etc.)

Rahdjan
2007-02-13, 07:15 PM
Bust out Heros of Horror and that's all you'll need.

Spasticteapot
2007-02-13, 08:49 PM
Someone had to say it...

]Pun-Pun![

The Great Skenardo
2007-02-13, 10:29 PM
If you're seeking to hide your true nature, then a beguiler might work pretty well, but I think it'd be redundant for you to be a shifter as well. One or the other would probably be best. Also: Beguilers != terribly great BBEG. Big Bad Evil Masterminds, perhaps, but unless the level gulf remains quite wide you're unlikely to pose much of a threat later on in physical combat. Your swordsage idea might be good, if you link it with your shifter idea. The only problem is that Swordsages never really go half-measures, in my experience; either they're not attacking someone or they're reducing someone to bloody ribbons. A spellcaster of some sort helps to offer effects that can be both intimidating and non-lethal. (Evard's Tentacles, etc.)
If you're looking to be a recurring character, it helps to have some ability or trait that scares the bejeebus out of the players (you will be aided in your task by the fact that the PCs are relatively new to the game). The Giant talks about this a lot in his "Villain Workshop" articles; I'd reccommend browsing through those as well, if you haven't already.
nice abilities include; shapeshifting, greater invisibility, an unnerving animal companion or familiar that remains glamored or similar until the key moment...etc.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-13, 11:00 PM
I just introduced an awesome new villain/anti hero to my game. Removing his "other half" (we play gestalt) he's a rogue/assassin with lots of stealthy powers but no ranks in bluff. Why? Because he never lies.

He doesn't even manipulate the truth. He's just twisted in his world views, and believes he's doing the right thing. He's antagonistic to the PC's, but usually doesn't try to kill them- he'll slow them down and put them in danger quite often, but he considers them somewhere between harmless and misguided. For instance, after meeting them for the first time in a cavern, he escaped out of it early and poisoned their horses to make sure it would take them a little longer to get to the next city before he could.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-14, 12:45 AM
How about a Sorcerer focusing on Illusion and Enchantment spells? You have several ways of incapacitating the PC's and making a clean getaway that don't outright kill them

It won't be too horridly overpowered either, so they won't bitch at being TPK'd.

Sorcerers get Bluff as a class skill, and Charisma is their casting stat. Shouldn't be too difficult to run a scam on them, not with a few illusion spells to back it up and maybe a Suggestion or two at the right time.

Thomas
2007-02-14, 03:34 AM
Someone had to say it...

]Pun-Pun![

Nobody ever has to say that, but they still do. It stopped being funny around '04...

Going on Rahdjan's suggestion, get Heroes of Horror out and make a Beguiler/Dread Witch or something.

Galathir
2007-02-14, 10:28 AM
Great ideas guys. I am thinking of going Beguiler. I plan on blending in as part of the party, so I was thinking of passing myself off as a rogue. Changelings get 2d6 sneak attack and my level 8 melee skills are about the same as a level 3 melee character. Plus, I get all those lovely skills that rogues enjoy so much. Of course, my +1 Unholy merciful short sword might give me an edge, but I'll work with it. I'll just hide behind a false personna until the time is ripe. I got some pretty creepy stuff from Heroes of Horror and I'll be sure to look at the Villain Workship as well.l

AKA_Bait
2007-02-14, 10:30 AM
If you are planning on playing a BBEG that specializes in messing with their heads then the Beguiler isn't a bad idea. If you want to make sure he can run away etc. I'd consider throwing a few levels of monk in there. As for beating the stuffing out of the party but not killing them, if you are the BBEG that is what low powered minions are for. It should be pretty easy to get a bunch of those as a beguiler anyway. You can even have them attack the party when you are there and then snuff a few out before they reveal your duplicity.